General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

hand grips

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
rnb
Back Marker

rnb is on a distinguished road
hand grips

what kind of grips do you recomend? i put a set of pro-grip gel grips on and my hands are sore and asleep after 25 miles. if i have my wife on its more like 15 miles. i was thinking of trying foam grips but i dont want to keep buying new grips all the time. thanks for any help.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You are probably putting too much weight on your hands. Question: while riding, are your elbows pointing down or outwards?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Diameter plays a role as well as gripping too hard. Both can cause your hands to fall asleep. If a grip is too small you'll tend to grip tighter. If a grip is too big, again you'll grip too tight. Next time your around other bikers, ask to hold their hand grips. After they look at you funny, they will probably let you. It took a while for me to find the right set.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I don't think the grips have a whole lot to do with it. When I first got my bike I had a problem with my throttle hand, especially at the base of my thumb, going numb and sore.

I tried two different sets of grips besides the stockers and it didn't make any difference.

I started riding with the ***** of my feet on the pegs, my thighs lightly gripping the tank, and very little weight on my hands. I can ride like that for hours without any pain or numbness in my hand.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the Progrips myself. Have had a couple sets. If you're a pretty experienced rider, then I suppose it could be the grips. If relatively inexperienced, like others said, it could be a matter of technique. When I first got back into riding a few years ago, I had a lot of problem with cramping... once I got "in riding shape", I got over it.I consciously try to keep a very light grip on the bars, even to the point of just lightly resting the palms on the grips. Might work for you; might not.Gloves can be a culprit too. I have a pair of stretchy mesh gloves that make my hands cramp up after 20-30 minutes. Too small a glove will do it too. YMMV
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi, you may need Heli bars and Harris gel grips, and Superling is right elbow down not out.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
rnb
Back Marker

thanks for all the input. i've been riding for about 26 years, however my last bike was a goldwing. i've had this bike for a year. you guys are probably right about my riding position. i'll try to change it and see what happens. thanks again
Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
RK1
MotoGP

rnb;

I've been riding since the '70s and the VTR is the first bike I had a "hand" problem with. I didn't think it could make much difference when I first heard about it, but when I started riding with the ***** of my feet on the pegs, knees against the tank I found I could keep almost all the weight off my hands and it made a real difference.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Like you, my last bike was a Goldwing (still have it actually) and this is also the first bike I've had problems with my hand going numb. Just finished installing Convertibars today, and really hope it helps, or that's another $300 down the drain. I'll post up when I've had a chance to do a thorough eval.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I must say I find it encouraging that you guys sold your Gold Wings and are riding VTRs.

I always thought of Gold Wings as the last bikes guys ride before they go off to assisted living or the nursing home.

I learn something new every day.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Actually, I still have mine. Was considering trading it for the Concours 14, but the wife said "no way", she likes it too much.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:20 PM
RK1
MotoGP

bluvtr;

yeah, kidding aside, the Wing is a great bike. I've got a good friend with a garage full of bikes who rides his more than any other bike. And as much as he likes it, even if he wanted to trade or sell it off, his wife wouldn't stand for it.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
A buddy of mine was at the house yesterday helping me with the bar swap. He rides a ZX-14 and had never tried the 'wing. I told him to take it for a spin, and before he was out of the driveway, he was yelling back "I feel older already"...but by the time he got back I think he was at least somewhat surprised. I threw off the demographics when I bought mine at 34, but I think it's aging better than me.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Oury http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/114...tain-Grips.htm

Never look back..LOL

I went with the black ones..
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM
rnb
Back Marker

i tried changing my position while riding and it did seem to help. just like you guys suggested i grip the tank and put the ***** of my feet on the pegs. also tried not holding the grips tight. it works .thanks again
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
I've seen people customize their sportbikes bikes with bigger diameter kuryakyn ISO cruiser grips (chrome and rubber accents) it was really interesting to see and feel. The larger diameter grip is very comfortable however it doesn't allow for bar ends.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

mcdoggy2000 is on a distinguished road
Just curious...what is the larger diameter grip?
I prefer mid to soft..
I do not really care for chrome look....
Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
what do the stock grips even look like, I'm not sure as I got mine used.....

I've found that too much weight on the hands/wrists and ill-fitting gloves are the biggest problem. I even had more of a problem when I was breaking in a new set of gloves.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
FWIW

The PO of my bike had some fat gel ProGrips installed. Instead of making it easier on my hands, I found them hard to grip and thus my hands got sore. Got some slimmer, kraton Driven grips that came free with my Pazzo levers. Smaller diameter, still have some cush with the Kraton material, grippy diamonds.
Attached Thumbnails hand grips-pazzo-1-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Back Marker

mcdoggy2000 is on a distinguished road
Anybody tried Renthal street grip?
I want to know how good or bad compare to others.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
tell your wife to to put her hands on the tank and not to put her wait on you. that'll give you another 10 minutes of comfort anyway.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Unless she's sharing the drivers seat it'll be a bit of a stretch to get a hand on the tank from the pillon seat. Don't want somone doing their version of the side car monkey switching sides of the bike every time you corner to the opposite side. LOL. Actually, that might be fun to watch.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
working on your core strength helps keep your mid section strong to hold up your upper body, versus leaning on your hands.. You must keep your elbows bent too..I have cross referenced this from my road bicycling..i have numb pointer finger and thumb all the time..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Randman
Oury http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/114...tain-Grips.htm

Never look back..LOL

I went with the black ones..
Man, this goes way back. When my stock bars were ringing my hands off this was one of the first mods. I called them up and said send me two sets. Nice chick on the other end explains that they have had a color pigment problem with the reds and will send me spare sets in case I have problems. I get the box and it's full of Oury grips. Lots of them. My hats off to the Oury people but I'm not sure this is the solution for the SH.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
my gf is a small 5'3" and she supports her own weight via tank. when we're into the tight stuff she'll pull one hand away to let me hang off. she also claims to be comfortable and doesn't complain until the 200 mile mark

i've been thinking of getting a sidecar to throw her in so we could race isle of man tt next year.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
oury grips are for bicycles, so don't they have the same id for both sides? motorcycle grips have the throttle tube and therefore need a larger id for the throttle side. so, what's the fix?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
oury makes motorcycle grips also and they rock!! try them
Old 09-18-2008, 05:45 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
are the motorcycle grips called "street" on their web site?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i can go 300 miles on my bike with stock grips and have no problems. like others have said, you're probably putting way too much weight on your hands.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I just put a set of firm Renthal street grips on my bike. They are much thinner than the pro grips that were on it. Even though I have XL size hands I like them much better. I also love the diamond pattern grip feel. It gives me much better micro control on the throttle since my hands stay glued to the grips.

Quick Reply: hand grips