General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

WHEELIES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
Question WHEELIES?

I have a question. It seems that numerous people wheelie. I have no way thought of even attempting it. Is it easy? sorry i am a noob.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
i have yet to get my front tire much more than an inch off the ground ... i hear it is easy in first on the hawk but there must be a technique to it that i am missing
Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Back Marker

434josh is on a distinguished road
my hawk wheelies in 1st gear any where between 3 and 5k any more than half throttle. iin 2nd, roll up to about 6500, then let off for a split second then snap to full. this is a more pleasant and controlable wheelie. it will continue skyward until about 8k, then grab 3rd and hold on. i can usually go thru 4th fairly easily.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
Just the thought is exciting and scary all in one.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Back Marker

damn i must be doing something wrong or something aint right with my bike (stock gearing) cause i have slapped the hell out of the throttle in 2nd and never had the tire come up
Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 434josh
my hawk wheelies in 1st gear any where between 3 and 5k any more than half throttle. iin 2nd, roll up to about 6500, then let off for a split second then snap to full. this is a more pleasant and controlable wheelie. it will continue skyward until about 8k, then grab 3rd and hold on. i can usually go thru 4th fairly easily.
With stock gearing??? I was having to bounce to get up in 2nd with just throttle on stock gearing... i've got the -1 now, but after the crash a few weeks ago, i don't have the nerve built back up to try again.. lol atleast for a while....

1st gear, stock gearing, on the hawk.. If you run up to about 5K, then just snap to full throttle, the front will come sky high for sure... Can only ride 1st gear for a short time before hitting rev limiter, and comming right back down.. But honestly, if you have never wheelied before, you would be better off with stock gearing for now, and learning to keep it up for more than a second in 1st... When you do this, you have to learn to keep the throttle smooth, and you will see what i'm talking about if you start to play around... The first few times, you will more than likely pull it up, then slam it back down because the wheel comming up startles you, then you let off the throttle... by doing this a few times, you learn how to power through it, and let it back down smooth... Then your ready for a slightly higher speed wheelie in 2nd...

But by all means.. please be safe, wear full gear, and try this in a unpopulated place... city or residential streets are not safe.. even if you go down and are ok, what about the people/property your bike could run into? so seriously, i know there are tons of people showing off in unsafe area's, and I have been guilty too.. Do not try to learn where you could hurt others...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
first gear wheelies easy, and you can just shift through the gears in mid-wheelie to keep from dropping the front end down really hard by accident. second gear, it works best to get around 5k rpm and then dump the clutch at 8k. it pulls it up no problem.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
first gear wheelies easy, and you can just shift through the gears in mid-wheelie to keep from dropping the front end down really hard by accident. second gear, it works best to get around 5k rpm and then dump the clutch at 8k. it pulls it up no problem.
It took me FOREVER to learn to shift on one wheel.. So not a noobie thing for sure... And I prefer to not clutch them up.. Some say they are more stable that way, but I think they come up way to drastic when you clutch them....
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Back Marker

wonder if there is sumthing with my bike then ... course i am not shifting any weight back or anything but i am also not leaning overthe tank but ...

it is kind of a parking lot thing something to keep me entertained while my woman is running on the track cause i hate her being up there alone but i also cant stand to sit there for over an hour doing nothing

you will never cath me on 1 wheel on a road .... EVER ... too many variables, i do my playing in safe areas
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Gotta be a BIG parking lot... Take a look at how fast you are going at 5K in 1st, then at redline.. those are the speeds you will be traveling when you do a 1st gear wheelie...

How's your chain/sprockets? ANY superhawk that is running proper, and has tensioned chain, and decent shape sprockets, WILL wheelie in 1st gear at 4500-5500 rpm for sure.. just snap the throttle and she will go
Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
My wheelie career was stained by too many close calls
My stock gearing don't allow me to power up 2 nd gear wheelies, so I was clutching them, when I saw a few friends, guess what, wrong gear I was in first and gave a hell of a clutch hit, followed by a sissy throttle closure witch resulted in a rapid gravitational action on the front end, lost the pegs and flattened my *****, destroying my supply of testosterone for a while.
Not mentioning landing headshakes, throttle stuck due to bad grip, too steep angles...
To this day I'm still in wheelie trauma and can't attempt another
I should try on dirtbikes first

Last edited by gboezio; 04-24-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
A more powerful bike does power wheelies soooo much better. I can ride a sitting power wheelie for several hundred feet on my 160rwhp 1000RR, but I'm too much of a Sally to attempt to find the balance point. I've only attempted a stand-up a time or two. Just too squidly for me. I'd rather play in the twisties.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Back Marker

its a pretty big lot for a 5a high school so should have plenty of room
Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PRTSMN
Just the thought is exciting and scary all in one.
they are fun though.

tim
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Back Marker

I was taught a long time ago NOT to use the clutch while upshifting under hard acceleration, so shifting while the front end is waaaay up is no bid deal. Short shift to stay under the curve and in the goooood torque, and it will stay up as long as you have the nads for. At about 7.5-8k it falls way off, but under that, it has plenty of guts for wheelies.

