General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Whoops! when Wrenching?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Whoops! when Wrenching?

Okay, following up on Maverick's painted tank drop, what 'slips' have happened to you when working on your bike?

I'll start: Years ago, when I was but a mere green-thumb, I changed the oil on my Interceptor, and then went about changing out the front brake pads. No problem, right?

Well, I got the old pads out just fine, but when I went to put in the new ones my hand bumped the tire or something and the new pads dropped into the bucket of old oil sitting right where I left it after draining.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I like to let the oil drain from the motor during the oil change for a long time (get it all out). I just leave the pan underneath and come back in 15 mintues....

Well... after my 15 mintues I come back and just pickup the new gallon jug of of oil, open the crankcase and start pouring... needless to say after a few minutes I see oil seeping across my garage floor... I never put the drain plug back in.... now I got a hell of a mess, and I'm short 2 quarts of expensive *** oil !!! Pissed is an understatment.

Other highlights....
Assorted stripped threads....
Assorted dropped bolts/washers/nuts that dissappear in thin air...
And not remembering to fully tighten the lugs on the frotn wheels on my old mustang... I got two blocks and couldn't figure out why the car was shaking so damn bad!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of years ago I bled the clutch. Took off for a ride to the local grocery store, no problem. When I went to leave I found out that I didnt wrench down on the fitting that I had drained the clutch by. It was only hand tight.

As a result I had to start the bike in gear, and could not come to a complete stop on the way home. Luckly the house was only a couple of miles down the road.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
When I installed my Givi rack on the SuperHawk when I still had it, I had to drill a hole through the inner fender for the right U-bolt. You really shouldn't drill from the outside of the fender when there is a wiring harness for the brake light in the path of the drill bit. I got lucky.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:21 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
when hunting a gremlin a while back I was testing everything including coils and some how forgot to reconnect my front spark plug. I then spent the next half hour or so trying to figure out why it was now running so bad. (Slaps forehead).

Another one not really my fault but still worth mentioning. I drained my oil, and then proceeded to not be able to get the oil filter off to the point of breaking my filter tool. The shop did my valves service I had them do a 16,000 mile maintenance which included an oil change. So I called them and they said "ok bring it in and we will get it off"...yeah... Anyways I had to run to the store for a new tool and needless to say I finally got it off but the filter looked like a stepped on pop can. The shop also said they get stuck over time. It had only been 2 months, what they should have said is we had our new guy do it and he used a 3 foot breaker bar to tighten your filter down.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
yeah ,one time when I was changing my tires ,I was working on the rear and didn't really have a sturdy bike stand at the time ,and wouldn't you know it ,,she frickin' fell right over , doh !!! ,,put a nice scuff on my brand new sharkskinz . Thankfully they weren't painted .....

Last edited by dickard37; 04-22-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
We were doing a valve adjustment a couple weeks ago. My mechanic buddy said "Be sure not to drop the shims down into the engine." On about the 3rd one the oil on the shim & the oil on my finger cohered & the shim stuck to my finger for a split second. Clink, clink-clink, clink, clink.

Fished around with a magnet stick for about a half hour with no luck. Took the clutch cover off and there it was in the sump.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I was laying under my truck working on it and had my 3-D cell maglight wedged up in the frame to light the work area.

I bumped the flashlight, which was about 2 feet above my face and it came falling down, end first and luckily only hit me solid in the upper lip. An inch or two either way and it might have broke my teeth or broke my nose. I had a fat lip the rest of the day.

I think I've poured new oil in also with no drain plug on.

I was helping a friend put a lift kit on his truck, it was on jackstands and with blocked tires on a slight incline. For some reason he decided to jack it up higher which picked the tires up past the blocks and it went rolling down the driveway towards the neighbor's new truck in the street. He ran behind it to try and stop it (stupid) and sprained his ankle in the process. The truck basically stopped on its own in the street.

That's not nearly as good as my brother who was changing brakes on my dad's truck, but before bleeding them decided to move the truck into the driveway. We all stood there and watched him crash slow-motion style into my dad's other truck and smashed the fenders on both.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Installing frame sliders, wrenching so hard that I tipped the bike off the stands, and cracked the fairing.....how is that for ironic?
I know have un-scuffed & pristine sliders with a crack left hand side fairing…..

But I am also the 1st to admit that I have 2 left hands when it comes to wrenching anything......
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip

Well, I got the old pads out just fine, but when I went to put in the new ones my hand bumped the tire or something and the new pads dropped into the bucket of old oil sitting right where I left it after draining.

Haha I dropped my new pads into a can of grease...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Oh geez I'm a mechanic I have a million of these. One time while helping a friend bleed his brakes on an old pick up, I was at the wheel cracking the bleeder valve loose, and when I reached behind me to grab my bottle of mountain dew, I took a swig and realized it was DOT4. Vomit everywhere...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
My father, RIP, sanctimonious perfectionist that he was, had started a change out the rotted gaiters on his '72 R/75 when I rolled into his garage on my RS. The coffee was good and times were easy so I settled in to watch and harass.

For two and a half hours I observed as the entire front end of his bike was disassembled, cleaned, compared to spec and suffered the lecture on maintenance from on high.

He even used a torque wrench on the triple tree fasteners as he reassembled all the now hand polished pieces. Handing the empty coffee cup to my mother, I pointed at the still factory wrapped fork bellows and asked my father, "So, when was it you were going to install those gaiters?"

So intent on being my guiding light, he had lost track of what his original mission was and had put the entire front end of his bike back together without installing the gaiters. I laughed hard as he realized that the front end had to come apart again.
Somewhere in the ephemeral universe I am sure he continues to slap his forehead.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Ha! good memory of the old man!

My favorite is always getting the airbox installed, lid on gas tank on and buttoned down, seat on, ready to ride.

