General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR vs. VFR Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
VTR vs. VFR Ergos

I saw it discussed a little bit here before, but I thought I'd see if there are any new/different opinions out there on the VTR/VFR ergo differences.

My wife and I have done a few rides on the carbon-clad VTR now and while it's WAY fun in the twisties, we both get really saddle sore by the end of a ~200 mile day. I'm almost fully recovered from the ride we did over a week ago now. We tried a Suzuki V-strom to see if that might be the solution. My wife said it, "felt like riding in a car with the windows down" -not exciting enough. So we need to stick with a sportier bike. I haven't seen a VFR in person for a while, but it sounds good on paper. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Yardstick; 11-06-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
your wife is real hard core to ride long 2-up on the vtr. I must be too old but I think its really uncomfortable for the pasngr. and most of the sport bikes put the pasenger up so high off the back I think it messes up handling and safety so much makes me worry. the vfr is better and more designed for it
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I'll let her know. She is a trooper. The first time we did a looooong ride it was almost 400 miles round trip in one day. It was May in Arizona too (Chandler to Flagstaff and back). We both hurt so bad after that, we didn't ride again for months. That one followed a <200 mile trip in cooler weather where we felt it, but not so bad.

I was told the VTR was supposed to be a "sport-tourer leaning toward the sport side". I didn't realize how much lean that was.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I have a VTR and a VFR. The VFR is more upright in it's seating position, legroom is about the same. Not a huge difference, but in general, the VTR is sportier and the VFR is more relaxed (ergo-wise). Both bikes are a lot of fun. If you want to do 400 mile days two-up in comfort, you might want to look into a "legit" touring bike.

Last edited by jbaxx; 11-17-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Come on over to my house and you can test ride two generations of VFR's against my VTR street and my VTR track bikes to compare ergos. Just bring your gear.

Last edited by Lifttruck; 11-06-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
What's a "legit" touring bike? My wife wouldn't approve anything too un-sporty.

Lifttruck, are you somewhere in the Phoenix Metro area? I'd definitely be game for doing something like that.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
In my "perfect garage" there would be three bikes. The VTR for around town short trips - my answer to the Hardleys trolling around; the VFR for the 200 mile Bed & Breakfast on a ride through the hill country; and the ST1300 for when I want to go fishing in New Mexico or East Texas. Two of the three are there already. I'm waiting on the money to show up for the ST.

<<<<< The picture over there shows three bikes. Front to back is the VTR, the kid's CBR (now sold) and the VFR. Just thought I would clear that up.

Last edited by nuhawk; 11-06-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I was told the VTR was supposed to be a "sport-tourer leaning toward the sport side". I didn't realize how much lean that was.
Well touring the VTR isn't that bad... But it's strickly a one man touring bike... No passengers when touring...

The VFR should be a good choice... It's not what most would call overly comfortable if your 2 up... but if your wife does 400 on a VTR with some stiffness she'll be happy with the VFR (just don't let her try a BIG tourer... )
Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

What's a "legit" touring bike? My wife wouldn't approve anything too un-sporty.

Lifttruck, are you somewhere in the Phoenix Metro area? I'd definitely be game for doing something like that.
I wish I was in the Southwest!!!!! I live in the Pittsburgh PA. It was snowing here today! There is still some riding weather left yet this year around here. Last year I rode right up 'til New Years. I know that doesn't help you with your problem. I've done high mileage days on both the VTR and either VFR I have and each model has it's goods and bads. By high mileage I mean between 600 and 800 mi. days. The fuel range and mileage on a VFR is almost twice what it is on the VTR for starters. The VFR is loads heavier but not FJ heavy. If I'm going to be two up I'm on the VFR that's a no brainer. If I'm on a trip or "I need to get there ride" I'm usually on a VFR especially if I'm carrying overnight clothes or raingear. If I'm going to W VA to tear up the twistys I'm on the VTR most of the time. If I'm local in PA it could be either bike. Now throw my Hawk GT into the mix and I have a real dilema.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