synaptik,

I ride my sh to work almost everyday around 4am. There is one in town turn after a red light, that if I get on it a liiiiitle too hard, the front wheel is up and I am still leaned over at about 30 degrees to the right.
I am never drowsey in the weee hours at work! My ride in is way fun. We need to go on a ride together sometime. I just live a few miles north of you. there are plenty of good twisties around north texas.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 434josh
I was taught a long time ago NOT to use the clutch while upshifting under hard acceleration, so shifting while the front end is waaaay up is no bid deal. Short shift to stay under the curve and in the goooood torque, and it will stay up as long as you have the nads for. At about 7.5-8k it falls way off, but under that, it has plenty of guts for wheelies.

synaptik,

I ride my sh to work almost everyday around 4am. There is one in town turn after a red light, that if I get on it a liiiiitle too hard, the front wheel is up and I am still leaned over at about 30 degrees to the right.
I am never drowsey in the weee hours at work! My ride in is way fun. We need to go on a ride together sometime. I just live a few miles north of you. there are plenty of good twisties around north texas.

i am free sat afternoon this week. i get off work at noon ... i am actually right near mckinney
Old 04-24-2008, 10:10 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
The VTR is so easy to pull a power wheelie its crazy.

I usually only pull 2nd and third gear power wheelie's with slight clutch slip. As a life long Dirt bike rider slipping the clutch ever so slightly while the engine is around 5K is easiest for me.

Like Greg i mainly pull a power wheelie and ride it out, i can't balance wheelie on the VTR, but i can on my CRF. I think its a fear of busting plastic. Dropping a Dirt Bike is expected, so the fear is not as big.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I think everybody should ride the way they want, but I don't like doing wheelies on the street with a 480 lb. bike. What I'd like to know is how to use full throttle in first gear without lifting the front wheel? And if I run to the top of first at partial throttle, climb up on the tank, bang second and go full throttle, the front comes right up. My question is how do you not wheelie the VTR?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lie+motorcycle

Very good vid on the wheelie...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
that was a good vid!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
PRTSMAN I am positive i have the answer for you, as I solved my troubles with it. i think that you need to twist the throttle to full with the bike off, so you know exactly where stop is. I discovered that when I twisted what i thought was 3/4 it was actually less than half, and now when I twist on in first I am about where 3/4 really is. Up She goes! Good luck, stay safe, don't panic when she lifts.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
O.K. boys, here's the deal. The VTR is a wheelie Savage. 1st gear, just twist it. 2nd gear, accelerate a little, drop the throttle - then hammer it. 3rd gear, accelerate hard, feather the clutch, then up she goes. I have yanked the front end up in 4th and 5th depending on speed, RPM and the size of the knoll I'm going over. The whole time, I'm just a smilin'....
Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, if you're geared like I am (dropped one tooth in the front, added two in the rear), watch firts gear, she'll flip right over backwards. I tend to do all my wheelies in 2nd and 3rd gear. Usually grab another while the front end is in the air..
Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I'm w/ RK1 on this one...

Originally Posted by RK1
I think everybody should ride the way they want, but I don't like doing wheelies on the street with a 480 lb. bike. What I'd like to know is how to use full throttle in first gear without lifting the front wheel? And if I run to the top of first at partial throttle, climb up on the tank, bang second and go full throttle, the front comes right up. My question is how do you not wheelie the VTR?
squids tell me to do a wheelie and i tell 'em that wheelies aren't fast...but whenever i get on it from a dead stop i have to short shift when it's coming on up...which isn't so fast either, lol
Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I can pop a wheelie just as easy as getting a boner on an Italian beach . But is it possible to hold it without shifting? And if you shift gear, is it with or w/out the clutch?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
I can pop a wheelie just as easy as getting a boner on an Italian beach . But is it possible to hold it without shifting? And if you shift gear, is it with or w/out the clutch?
Without...

The VTR is as Hammer said a wheelie monster... On stock gearing I could get it up without using the clutch in second, +1 in the back and 3'rd goes clutchless...

-1+2 which seems many runs, I could get it up in 4'th with clutch without much effort...

I actually put the 5mm washer in the back to help keep the front end down and gain speed instead... It does make it a tad less wheelie happy...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Are you guys that are saying you can pull up in 2nd w/o clutch running stock jetting w/ you -1+2? Or is my 6'5" 190lbs body too much up front? I have to rev and dump at about 45 mph in 2nd to get 'er up.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
By the way, this reminded me of the cop who pulled me over for doing a wheelie. He told me how he could arrest me and impound my bike and everything. We talked a few minutes and I said I'd be more careful. Right before I got on my bike he goes,"By the way, I have a CBR600, how did you do that? I've been trying, and can't get it to work." I left cussing from the relief of not getting arrested and frustration from the question. I should have done another.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lhoward1134
Are you guys that are saying you can pull up in 2nd w/o clutch running stock jetting w/ you -1+2? Or is my 6'5" 190lbs body too much up front? I have to rev and dump at about 45 mph in 2nd to get 'er up.

2nd gear, no clutch, stock gearing. 5'11" 200 lbs.
Like I said before, run up to about 5500 - 6000, back out a little to load the front, then as the springs are rebounding, snap the throttle to full. The only time mine won't just stand right up is when the "three turn throttle" stops me because my wrist wont go far enough. Really need a shorter throw throttle.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
6'2" 210 lbs... Stock gearing, shimmed but otherwise stock jetting and I could do powerwheelies in second...

Add two teeth in the rear and powerwheelies in 3'rd are possible but takes a bit of coaxing... This is what I have now...

15/43 wich seems popular but to me was to buzzy and I could do 3'rd gear easy and clutch up in 4'th...

Quick Reply: WHEELIES?