General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What's your best riding tip for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
What's your best riding tip for the street?

We have lots of very experienced motorcyclists on this forum. The lad who started the Post "Supidity WILL wreck your life", got me thinking - maybe the more experienced among us can offer constructive advice that we can all learn from.

So, why not share just one great tip that works for you? Along the way, we might just help one of the clan stay out of trouble! Just one 'save' is worth it!

So...???

Here's one to kick off the idea;
I live in an area of Canada where we have dead straight roads, all two way traffic. When I'm following a line of vehicles, I ride close to the centre line (in the left wheel track of the cagers). When a line of vehicles are approaching from the opposite direction, I drop back to say 10 car lengths back and line my sight line so I can see each driver in the line approaching 'me'. My rationale is...if I can see their head, they can see my headlight (high beam). As we get closer, I move to the right 3 feet and sit behind the car in front at around 100 feet of gap. Hopefully that helps the approaching cars avoid pulling out to make a pass - and hitting me head on.

There ya go..any one else have a tip?

Last edited by CANADAVTR; 05-19-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Watch where you are going at all times.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Squid

slapi01 is on a distinguished road
always be in gear at a stop just in case you need to move out the way in a jiffy.. i know neutral sounds nice to relax wrists and hand for a second, but it can be that second you need to save yourself
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
We have lots of very experienced motorcyclists on this forum. The lad who started the Post "Supidity WILL wreck your life", got me thinking - maybe the more experienecd among us can offer constructive advice that we can all learn from.

So, why not share just one great tip that works for you? Along the way, we might just help one of the clan stay out of trouble! Just one 'save' is worth it!

So...???

Here's one to kick off the idea;
I live in an area of Canada where we have dead straight roads, all two way traffic. When I'm following a line of vehicles, I ride close to the centre line (in the left wheel track of the cagers). When a line of vehicles are approaching from the opposite direction, I drop back to say 10 car lengths back and line my sight line so I can see each driver in the line approaching 'me'. My rationale is...if I can see their head, they can see my headlight (high beam). As we get closer, I move to the right 3 feet and sit behind the car in front at around 100 feet of gap. Hopefully that helps the approaching cars avoid pulling out to make a pass - and hitting me head on.

There ya go..any one else have a tip?
I could write a book, but concerning your strategy i would add, make certain you can see the road surface ahead and where your going in lieu of the just the view of the vehicle you're following. Your position to the inside of the lane allows this however moving to the middle doesn't unless you can see the roadway throught his windows.

I was following a motorcyclist (in my semi) who was riding in the middle of the lane behind an auto on an interstate. The auto's tires strattled a large muffler lying crossways and the motorcyclist hit it (no reaction time) and his front stayed down while his rear lifted catapulting him off the seat. Looked like he was doing a giant stoppie with both wheels off the ground. Somehow he hung onto the bars and recovered, and fortunately i had allowed him a safety net in front of me so that I could have avoided hitting him.

I only ride someone's ***(i.e., usually near the centerline)when I'm going to pass and never unless i can see the roadway ahead of the vehicles in front of me. I want to see what they're seeing and not allow myself to look at the rear of the vehicle i'm following.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Always be alert, especially when in the old people part of town.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Don't crash
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Rule #1: Don't ride faster than you can think.

Rex
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
Rule #1: Don't ride faster than you can think.Rex
. . . for everybody else.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
First, don't out ride your experience or abilities. Second, a no brainer, alcohol or drugs and riding don't mix, Third, ATGATT. Forth, constantly scan in all directions, front back and sides. Fifth, look as far ahead of you as you can, the earlier you recognize a threat, the more time you have to process a solution. And last, but not least, don't mess with my bikes.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
Rule #1: Don't ride faster than you can think.

Rex
that and keep your head on a swivel...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Since my wife started riding 5 years ago this month. I've tutored her on defensive riding, but it didn't help me when I got rear ended at a red light 2 months ago.

Still I would say, be aware of the drivers around you. And if there is a car ahead, exiting a driveway or side street, don't expect them to see you...even if they are looking right at you.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Squid

chi kung is on a distinguished road
Ride as fast as possible at all times. That way an accident will never catch up with you. Or just take it easy.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Squid

Flinnt is on a distinguished road
Always have a plan 'B'. I like to know where my escape routes are if the line I'm travelling on suddenly becomes a no go. (driveways and sidewalks=good escape route, telegraph pole=BAD escape route. Lane next to me = good escape route ONLY if there is not a truck in it that'll provide me with a quick trip to the morgue etc etc)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
Always wear a helmet.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
do not ride at dusk - hard to be seen.

anytime you think that there is a deer, there is one, and there are always more than one, their eyes are good reflectors, be on the look out.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
It's an MSF BRC fundamental, but look where you are going. Look through the curved, look through the turn, look where you want to be during an avoidance manuever.

The other that I do, almost unconsciously now, is when at a stop light, I blink the brake light until the car behind me is at a complete stop. I've heard/read the horror stories where an approaching car did not distinguish the bike from the car in front of it. Plus, it's why they make those brake light blinker kits.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Ride like you have a target painted on your back.

