General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Wheel check-up completed, and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Wheel check-up completed, and stuff...

Hey folks,

further to some comments I read on the Net about the longevity of cast magnesium wheels, I sent my PVMs to a metallurgist for an inspection and evaluation. I just got them back to day and they were given a clean bill of health so to speak. The only problem is they had to grind a bit of the powdercoating off in two spots for the testing so I am now looking at my options for masking it up (may try to match the paint, also considering sticking on some HRC stickers ). With that behind me and a little unexpected influx of cash (from some freelancing journalism), I decided to give myself a couple of Xmas presents and ordered hybrid ceramic wheel bearings all around as well as a carbon fibre front fender. On a more practical level, I picked a brand new fork tube for my 900RR forks to replace the current left leg which has a light chip in the chrome (although it never caused any problems with the seals). The right leg, a chronic leaker (this despite three new seals and new bushings in the past 2 years), will be retiring in favour of another I picked on eBay. I am putting in new seals and bushings all around. That SHOULD keep me hassle-free for a long while (or so I hope anyhow).

I also bought a set of used front rotors tomount on my front PVM. These are supposed to be low mileage and look pretty good in the pics. I toyed with the idea of getting wave rotors but the cost of them was just too high. Besides, I am told the stock Honda rotors, while a bit heavier than some of the aftermarket stuff, hold up well, especially with some of the high-performance pads (like HRC hard bites, or the high-end Vesrahs). I ordred a set of Vesrah RJL's to replace my Hard Bites which are getting thin too. Finally, I will be trying a BT-016 190/55 in the rear (a natural fit for my 6-inch rear PVM rim) and a 100/55W bulb for the headlight.

That's it for now... It'll be nice to get everything mounted up and back together for next spring. Hopefully we get more snow here soon so I can get out and partake in my other favourite hobby, snowmobiling.

cheers

Last edited by mikstr; 12-17-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Shame about the powdercoat damage.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:39 AM
MotoGP

Agree, but it`ll take it over an exploding wheel any day (especially with the paved-over cowtrails they call roads around here).....
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
your spec list in your sig is nice, you got a build thread or any pics i can check out?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
MotoGP

I have a few pics posted in the albums section

cheers