General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Who's never crashed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Oh I have; two bad and a bunch not so bad.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Squid

VTR69
I've never crashed on the street. Crashed on the track though. Got bumped from behind while sitting at a stop sign once; the bike just shot out from under me and I stayed ahold of one clip on and almost kept the bike off the street but dropped it. Minor rash to the bike. I was unhurt. I've run into a planet several times on dirtbikes but when I was young enough to bounce.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I've got over 100,000 miles on a variety of bikes and have never crashed. For me, I think it boils down to the fact that I never ride faster than I can see. If I come up on a blind corner/intersection, I slow down. WAY DOWN if necessary. I don't care if "faster" guys pass me or get way ahead of me. I'm not riding to show off, or prove I'm "better" than anyone else. I ride to enjoy the bike, the road, the scenery and the experience. So someone gets there before I do. I had fun, and I got there. That's all I ever care about.

I'm not some ninny doing 35 on the right hand lane, I speed, split traffic, ride in the canyons/mountains and do track days, but I do it all where I feel the risks are acceptable, and if I have any doubt, I don't do it/slow down.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
I do firmly believe this; Guys who insist "you've either been down or going down" are ******* idiots who have programed themselves to crash.
You got that right. Anyone who has crashed and says something stupid like that is hoping that everyone else crashes because it will make him feel like less of an idiot. I've crashed on the road and felt embarrassed because you never think it will happen to you. It was not until I started track riding that I realized how dangerous street riding really is. When we ride fast on the street, the chances of a crash are 10x higher than at the track and the consequences are higher too. That said, I still give er on the backroads and truely hope that nobody ever crashes.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
I've got over 100,000 miles on a variety of bikes and have never crashed. For me, I think it boils down to the fact that I never ride faster than I can see. If I come up on a blind corner/intersection, I slow down. WAY DOWN if necessary. I don't care if "faster" guys pass me or get way ahead of me. I'm not riding to show off, or prove I'm "better" than anyone else. I ride to enjoy the bike, the road, the scenery and the experience. So someone gets there before I do. I had fun, and I got there. That's all I ever care about.

I'm not some ninny doing 35 on the right hand lane, I speed, split traffic, ride in the canyons/mountains and do track days, but I do it all where I feel the risks are acceptable, and if I have any doubt, I don't do it/slow down.
Very well said!

Those are all the rules I live by.
My big crash happened on a day when I broke them. I got caught up in the group mentality.

Now mountain bike crashing - that's another story. They tend to be random events that you can't pinpoint a reason for.

The fat lady sliding into my lane out of a string of cars in a snowstorm and totalling my beautiful, tricked out '82 Toyota pickup. Nothing I could do. I just pulled over to the guardrail and waited for the impact. That one hurt.

Another time, a kid saw a rake in the road, that everybody else coming the other direction was driving around to the right. Just as I came up to it, this kid shot across my lane in front of me and hit the right front corner of my truck and spun off into the ditch. Completely random - even more completely unavoidable.

22 years old. Two beers, getting squirrely in the rain, not taking wet leaves into account. Knocked that parking meter right over. Could have avoided that one.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Very well said!

Those are all the rules I live by.
I agree with that also.

I wrecked with I broke one of those rules. I was following a little to close and everyone in front slammed on theirs brakes and when I did, I hit a patch of rocks and fell over. very minimal damages.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
bought my first bike in 1964 @ 21yrs old. Racing everywhere and everything was the norm for me and the crazies I hung with and alcohol/drugs/weed/testoserone, not necessarily in that order, were the catalysts. No helmets, gloves, or glasses(lots of sandblasted eyeballs), no fairings or protective anything, standing on the seat, jumping things, running through the woods with roadbikes( 500 BSA and 750 Norton Atlas) because one bike had to do it all.
Basically, you weren't riding hard enough if you weren't scraping hard while bending turns and falling off at least once or twice during a summer.
I'm not saying what's right or wrong for anyone, just what happened to me. different world today! too many people and cops.

owned my hawk since 2000 and it's been down twice, both lowsides, the last one a 90mph+ front tire washout that totaled the bike. I bought it back for 1200 bucks and rebuilt it to a reconstructed title. I love this bike!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bowhawk
You got that right. Anyone who has crashed and says something stupid like that is hoping that everyone else crashes because it will make him feel like less of an idiot. I've crashed on the road and felt embarrassed because you never think it will happen to you. It was not until I started track riding that I realized how dangerous street riding really is. When we ride fast on the street, the chances of a crash are 10x higher than at the track and the consequences are higher too. That said, I still give er on the backroads and truly hope that nobody ever crashes.

