General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the laugh! Couldn't contain one after picturing the shocked look at seeing a 140mph decked out harley.....hope he did some mods on the stopping end!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM
SuperBike

C5aig is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
Sometimes, if I'm in the right mood, when someone doesn't return the wave I'll put both arms in the air and wave them around all crazy like the puppet in "Team America". I make myself laugh so hard I've almost wrecked a few times. The look on the face of "Harley Guy" is priceless. Everyone should try it sometime.
I will do this next time I'm given the opportunity. That's awesome.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
The wave thing is always tricky. Around here, sportbikers wave to sportbikes. Harley guys wave to Harley guys. I just put 2 fingers down to the side...everybody here knows what it means. There's *some* intermixing, but its limited. If I'm in a good mood I'll give everybody a wave....sportbikes always wave back and Harley guys, 25% of the time. The *image* guys never do....leather, chaps, beard, long hair...you know the type. But the casual bikers are friendly as all hell. I even wave to the cops on Harleys around here and get a nod or a wave back.

Only time I don't wave back unless I missed one is on the highway. Too much windblasting and traffic to break concentration.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I wave at everybody on two wheels, unless conditions at that instant demand two hands on the bars and my full attention. I especially wave at the old guys riding the '82 Kz440 with the milk crate bungied on the rear of the seat.

I've noticed that Harley and chopper guys are less likely to wave back, but most of them do. I'd rather wave at a guy on a Harley and get no response than have him wave at me, get no response, and conclude that guys on sportbikes are stuck up ********.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
I agree with most of you. Down here for me though, different times of the year are different. Spring and fall when it's nice out, more of everyone wave. Summer when it's hot as *****, and winter when it's kind of cold (the cold down here kind of hurts). Only foreign machines wave to each other. I wave to them all when I see them. At dusk I've waved at a few scooters and got douche chills real bad every time. JJ, you reminded me of a joke.

Q: What's the dif between a Hoover and a Harley?
A: The location of the Dirt Bag.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Squid

Igmortis is on a distinguished road
I wave at everyone on two wheels....the heck with em if they don't wave back!! Most do though...you know...it's a Southern thing!!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lhoward1134
Down here for me though, different times of the year are different. Spring and fall when it's nice out, more of everyone wave. Summer when it's hot as *****, and winter when it's kind of cold (the cold down here kind of hurts). Only foreign machines wave to each other.
Cold? It says you live in Florida. You should come up to New Hampster and take a ride in January on one of our warm 35 degree days. How does southern cold hurt more than northern cold? Just bustin' your ***** but I had to.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by swordfish
choppers are like model T's with ferarri bodywork. .
Exactly!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in Cleveland. I ALWAYS wave. Yeah some riders don't wave back, but that's now reason to become one of the douche bags.
You ride I ride, let's go ride.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I used to wave at just about anybody . But lately the Harley guys just leave me hangin , so I have started flippen them off FAWK EM ! They cant catch me !
Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
I guess i missed this one..

When i first got my bike, i actually felt bad for not returning waves, but i was trying to stay shiny side up and learn the bike. Now i wave as long as i feel safe doing so depending on the situation. I have noticed that most of the sport bike guys wave instantly, a few cruisers dont. It doesnt bother me either way.

Just the other day my wife (on her GS500), and my daughter and i were all out riding. A dude on a 'busa with a giant mohawk on his helmet stood up on his pegs, and waved like he was the statue of liberty. it was hilarious. Also had another dude on a busa pass us while his legs were stretched out over the back seat (superman style), and he even managed a wave.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Man.. you guys r killin me, ok, I've been riding for 42 plus years so far, when I got on the street, it was on nippon-denzo and everyone waved, and I still do. That said before I picked up my Hawk this summer, I spent the last 18 years or so on Harleys and still have two customs in the garage, still wave too. I noticed that the new wave is the down low, mostly cause we're going too fast to give a proper wave, might suck ya off yer scoot. I notice also that almost all the old greybeards on harleys will at least nod if they catch yer wave in time, other than that Harley guys.. 30% tops jaggoffs. Most sport riders will wave 90% I'd say, although I did get flipped off by two youngsters sitting at a light revving their I4's a few weeks ago.. jaggoffs. So.. I guess I'll just keep waving even though where I live is heavy Harley country. I do get a kick outta firing up the hawk after gassing up and seeing people do a double take lol.. crotch rocket?? All in all it's about riding in the end, eh??
Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Wave at everyone without regard to their response. Do you give Christmas presents only in anticipation of getting one back?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
well put.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I am way down-tempo on the streets. Even the cops wave back.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I've noticed as the weather gets colder in the NE, the few riders still on the road almost always wave.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I friendly, but not too friendly. That said, i usually acknowledge if I can.