And there are the good ol' veloctiy stacks, sitting on the workbench.

Not that I've ever done it. Heard about it somewhere...

going way back, i strapped the back end of my CBR600 up to the rafters, by a single rope and took the back wheel off. Front wheel decides to turn sideways, revealing degrees of freedom I had never imagined. Mirror, brake lever, windscreen... And you thought a dead body was hard to pick up?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
When I was a kid I forgot to torque one of the 8 spark plugs I'd just installed on my 66 Ford 289 cu in motor and got a nice explosion when I went around and fired her up...it was getting dark so the fire shot all the way up to the top of the open hood Lucky I was able to get to enough threads to install a new plug and I was good to go...don't think I've ever installed plugs since on anything w/o double checking that they all got torqued
Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Wearing the Vtwin grin!
Squid

Bikephreak is on a distinguished road
I changed oil in my car and had the open pan of oil still sitting on the garage floor. I reached down and lifted the pan about two inches off the floor when it slipped out of my hands and dropped splashing oil in my face. What I didn't realize since I closed my eyes to avoid the oil was my cell phone falling out of my shirt pocket and landing in the oil pan. I found it 12 hours later.....
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Well. It's not a mechanic's story... but.

I got this shiney new Fluke 87 III from the company. Man, I was proud of it. You guys know how much they cost... well, Being new to the meter and anxious to use it. I whipped it out, hooked up the leads, turned it on, and proceeded to test voltage on a circuit that we were troubleshooting... POW! and blinding sparks!... WTF? Everyone ok?... M(*%&#(F(&*%#!.. My new meter is toasted! Oh man how am I gonna explain this? How am I gonna replace it?

I had it turned to measure ohms.. not voltage, causing it to "short" the circuit. Luckily I discovered that Fluke in their infinite wisdom made provisions for such an incident. Changed the fuse inside, bought new leads.. good to go.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Several years ago after changing the oil on my wife's Toyota pick-up, I started it to circulate the oil and fill the filter. Just then a very high strung student, who talked a mile a minute, came up to ask me a question. I got distracted (that's my excuse anyway) and closed and locked the door with the engine still running.

Good thing we had a slim jim in the tool room.

Too many other mistakes on cars to list. Fortunately for me, mistakes on bikes have been limited to getting it back together and finding I'd left something out, or the dreaded vacuum hose in the wrong location on the VTR fuel valve.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 04-23-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Oh I just remembered a good one from about 25 years ago.

I finished adjusting the valves on my '78 CX500 (easy job) and was tightening the last valve cover bolt......SNAP....#*%&! I had a 20 mile ride home from school (I taught Vocational Automotives) and the nearest dealer didn't have the bolt in stock.

I rode home holding the valve cover tight with my right knee. You'd have to know that the CX500 was a longitudinal V-twin, like Moto Guzzi. It only leaked a few drops onto my jeans, and I got a new bolt at a dealer 30 miles away the next day.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Nothing like watching a couple quarts of new oil blow onto the ground to remind you to double check the old oil filter gasket came off with the old filter. Evidently, a gasket snugged against another gasket doesn't make the best seal.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
A few years ago when I was a young squidly Hardley owner, I was installing a Hypercharger filter in my friend's garage. We did this often, adding bits of expensive chrome to our pitiful bikes while drinking some ice cold beer. Since the Hypercharger was a little more in depth than slapping a chrome cover on something I had more than the recommended dose of beer. 2 I think. Get everything figured out and I'm tightening the bolts that mount the bracket to the carb. One of them seemed to tighten but then loosened up so I kept wrenching away. Turns out I used the stock airbox bolts instead of the shorter Hypercharger bolts. Punched a perfect hole directly into the side of the carb! Luckily I was able to drop the float, fish the piece out and JB weld it back in place with no leaks.

Another annoying occurence while working in my garage and it happens almost daily is spending more time looking for the tool I need than it takes to do the job.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Many moons ago did the front pads on my GSX1100G (remember them?). Went for a test ride and the first time I used the front brake.. SCREETCH!! Put the pads in back to front,backing plate side to the rotor... opps!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
The infamous story at a shop that I used to work at was with one of their car lifts. At night they would park customers cars in the shop. One day they had to many cars so they doubled them up by parking some under the cars on the lift. You can see where this is going. Well something failed in the middle of the night and when they opened in the morning the other car was sitting directly on top the other, doh!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:31 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by steve.g
Many moons ago did the front pads on my GSX1100G (remember them?). Went for a test ride and the first time I used the front brake.. SCREETCH!! Put the pads in back to front,backing plate side to the rotor... opps!
Ouch!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Here in NYC there are many parking lots using lifts to increase capacity - I've wondered about this very thing. I suppose it's rare, though.

Originally Posted by yruyur
The infamous story at a shop that I used to work at was with one of their car lifts. At night they would park customers cars in the shop. One day they had to many cars so they doubled them up by parking some under the cars on the lift. You can see where this is going. Well something failed in the middle of the night and when they opened in the morning the other car was sitting directly on top the other, doh!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Squid

TimP is on a distinguished road
I changed my snows for summer tires and did the forget-to-torque-the-lug-nut thing decades ago on my Datsun 510. I remembered while sliding around the local on-ramp on a "test drive" afterwards. Felt silly on the shoulder with the tire iron, but relieved that nothing had backed off.

More recently (last Fall) I was putting the bikes to bed for the winter and was surprised that the new oil filter for my K-bike didn't fit. Back to the shop (20 miles), much checking of part numbers, comparing to the old filter, but everything look kosher and no-one could figure it out. Went home, reached up inside the oil filter well and found the old filter's gasket stuck to the flange. No wonder the new filter didn't screw on. The threads were nowhere close to contacting each other.