General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Well found out why I couldnt knee down... I feel stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 PM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Well found out why I couldnt knee down... I feel stupid!

So maybe I still cant I wont know until I can ride tomorrow night. But I would keep getting this falling feeling suddenly and quickly at about three inches from the blacktop. I looked at my second front tire which was used to be fair and it had the same weird wear pattern. I kept swearing that the bearing was bad...... but I would test it with the tire on the ground.... Cars work that way..... It's not a car stoopid.....
I jacked it up to change the tire and the thing was loose as a goose suddenly too good good BAD! Took it to the bike shop and told him it was bad. He checked one and it was fine the other and he said eh its a little worn...
Put it on the balancer and it nearly shook off the floor!!! LOL. The guy said yep... Bearing is real real bad! lol 30$ for a set with seals and since hes my buddy no labor.

I dunno typing it isnt as funny as it was when it happened. But I still figured it was worth sharing as I keep getting close to getting my knee down wearing my chicken stripe more and more but I still have yet to achieve it. On my screen I have [__] that much strip left. Also to keep it all in one post I was sitting all wrong and when I transitioned my weight I was jerking the bike.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
FWIW fresh tires and a track day are probably much healthier learning options... my 2 cents aside it's a really cool feeling when you're able to solve a problem like that.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Superstock

Theres a small course here. Still should get sliders just in case. Tires are now both new. Just the bearings and my after/ backfire
Old 07-21-2018, 07:38 AM
Squid

john the red is on a distinguished road
Well consider yourself lucky for finding a reason. I had a low side accident on an F3 back in 1999. I was riding beyond my skill and washed on a transition in pavement. I was doing just over 100. Since the accident I have owned SEVERAL two wheeled machines. None were even close to being sport inspired. I did take a few year hiatus before buying another bike because I scared my wife AND myself. But now I am a new SHawk owner. I am as comfortable on this bike as the day is long. Alas, I am the poster child for XXL chicken strips. I will, one day, build my confidence to get the bike on a tilt. I plan on taking the Advanced rider's course (again). And have plans to make a few track days next spring.
I wish my problems were just bearings....
Old 07-21-2018, 07:51 AM
Superstock

Fear is bad. Fear is nit control. A machine is never full control. I biffed it doing the worst thing in the worst wear in the worst condition. All my fault. I got back on the bike asap because if I didnt Id have lost my nerve. The hawk has balance. Riders here can school me for years.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
Recommend taking a riding school, Pridmore, Code...as well as 'advanced' MSF training. You learn as much about riding in general, maybe more, than you learn about racing. As for dragging a knee on the street, it's not something I'd do--but I'm 'old'. LOL. Knee-dragging implies taking the bike closer to its limits than not and on the street you have a bunch of 'moving obstacles' to contend with. Not to mention if you screw up, e.g., get into a turn too hot and run wide, etc.

I read somewhere you never corner on the street using more than 60-75% of your ability (including the bike's ability, whichever is less). Obvious that's a sliding scale, and very subjective. Maybe you're someone who drags a knee at 75% effort, or less. There's still all the unknowns on the street. The track is not without risk, but it's a more controlled risk, and usually more predictable. Not to mention...you're all headed in the same direction on a race track. (Somehow, that seems significant, LOL).

Alan

Last edited by AlanS; 07-21-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 AM
Superstock

Have a course... No MSF in Japan. Im supposed to get schooled privately by a teacher..... But the guy ... Who has had several liter bikes is not a storm fan. Or any v twin for that matter. But I dont try to get knee down in traffic I ride in my comfort zone. But Sunday on the course I will try again. Where everyone is going the same direction. Lol. But to be honest if I was a better rider Id scrape on a mountain road. Maybe in my future. Not against your advice at all guys. Also did I say... I think my bearings have been gone for a year or longer as the bike feels new compared to before. I can lean out to where I used to be with less effort and it feels solid. Also the grip lines in these japanese roads beat me up before but now its slight.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:44 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Knackered front wheel bearings are not always the easiest things to diagnose. I rode my ST1100 for a 4000km touring trip in February convinced that the fairing design (high screen) was the cause of the terrible stability in any kind of wind especially turbulence off the back of trucks. Turned out I had one really loose bearing, and in hindsight I could even hear it knock when the steering went to full lock at a standstill (thought it was looseness in the antidive mechanism on the fork leg). With the front end jacked up and the guard removed, I could then feel the wiggle between the fork legs. Such a small part but it really makes a huge difference to the steering feel and confidence.