Know that the vehicle pulling up to the stop sign on that side road in front of you:

1 - aint gonna stop;
2 - if he/she does stop, he/she aint gonna look before pulling out;
3 - if he/she does look, he/she aint gonna see you;
4 - if he/she does see you, he/she is gonna pull out anyway.

Be aware and drive defensively.

G
Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
cover the brake
Old 05-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
Highbeams on while riding during the day.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Maybe someone can take all this good advice and put it in the KB under the heading of Riding Tips or something similar.

Something I see a lot of bikers do is taking a left hand curve on the inside toward the center of the road. That causes many cagers to freak and it does put the rider too close to the oncoming traffic. Once I had a Kaw Concours coming fast towards me and that rider was taking his tight left hand curve just on the edge of the center line which put his body over the center of the roadway into my lane of travel. That was spooky and too close for comfort.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Watch out for Buicks.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tbartley
Maybe someone can take all this good advice and put it in the KB under the heading of Riding Tips or something similar.

Something I see a lot of bikers do is taking a left hand curve on the inside toward the center of the road. That causes many cagers to freak and it does put the rider too close to the oncoming traffic. Once I had a Kaw Concours coming fast towards me and that rider was taking his tight left hand curve just on the edge of the center line which put his body over the center of the roadway into my lane of travel. That was spooky and too close for comfort.
yes, agree. I see a lot of riders that habitually take the short way around the corner, like they are racing or under time constraints. It's sloppy riding on the road not to arc your turns maintaining proper lane position. Then they get pissed when some cager cuts across the line on a blind curve. Americans in general, that is bikers and cagers alike, don't take their riding skills seriously, present company excepted of course. hahaha
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
As an MSF Instructor, I love these threads. These are some good tips. Hard to say what is the single most important thing but here's a few I like. My personal street riding philosophy is to assume ALL vehicles that share the road with me will try to kill me. Not intentionally, so I don't take it personally, but try they will. Diligence is key on the street. You're never allowed to take even a second's break from your scanning and planning for hazards and what ifs. If I had to pick one, I'd say where you look is probably the most important. I put it like this: Look where you WANT to go, not where your going. Eyes up, focusing ahead pointing in the direction you want the bike to go. In a turn? turn your head and look through it. Going straight? Look as far to the horizon as you can. Worried you won't see the bike or road underneath you? Fear not, you have this thing called peripheral vision. Use it, it works. The bike goes where you look so if you want to go down, look at the ground, if you want to plow into that tractor trailer, look right at it.

Some talk about lane position and corners prompted this suggestion: outside, inside, outside. That's the path you should take through turns. Start to the outside, at the apex you move to the inside and if your rolling the throttle properly during corner exit it will automatically push you to the outside. It gives you the maximum visibility of the entire turn and it's the straightest path through the turn, requiring the least amount of lean angle. BTW for you wanna be knee draggers it happens to be the fastest path through the turn as well. Inside, inside, inside looks cool and seems fast but is the worst line you can take while cornering. Well I gotta get ready for work now or I'd ramble on and on. Love this topic. Ride safe everyone.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll add this; be aware of all around you. Try this exercise; what color car is behind you?
What color car is in front of you?....a lane over?.. two cars back?...notice the car at the intersection on your left? Look at the wheels. Are the wheels moving?.. Yes! Well it is getting ready to pulll out in front of you.... Are you prepaired to perform an evasive manuver?....you need to be.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Squid

midwest22 is on a distinguished road
On warm days be sure to only wear tank tops, shorts and NO gloves. And make sure the skinny little (clueless) passenger is wearing the same but with high heals. To top it off, put one of those mohawks on your helmet so you can be seen on your GSXR a lot easier. And, don't forget that it's "cool" to do a wheelie with your passenger on the back.

For the responsible people in the room, do the exact opposite of the above! But feel free to come to Southern California for the show
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
UxY
Squid

UxY is on a distinguished road
look at door windows in park cars when ride close to them - if its open there is a chance that car will start drive.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
I ride as if i am invisable..... i figure if i assume they CANT see me then i always will put my self in the greatest advantage. Also an earlier post said " cover the brake" i would say cover the clutch and use it. never outride your headlight, good luck bikers
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear up! Sacrifice a cow or kangaroo to save your own skin.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Gear up! Sacrifice a cow or kangaroo to save your own skin.
+ a million.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JDRiderCoach
Diligence is key on the street. You're never allowed to take even a second's break from your scanning and planning for hazards and what ifs. If I had to pick one, I'd say where you look is probably the most important. I put it like this: Look where you WANT to go, not where your going. Eyes up, focusing ahead pointing in the direction you want the bike to go. In a turn? turn your head and look through it. Going straight? Look as far to the horizon as you can. Worried you won't see the bike or road underneath you? Fear not, you have this thing called peripheral vision. Use it, it works. The bike goes where you look so if you want to go down, look at the ground, if you want to plow into that tractor trailer, look right at it.
Spoken like a true MSF instructor. Sounds familiar even to me as I've taken that course and would suggest everyone who rides take the course. It will only enhance what you know or think you know.

Quick Reply: What's your best riding tip for the street?