Obviously everyone has crashed including yourselves, one way or another. so the statement stands true.

Anyone who says this is not a "******* idiot".... they are just being realistic.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Squid

Titanium05 is on a distinguished road
I dont know if you call crashing in the yard going down, but that is the only wreck I have had knock on wood. Wife washed the car in the grass, then I came cruising though to take it to the back to wash, down I went into the mud lol. Only good news is no damage other than really needing a bath at that point.

I do think if you ride long enough it will happen. I just make sure I have all the gear I can to make it as painless as possible
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Titanium05
I do think if you ride long enough it will happen.
There are plenty of people who drive their entire lives and never have an "accident". Why is it such a stretch to apply the same to Motorcycle Riders? There are plenty of riders who have NEVER had an accident.

Motorcycle Rider does NOT equal "accident waiting to happen". That's what everyone has been brought up to believe, what your parents tell you, what the mainstream media tells you, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Just because the sun will come up tommrow does not equal "everyone will get into a motorcycle accident, or car accident for that matter".

Is it PROBABLE? Yes But it's not, by any means, in-escapable.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

It's funny to even try to argue this.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
It should be funny for the guy telling me I WILL crash my motorcycle. Because he can't be serious.

Will I crash my car too?

Will I hit a pedestrian?

Will I drive through the side of a house and kill a family of 6?

Will I get struck by lightning?

Yes, some aren't avoidable, and yes, there's a chance that any of the above will happen to any of us, but it just doesn't seem necessary or useful to even say it. I agree with bowhawk. People say it because it makes them feel less stupid or responsible for their own crashes.

It's like when you hear "I had to lay it down"... bla bla bla. Brakes or turning slow you down and manuever better than sliding plastic does. So I can't think of too many circumstances where laying it down would lessen the impact.

I'll listen to someone tell me about their crash(es), and tell me what they would do differently next time those circumstances come up. But I'm not going to tolerate someone telling me I'm destined to eat pavement.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Squid

Titanium05 is on a distinguished road
I am not saying everyone will have the earth ending crash that causes a 32 car pile up. However I still stand that if you ride for long enough you will drop the bike or something small. I try to believe that if you ride long enough you will go down because it helps me wear gear every time.

If I was on the bike not the SUV today I am almost for sure I would have went down. Driving along and there was antifreeze and oil in the road where a crash had been. No one cleaned this up and it was squirly driving the car though.

I am not trying to make anyone mad just think that alot of the people that dont wear gear have the mentality that "they will never go down"
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road

I agree. Its not inevitable and the above has A LOT to do with it in most cases. statistically if you don't ride and drink and don't ride at night and have some expereince under your belt you eliminate a lot of them right off the top. You can never see or control for all the other idiots on the road who seem intent on maming you. and no doubt miles logged makes a difference in terms of how much risk you are exposed to each day especially those of you in heavy urban traffic. I have not had a street crash since my first year of riding at age 16 or 17 and that is now 32 years ago and I'm sure that is not purely do to luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I sent pictures of my new bike to a friend of mine, because I'm super-psyched to finally have it and be bringing it all full-circle.

He sent a reply that said "Didn't you learn anything from the last one??"

F*^K him.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Sure not everyone will crash, but if you think it will never happen to YOU, it will. I rode like an idiot a few years ago but slowed down to cruisers before my luck ran out. Was doing good and riding sensibly for the most part THEN I went down 3 times in 3 months. All were not my fault but I could have decreased my odds by better evaluating the risks at the time.

Another lesson I learned is that no matter what you do, your shiny brand new bike will fall over. Eventually.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Sure not everyone will crash...

...Another lesson I learned is that no matter what you do, your shiny brand new bike will fall over.
Yes sir! Gotcha loud and clear.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Like I said, anybody can crash. I don't go through life thinking "I can't crash". I remind myself and insist I don't intend to crash. I just figure I create my own life. When you insist to yourself that you will crash eventually, what are you creating?

Look at it this way;

50%-60% of marriages end badly. If you get married and keep intending- keep insisting to yourself that it's only a matter of time before your wife starts screwing some other guy and leaves you, you're more likely to end up in that 50%-60%.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RCVTR
I sent pictures of my new bike to a friend of mine, because I'm super-psyched to finally have it and be bringing it all full-circle.

He sent a reply that said "Didn't you learn anything from the last one??"

F*^K him.
I'm guessing your friend doesn't ride. Riding is sort of like religion. "Nothing you can say will change my mind, but it might change my willingness to listen to you."

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 02-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RK1
50%-60% of marriages end badly. If you get married and keep intending- keep insisting to yourself that it's only a matter of time before your wife starts screwing some other guy and leaves you, you're more likely to end up in that 50%-60%.
That's preventable too. Don't get married.