Come to think about it, i may be even more friendly than I thought. I caught a bat (pulling out in my lifted shield) a while back and spared its life.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
see its weird. when i first started i got a wave back 99% of the time, as i rode more nad more i got it less. so it turned into a wave, and if i dont get anything back i throw the old bird out so if they check their rearview they see the 1 finger saulte for being stuck up. quite frankly ive stopped waving to anything but the sport bike crowd. ill rarely initiate a wave anymore to the cruisers. sounds like a dick thing to do but whats more ignorant, not waving or not waving back?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
You know, the only thing to do is wave, then look away. Or harden up and accept that a lot of folks who should be cool really suck, especially if they're riding in a group. If the lead rider doesn't wave, you've got your dick hanging out there like a jerk for the next 10 guys. So just look away and believe that the world loves you

If you stop on the BRP, almost everyone on a bike comes over to talk. It's more irritating to have BMW riders check out your clock or squids measure your chicken strips than it is to overlook a RUB turning stony to a wave.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
My experiences here in L.A. seem to be in line with a lot of others (maybe even a bit worse)... Sport/Sport touring about 90%-95%. Harley's about 10-20%. (when I waive first!) The average Harley rider here seems to be more interested in "Attitude" than enjoyment.

I've had long conversations about this with a friend I ride with regularly. He thinks it is even worse and now refuses to waive at cruisers, period.

About a month ago I pulled up next to a guy (and his lady) on a HD on my way to work... I nodded and said "Hi". His response was to point at his gas tank and yell "Buy American!", then laugh and mumble something to his passenger.

I almost replied "But then I'd have to ride one of those!"... but opted to just ignore instead and leave him behind when the light changed.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
This thread (and my whiskey drink) have changed my views on this. From now on, (if im just out riding around) and i wave at someone... and they dont wave back, im going to pull a u-turn, and follow them and wwave at them in thier mirrors until i get a response. If i still get no response, im going to pull up along side them and start pelvic thrusting them until they give me some kind of reaction. Only then will i be satisfied!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road

better watch it with the pelvic thrusts Mike, some-o-those Harley dudes might take ya up on the invite
Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
The entire time I have been riding I have never experienced a difference if the bike is a cruiser, sport, or any other kind. They all waved if I waved.

I then read a magazine article recommending that you pay attention to the road instead of waving all the time. I tried this out for a little while, and I do think I was a safer rider. I also stopped waving during the heat of the bike season around here, so about 1/5 to 1/20 vehicles were bikes especially on the weekends. It just seemed silly to wave to every other vehicle.

I did notice something though. If I was commuting to work people didn't initiate the wave, so I didn't. We were just enjoying the ride if there wasn't much traffic. On a weekend, I felt like everyone was initiating waves... so I started waving again (when I noticed the wave, I don't purposefully look for it that much any more).
Old 11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
I've noticed as the weather gets colder in the NE, the few riders still on the road almost always wave.
Same here, if you're still out on the road I wave, even if you're on a scooter. In this weather even the guys with ape hangers wave back.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Squid

Ludicrous_Speed is on a distinguished road
I havent actually kept track of who doesnt wave. There is jerks in all walks of life so I assume the non-waivers are grouped with them. I will have to start profiling! It's a shame if HD owners have their nose in the air in reference to japenese bikes. As a former HD owner take a walk into a HD shop and walk straight to the wall where all the shiny doo-dads are hanging. You will find most if any are NOT made in the USA.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
Rode a Buell for the first time this past season. What a cool motorcycle! I wouldn't have even known I was on a Harley if that guy on the Sportster hadn't waved at me.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
just wanted to add, ill go as far as waving to guys on gas scooters. but those clowns on e bikes, they can suck it harder than the harley guys. you ride an electric bicycle. you dont see me waving at bicycles, so i wont wave at you. lol
Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
the only guys around here that dont wave are the local bad asses that belong to a gang. i have a freind that passed one on his harley and got chased for it. i dont know why he stopped but when he did the guy tells him that he better not pass any of them in his town or else. i have passed these guys flying (you cant miss em with their pirate patches and jinggly earings) and never knew i was disrespecting their turf wtf. so i wonder if i wave will i be starting some bullshit?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Back in the '80s the Harley guys never waved. Now it seems that it's mainly the Harley posers that don't wave back.

I waved at a cop (for the first time) last Monday, but he didn't wave back. It probably paid me back in Karma later in the ride though. Just as I took off for a fast run up my favorite canyon, my wife told me a motorcycle cop was behind the car I took off in front of. I stopped for about 30 seconds at a turnout 4 miles later, then took off again. After I crested the hill 1 mile later and came to a speed controlled zone, I looked in my mirror and the cop was 100 yards behind me. I thought, "where did he come from, and I'm getting a ticket if he saw me before I slowed down". To my relief he turned left into the fire station 1/4 mile later.

I'm waving to all cops from now on.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Back in the '80s the Harley guys never waved. Now it seems that it's mainly the Harley posers that don't wave back.

I waved at a cop (for the first time) last Monday, but he didn't wave back. It probably paid me back in Karma later in the ride though. Just as I took off for a fast run up my favorite canyon, my wife told me a motorcycle cop was behind the car I took off in front of. I stopped for about 30 seconds at a turnout 4 miles later, then took off again. After I crested the hill 1 mile later and came to a speed controlled zone, I looked in my mirror and the cop was 100 yards behind me. I thought, "where did he come from, and I'm getting a ticket if he saw me before I slowed down". To my relief he turned left into the fire station 1/4 mile later.

I'm waving to all cops from now on.
If I were a cop, and that is a stretch beyond my wildest imagination, and some motorcyclist waved at me, I either think he was gay or maybe patronizing me because he had something to hide or both. I wouldn't change my behavior based on that one instance.

Quick Reply: To wave, or not to wave. That is the question.