General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What's your best riding tip for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
98' SH stock
Squid

Moehawk005 is on a distinguished road
i always have my gear on
and now am makin the adjusment on drivin here in denver from norcal (different drivers)
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
If you see a long shadow extending in front of your bike, oncoming drivers may not see you because they're looking into the sun.

It's easier to notice the movement of a stopped vehicle on a side street if you look for the wheels of the vehicle starting to rotate.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I also ride covering the brake and clutch levers...just in case, and it'll save a second or so if I need 'em....

+1 on the riding gear...leathers, boots, gloves and a decent lid...every time, all the time....
Old 05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by midwest22
On warm days be sure to only wear tank tops, shorts and NO gloves. And make sure the skinny little (clueless) passenger is wearing the same but with high heals. To top it off, put one of those mohawks on your helmet so you can be seen on your GSXR a lot easier. And, don't forget that it's "cool" to do a wheelie with your passenger on the back.

For the responsible people in the room, do the exact opposite of the above! But feel free to come to Southern California for the show

In So. Cali too? Damn I thought those douchebags were only here in upstate NY :P
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
- Don´t look at your fan in the right side.
If you worried too much about your operative temp you might crash at the rear of some stop lights, and the temp will be the last of your problems.
I do this a lot.

- Be aware of car doors semi closed, or a bit open at parked cars along the road.
There´s a big chance that the driver will suddenly open his door without looking back, and you´ll crash with it.
This hapens a lot here.

- Take very atention to the pavement ......(don´t recall the word, how do you say when the pavement is shining and it only takes a bit of front brake to that front weel take of and get alive by itself?)

- be very carefull with those walking throw guys that dont really know if is going to cross the road in front of the bike or not.
The "make up your mind man, are you going to cross it or not?" Sometimes they do!

Last edited by luis saleiro; 05-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
You can listen to all of us talk about various things, but the best bet is to take the beginner and advanced MSF courses. You'll get all the good info from one source in a logical, organized manner.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
You can listen to all of us talk about various things, but the best bet is to take the beginner and advanced MSF courses. You'll get all the good info from one source in a logical, organized manner.
+1

SIPDE: search, identify, predict, decide, execute.

tim
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Always do a pre ride inspection of you bike. You never know if and when you may have a loose bolt or what not. And ALWAYS check make sure you check your tire pressure and lube your chain regularly. Last thing you want is a blow out or your chain failing because you lacked on preventitive maintance.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
It all simply boils down to 5 words:

RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE!

Last edited by FL02SupaHawk996; 05-19-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spell
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I almost forgot.....

Don't sneeze when wearing your full-face helmet.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Squid

blicraft is on a distinguished road
Assume that everybody wants to run you over.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
+1 on that...I took a course when I came to Canada from the UK eight years ago. Been riding for years in the UK...but boy...I learned so much about roadcraft in North America. Money well spent....
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
it was mentioned twice, but I will say it again because I think it's the best thing that has helped me while driving cars and motorcycles in busy traffic (which is my achiles heal); watch the wheels moving of the cars on the side streets. Stopped wheels typically mean the driver is dedicating themselves to stopping (when they take their foot off the brake the car normaly moves some). My worst time for concentration is in the city and this helps me decide who to pay attention to the most.

so some other tips that have helped me that haven't really been mentioned;

bright colors. I have a yellow helmet and I have ridden red and yellow bikes. People basically treat me as a car, I am almost never not noticed. My girlfriend has a silver bike, white helmet, and black jacket. NO ONE notices her (I see this happen most often when she leads).

"typical" speeds for the road. If you ride much faster than traffic (or slower) other drivers won't expect you to have moved into a new position that fast. Also avoid hard accelerations.

No one has mentioned this however it works into other statements: AVOID BLIND SPOTS LIKE THE PLAGUE! My Ford Ranger fits in a Saab's blind spot (I found this out today...). I bet my motorcycle does too

Sunglasses or some other sun-dimming equipment in order to block the sunlight while riding into the sun.

And finally, my least often used (unfortunately used on a motorcycle in a 60mph turn) recommendation: Enjoy the ice while you smoothly traverse across it.... but don't touch the brake or try to turn... or change RPM... you might get away with pulling in the clutch. Not much you can do but be smooth...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I like the sacrifice of the camel or the cow. It's my motorcycle any way so why not! I can blast the motorcycle at a track day but I have to go to work tomorrow. I can skid and scrape and (mostly) I can be there for Monday.

Soon after I bought my Superhawk I realized I couldn't afford to ride it. Proper gear is essential even if you're real good or really good crashin'.

Watching the online sales, specials, trusted forum suppliers that have discount coupons for us. Go get 'em!

Chicks like guys that look like they got some lasting power.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
My one tip: use all your senses all the time.