When I lift the door on the shop I have to remind myself who's turn it is. Thank God their not like GF's that can talk back. Now that my domestic situation has eased a bit, I may get out for a weekender before the year is out. I haven't "micro-camped" for years but I could really enjoy a weekend out in East Texas.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nuhawk
When I lift the door on the shop I have to remind myself who's turn it is. Thank God their not like GF's that can talk back. Now that my domestic situation has eased a bit, I may get out for a weekender before the year is out. I haven't "micro-camped" for years but I could really enjoy a weekend out in East Texas.
That little Hawk GT I have is the one that gets neglected the most around here. It's kind of like the fat girl, you know the one you don't want to be seen with but she's still fun to ride.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

I came very close to buying a VF1000R a year ago or so because I thought it was one of the coolest looking retro's out there. Your Hawk GT is beautiful but I get what you mean. In the case of the Hawk GT she looks like the agile youngster that probably road her when she was new. In the case of the VF1000R, she IS the fat girl.

Put on you goggles, half helmet and take her out for a ride once in a while. The neighbors will think they have newcomers from England.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Back Marker

I wasn't referring to the Hawk GT as being fat, just "like" the fat girl you don't want your friends to see you with. I have my little Hawk modded just right in the suspension dept. It just has short legs and runs out of omph quickly. I've reeled in bigger bikes on the brakes at the track and passed them going into corners on the little bird just to have them blow me away driving out. Kind of frustrating. I've run down and passed 600 cc sport bikes on my VTR track bike, which is bone stock save the Sharkskinz, but I really can't hang with the inline liter bikes. I can usually run up on them entering corners and get a better drive out but they power by on the other end of the following straight.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Originally Posted by Lifttruck
I wish I was in the Southwest!!!!! I live in the Pittsburgh PA. It was snowing here today! ...
Doh! The weather has been getting perfect for riding here. Anybody in my area that wants to let me ride their VFR? (kidding... kinda) Thank you for the offer anyway!

It's sounding like I need to keep my eye out for a good VFR. There's a pretty red one in Prescott on the local Craigslist that I think I've even seen on these forums.

I've got a non-rider (well... mountain biker) friend that has mentioned the FJR1300 a couple of times. Any idea how those compare? It seems like that falls much more toward the touring end of the spectrum. I haven't seen one in person yet, so I'm just going off pictures I can find.

You guys are as bad as I am! I've got the 'hawk, but my main passion has always been dirtbiking. I've got a KTM520SX (the main ride) and an XR600 (the fat girl) and a couple friends' bikes, YZF250 and CRF150 in my garage. And then there's my four mountain bikes and my wife's two. We're loaded up with two-wheelers.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

Like I said - beautiful bike! It's good that you get her out and run the bike - especially at the track.

The VFR would have been a boat anchor here. Or a very large paper weight! My 97 VFR is perfect for me here under these road conditions and body weight.

In this short number of years metalurgy progressed a thousand.

It continues today - the new CBR600 weighs less than some guys I know. The 1000rr is 18 pounds heavier. That's crazy until you look at the pricetag and it's all about the metals that are being used in these bikes today.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've had 7 VF/VFR's and two VTR's over the years.

IIRC, you all ready have a larger CF tank. Do a search for my higher bars and lower pegs mods plus get a touring screen. Done.

For the wife, get a corbin gunfighter/lady setup with backrest. Maybe try to figure out a way to lower her pegs too.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 PM
MotoGP

It continues today - the new CBR600 weighs less than some guys I know. The 1000rr is 18 pounds heavier. That's crazy until you look at the pricetag and it's all about the metals that are being used in these bikes today.
The 1000 should be cheaper. It has bigger holes in the block!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Back Marker

Doh! The weather has been getting perfect for riding here. Anybody in my area that wants to let me ride their VFR? (kidding... kinda) Thank you for the offer anyway!

It's sounding like I need to keep my eye out for a good VFR. There's a pretty red one in Prescott on the local Craigslist that I think I've even seen on these forums.

I've got a non-rider (well... mountain biker) friend that has mentioned the FJR1300 a couple of times. Any idea how those compare? It seems like that falls much more toward the touring end of the spectrum. I haven't seen one in person yet, so I'm just going off pictures I can find.