Actually it doesn't hurt to be sensible about it and not dive into the deep end with someone if you haven't done the complete test "ride" yet.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I have been reading this post from the start so I guess I will add my opinion...
I will be 49 next month and started riding and racing dirt bikes at 5 and street bikes at 15 and yes I have been down and have my share of pins and screws, but my serious get off's
have been in the dirt... Most racer types push the envelope from time to time and the smart ones save it for the track. I have always live by "When It's Your Time It's Your Time" whether your sleeping or doing a buck 50 on the back straight...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I was only doing about 50 mph on Sunrise Highway east of San Diego with my wife following me, showing her lines, when an 8 point buck shot across the road not more than 8 feet in front of me. If I'd been doing my usual pace, I would have hit the deer for sure.

If it's your time, it's your time.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Squid

Joe Kano is an unknown quantity at this point
Dudes, Ive pulled the envelope so many times over years I can't even remember them all but I got the scares to prove it LOL. Mostly cuz of showing off back when I was immature. The worse was when I tried to wheelie with my fiance on back. Back end was to heavy and we went over real fast. Not a scratch on me (thank the Lord) but she had to have constructive surgery on her face and didn't looked the same as before. Her daddy was furious. Course I broke off the wedding soon after that.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
SuperSport

That's not your fault though, cuz you told her to lay off the oreos and cool whip like 6 months earlier.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Well, **** happens. I pray to none of us....ever.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Joe Kano
Not a scratch on me (thank the Lord) but she had to have constructive surgery on her face and didn't looked the same as before. Her daddy was furious. Course I broke off the wedding soon after that.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Joe Kano
Dudes, Ive pulled the envelope so many times over years I can't even remember them all but I got the scares to prove it LOL. Mostly cuz of showing off back when I was immature. The worse was when I tried to wheelie with my fiance on back. Back end was to heavy and we went over real fast. Not a scratch on me (thank the Lord) but she had to have constructive surgery on her face and didn't looked the same as before. Her daddy was furious. Course I broke off the wedding soon after that.
Unfortunately, I unloaded three passengers during my early years, all related to DUI. Two of these people bugged me relentlessly for a ride when I knew was too impaired to be responsible for myself, let alone a passenger.

First one was a low side(750 Norton), gravel on turn, bike stuck under car bumper, buddy's girl(pants ripped off), and pushed bike 1/2 mile back to bar.

Second was 4am left curve lowside where 3 of us(me, rider, and 1000cc Interceptor) sliding into yard and luckily narrowly missing a large oak. This guy pushed me ad nauseam for a ride after much partying, then, after being scared sober, stated that he wanted to go home. I was really pissed at trashing my new Interceptor for this dork, so I took him for a horror run that taught him a lesson he'll never forget.

Third> warned friend to hold on, but he was too macho i guess. Slowed for stop sign and then hit throttle hard. Bike wheelied so fast he came off, legs flying past my ears, backflipped and landed on his *** in the intersection.

Fortunately, no one was injured in any off these.

These were the good old days, I guess?

Last edited by nath981; 02-10-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Taking his posts seriously has been known to cause dizzyness and constipation.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Found out the hard way that mining silt and a light rain equals *** on the ground in short order.

The deer stories made me LOL. I swear that dear hears me coming toward the house. I'm just about to pass the power lines and that little ***** sticks his head out of the bushes by the side of the road. I think he's f*cking with me. Nearly gives you a heart attack.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
There are plenty of people who drive their entire lives and never have an "accident". Why is it such a stretch to apply the same to Motorcycle Riders? There are plenty of riders who have NEVER had an accident.

Motorcycle Rider does NOT equal "accident waiting to happen". That's what everyone has been brought up to believe, what your parents tell you, what the mainstream media tells you, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Just because the sun will come up tommrow does not equal "everyone will get into a motorcycle accident, or car accident for that matter".

Is it PROBABLE? Yes But it's not, by any means, in-escapable.
actually, statistically speaking you will get into both before you're done. if you haven't been in at least a fenderbender, then you are already overdue. if you are the freak and it never happens, then good for you. you beat the odds. but make no mistake, you beat the ODDS. the vast majority of people get into an accident at some point. expect it. I can't believe there are people out there who get a license with the idea that they will never be in an accident. car or bike. its just a given. **** happens. to everybody. I don't know why you think you can avoid it. even if you never make a mistake(unlikely as that is) you don't think anybody on the road with you is gonna screw up? for the rest of your life? really?

Quick Reply: Who's never crashed?