Expanded:

Sight - look all around you, everywhere, use your mirrors all the time, watch the road surface, check your bike all over, every time you're about to get on it.

Feel - feel the road through your tires, feel the air for moisture, feel around on your bike for things wrong (if not every time you ride, then certainly every one of the times when you - frequently - clean it).

Smell - the fallen leaves, the cowshit on the country road, the oil on any road, the cement or loose gravel of road repairs, the burnt brake pads and clutch you've just fried in your panic.

Hearing - the vehicles around you, the train on the track still out of sight but on the crossing around the corner, variations in the noises your own shitbox emanates.

Intuition - if it doesn't seem right, it probably ain't right. Regrettably, this is the most valuable one and the one you really only get by adverse experience. (It does, however, include the bullshit detector that enables you to reject the complicated but incorrect advice dished out to you by well-meaning but ignorant know-alls.)

Last edited by PJay; 05-20-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Squid

Fuzz_AZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jim TT
Watch out for Buicks.
+1

why is it always a Buick?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
In the twisties use a late apex. This with proper lane possition will give you optimal view of whats coming up.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by super duper hawk
Loud Pipes Save Lives!!!!!!!! LOL
This is so true!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fuzz_AZ
+1

why is it always a Buick?
it isn't. watch out for those volvos!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
+1

SIPDE: search, identify, predict, decide, execute.

tim
Well you've now just dated yourself. MSF is full of acronyms but this one has been retired. Not that it's bad, but the new one is called SEE. Search, Evaluate, Execute. Same basic concept, just simplified.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by luis saleiro
This is so true!
I disagree. Loud pipes may just get you a ticket as more and more cities pass noise laws. 80db or less is the standard most places are using. Sorry for being preachy but part of my job is to dispell myths like "don't use the front brake or you'll flip over the bars". Loud pipes save lives is what I call an urban biker myth. Think about the physics of sound waves for a moment. They propagate radially from the mouth of the tail pipe, similar to ripples on a pond when you toss a rock in. So the only time those loud pipes actually get a drivers attention is when your in front of them, or directly along side. Much better is to make yourself visible to the drivers. Get outta the blind spots and ride where they can see you. That will save more lives than some obnoxious noise. Some pipe noise will eventually travel ahead of you, but what good is it for a car to hear you but not see you? They could completely misjudge your location and change lanes right into you. OK sermon over.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JDRiderCoach
I disagree. Loud pipes may just get you a ticket as more and more cities pass noise laws. 80db or less is the standard most places are using. Sorry for being preachy but part of my job is to dispell myths like "don't use the front brake or you'll flip over the bars". Loud pipes save lives is what I call an urban biker myth. Think about the physics of sound waves for a moment. They propagate radially from the mouth of the tail pipe, similar to ripples on a pond when you toss a rock in. So the only time those loud pipes actually get a drivers attention is when your in front of them, or directly along side. Much better is to make yourself visible to the drivers. Get outta the blind spots and ride where they can see you. That will save more lives than some obnoxious noise. Some pipe noise will eventually travel ahead of you, but what good is it for a car to hear you but not see you? They could completely misjudge your location and change lanes right into you. OK sermon over.
I don't have loud pipes. I don't have the hush puppies that came with my bike either. I have street baffle slip ons. I call them "audible pipes". Audible pipes save lives.

With all due respect, the idea that you can't hear "loud pipes" when the bike is behind you? Well I guess I've got way better ears than you do. Whether riding or driving, I hear moderately loud bikes behind me all the time. If I'm in heavy, slow moving traffic I often hear them coming up between the lanes before I see them.

Most other folks can too. Years ago I rode a V-4 Honda with a full race system. Even at freeway speed I could see people looking in the mirror to see what all the racket was about and then getting the hell out of the way.

Even if you dress like a Day-Glo Power Ranger, NOBODY is going to SEE you behind unless they LOOK, which too few people bother doing very often.

I'm not promoting obnoxiously loud pipes. I quit them 'cause they announced my location to every cop in the vicinity. That's probably the most effective argument against them. I appreciate the position that loud pipes annoy citizens and are bad for the sport. But to claim that you can't hear loud bikes, cars, trucks, gunshots or whatever because it's behind you doesn't have credibility with the high percentage of people who have functioning ears!