You guys are as bad as I am! I've got the 'hawk, but my main passion has always been dirtbiking. I've got a KTM520SX (the main ride) and an XR600 (the fat girl) and a couple friends' bikes, YZF250 and CRF150 in my garage. And then there's my four mountain bikes and my wife's two. We're loaded up with two-wheelers.
http://vfrworld.com/classifieds/
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...p?showforum=80

Here are a couple of other places to look.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Originally Posted by superbling
I've had 7 VF/VFR's and two VTR's over the years.

IIRC, you all ready have a larger CF tank. Do a search for my higher bars and lower pegs mods plus get a touring screen. Done.

For the wife, get a corbin gunfighter/lady setup with backrest. Maybe try to figure out a way to lower her pegs too.
It seems simple enough, but there's a catch. The whole main fairing is carbon fiber too. I'd love to do the superbike bars but it would involve cutting into the fairing. I'm not sure about heli's or similar.

Edit to add: There's also tank clearance issues to think about. The stock bars make a pretty close approach on the tank at full lock.

Last edited by Yardstick; 11-06-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Back Marker

Like I said - beautiful bike! It's good that you get her out and run the bike - especially at the track.

The VFR would have been a boat anchor here. Or a very large paper weight! My 97 VFR is perfect for me here under these road conditions and body weight.

In this short number of years metalurgy progressed a thousand.

http://www.scpmc.net/cpg148/index.php?cat=10311
http://www.splitsecondphoto.net/products.php?cat=3852
http://www.scpmc.net/cpg148/displayi...pn&cat=0&pos=0

Here are a couple links to pics of my bikes. The second is my fat slow butt at Mid-Ohio this past summer at an STT event. My '04 VFR is not pictured.

Last edited by Lifttruck; 11-06-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

It seems simple enough, but there's a catch. The whole main fairing is carbon fiber too. I'd love to do the superbike bars but it would involve cutting into the fairing. I'm not sure about heli's or similar.

Edit to add: There's also tank clearance issues to think about. The stock bars make a pretty close approach on the tank at full lock.
Don't want to cut into the CF huh? Wussie! LOL

Next best bets are VFR bars (90-01) or vtr helibars. Also, get a throttle lock; great relief on the straights.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the links. All look good and not bad for rookie at the track either. I hope to go for a couple this winter.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Originally Posted by superbling
Don't want to cut into the CF huh? Wussie! LOL
Nope...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Back Marker

Thanks for the links. All look good and not bad for rookie at the track either. I hope to go for a couple this winter.
Thanks! We're learning! Everytime out I get a little smoother.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to assume your talking about mine ( http://phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/471008677.html )

That bike has been nothing but good to me. Extra comfy on long trips with terrific gas mileage/range! She does great 2-up. The passenger seat is a little bigger on the VFR and the upright position for the driver corresponds to an upright positions for the passenger too.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
That's the one!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yardstick, you have GOT to get some high mount pipes on that bike!

Wow, the Carbotex bike. Man, that thing goes wayyyy back. I remember the original owner, Jeff was it?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I guess the original owner had high mounts (Remus) on it. The guy I got it from had big feet (like I do) and would melt the heels of his boots on the pipes. It's for sale if you want to put those high mounts on! I really like the bike but I'm still feeling the effects of the last trip to the twisties (going 2-up for 273 miles).

Last edited by Yardstick; 11-12-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Here's an image to show how close the approach is to the CF tank with stock bars at full lock.

So would VFR bars, Heli's or something else help out the ergos without needing to cut into the fairing?
Attached Thumbnails VTR vs. VFR Ergos-vtr_bars.jpeg  
Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM
MotoGP

Timing wise, too bad you and inderocker couldn't have traded bikes. He was selling a vfr and looking for another superhawk and is in the same state!

The VFR bars are as high as you can go. They can allow the switch gear to kiss the fairing uppers activating the high beams if that is an issue to you. I'm not sure but I think some heli owners have reported the same thing.

Quick Reply: VTR vs. VFR Ergos