Last edited by RK1; 05-20-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Back Marker

Yeah I can see where my post reads that way. Lemme see if I can lawyer out of this. I don't 100% claim you can't ever hear a bike when it's behind you. Just saying they hear you better when you're in front of or beside the driver than when you're behind. But my unfortunate choice of words may have obscured my point, which is that it's not much of a tool to help save your life. Same as your factory horn. Making yourself visible is preferred, not just with clothing but with positioning. Think of all the car audio systems blasting, etc. Maybe you disagree which is fine, but I consider it somewhat of a myth.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I disagree. Loud pipes may just get you a ticket as more and more cities pass noise laws. 80db or less is the standard most places are using. Sorry for being preachy but part of my job is to dispell myths like "don't use the front brake or you'll flip over the bars". Loud pipes save lives is what I call an urban biker myth.
Even Sport Rider magazine seems to have jumped on the anti-loud pipes bandwagon. Then again, they're in Cali and probably have stricter noise regs than much of the rest of the country.

I'm not advocating for super-loud pipes, but just think of your own experience though. How many times have you been waiting for your buddies to meet up for a ride and heard that Super Hawk with Two Brothers or Yoshis roaring in from half a mile away? How about every time!

On all our backroad rides we know where pretty much all the cops live. We always tip-toe by so as not to wake them up.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Yeah I can see where my post reads that way. Lemme see if I can lawyer out of this. I don't 100% claim you can't ever hear a bike when it's behind you. Just saying they hear you better when you're in front of or beside the driver than when you're behind. But my unfortunate choice of words may have obscured my point, which is that it's not much of a tool to help save your life. Same as your factory horn. Making yourself visible is preferred, not just with clothing but with positioning. Think of all the car audio systems blasting, etc. Maybe you disagree which is fine, but I consider it somewhat of a myth.
You're alright, JD. I had to say something because I've read all over the place the last few years guys claiming you flat out can't hear a loud bike if the pipes are pointing one way and your head the other way.

Sure, a bike ahead of you will sound louder than one behind you and yeah, a driver with the windows up with 400 watts of music blasting won't hear anything. But that's akin to dismissing bright gear because it's only visible to drivers looking in your direction.

Personally, unless you're revving your loud bike under my bedroom window at 5 am, it doesn't offend me at all.

Mostly I'm just old enough to remember when Americans really WERE more live and let live tolerant of each other. Now in the Official Age Of TOLERANCE, half the people are looking for something, anything to be offended by and indignant about and the other half are trying to appease and *** kiss the victims of some trifling or wholly imagined injustice.

I just don't like any of it.

Last edited by RK1; 05-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Even Sport Rider magazine seems to have jumped on the anti-loud pipes bandwagon. Then again, they're in Cali and probably have stricter noise regs than much of the rest of the country.

I'm not advocating for super-loud pipes, but just think of your own experience though. How many times have you been waiting for your buddies to meet up for a ride and heard that Super Hawk with Two Brothers or Yoshis roaring in from half a mile away? How about every time!

On all our backroad rides we know where pretty much all the cops live. We always tip-toe by so as not to wake them up.
Actually unless you have flat out open pipes, California doesn't have an enforced, or legally enforceable motorcycle noise law.

That's not it at all. Sport Rider, Motorcyclist etc. make a living selling color pictures of themselves doing stand up wheelies, stoppies, riding down the road while standing on the seat, bragging about going pucks down at triple the speed limit on local mountain roads etc. But when they tell everybody "shhh, don't make noise, why, it's irresponsible!", the AMA, MSF etc. praise them for their wisdom, maturity, environmental and social consciousness!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
I have two survival tips.... Always ride from car door to car door. when the cager next to you thinks of moving over he sees you.
no mirrors necessary. When traveling through highway on/off ramp areas be prepared for the last minute "I need to get off/ on here" driver, distracted lane changes and bad timing will most likely happen here. remember if you have time to hit your horn you have time to evade the situation. we have 3 things on our side
1 power to weight ratio
2 superior stopping ability
3 agility
I use #1 the most to keep me in the sweet spot of traffic ie. . the hole between the slowest ahead and the fastest behind.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seattle_SuperHawk
I ride as if i am invisable..... i figure if i assume they CANT see me then i always will put my self in the greatest advantage. Also an earlier post said " cover the brake" i would say cover the clutch and use it. never outride your headlight, good luck bikers
Ditto. The best advice my dad ever gave me about riding was to do everything you can to be seen, but then assume nobody can see you. That solves so many problems.

My dad's been riding for a very long time, and he's never been in any type of accident (on a bike or in a car).

And I do think loud pipes can save lives. They don't have to be crazy loud, but loud enough that the people within striking distance can hear you. I've noticed many times that people will look over at me wondering what's making the noise. That's perfect, because then I know they know I'm there. It's similiar to the reason that some electric cars make FAKE engine noises, because they are so quiet it can be dangerous (especially to pedestrians).
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Well you've now just dated yourself. MSF is full of acronyms but this one has been retired. Not that it's bad, but the new one is called SEE. Search, Evaluate, Execute. Same basic concept, just simplified.
kids and their short attention span.

tim

Quick Reply: What's your best riding tip for the street?