General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR vs. Interceptor II

Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
VTR vs. Interceptor II

O.K guys (and girls..) thought I'd give you all a little update. As you may (or may not) have recalled I was a little tweaked that my buddie's '02 Interceptor ate me alive. (He has a Power Commander, K&N, Micron Pipes, one less tooth on the front sprocket, and snorkel gone on his intake..) Anyways, my bike was running pitifully - even on low RPM Roll-On's he was owning it. Anyways, I'm pleased to announce (drum roll please....) that the 'ol '99 VTR now holds steady w/ the Interceptor through hard acceleration. On low RPM roll-on's the VTR own's it, and on high RPM rips he only gets me by a 1/2 a bike length. Now my buddy weighs about 40 - 50 lbs. less than me, and we suspect that if he were on the VTR and I was on the Interceptor, it would kick the Interceptor. I wound up installing a K&N air filter (after the Two Bros. Pipes, and Dynojet carb kit), taking out the snorkel, getting the carbs re-jetted (a little fatter than the Dyno Jet Specs), and finally I followed Killers advice and dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. Just thought you folks would like to know how the VTR/Interceptor wars are going. I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, and I'm more than pleased how my '99 is running now. Now it just needs a Corbin seat and some good R compound tires. Talk to you all later...
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I have an '04 Interceptor and an '03 Superhawk. The 'Hawk is stronger down low and the Interceptor is stronger up top. All in all the acceleration is fairly close.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:20 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
I have an '04 Interceptor and an '03 Superhawk. The 'Hawk is stronger down low and the Interceptor is stronger up top. All in all the acceleration is fairly close.
+1
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
+1
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Isn't Interceptor about 50-75 lbs heavier than the SH?? So your buddy being 50lbs lighter than you should just even out the weight differences....
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
aaah. ive yet to see a viffer beat me!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Back Marker

F1 Fan in Nascar Land is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hammer7205
O.K guys (and girls..) thought I'd give you all a little update. As you may (or may not) have recalled I was a little tweaked that my buddie's '02 Interceptor ate me alive. (He has a Power Commander, K&N, Micron Pipes, one less tooth on the front sprocket, and snorkel gone on his intake..) Anyways, my bike was running pitifully - even on low RPM Roll-On's he was owning it. Anyways, I'm pleased to announce (drum roll please....) that the 'ol '99 VTR now holds steady w/ the Interceptor through hard acceleration. On low RPM roll-on's the VTR own's it, and on high RPM rips he only gets me by a 1/2 a bike length. Now my buddy weighs about 40 - 50 lbs. less than me, and we suspect that if he were on the VTR and I was on the Interceptor, it would kick the Interceptor. I wound up installing a K&N air filter (after the Two Bros. Pipes, and Dynojet carb kit), taking out the snorkel, getting the carbs re-jetted (a little fatter than the Dyno Jet Specs), and finally I followed Killers advice and dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. Just thought you folks would like to know how the VTR/Interceptor wars are going. I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, and I'm more than pleased how my '99 is running now. Now it just needs a Corbin seat and some good R compound tires. Talk to you all later...
I hope you didnt do all of this to prove your faster then him hahahah LOL Just kidding have fun.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Back Marker

Nah man, I just did it 'cause it was there.....
Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

The VFR-VTR wars are alive in my garage. Junior tires with his CBR600 and has been riding my 97VFR lately. I let him take it out solo the other night to bike night. All was well. I had to wipe some drool off it the next morning. We bought this bike last year with 2860 miles on it. It was dirty but nearly perfect.

My Superhawk is almost back to peak and when we ride together - I lead. When I dial it up through traffic the Superhawk sounds like a tractor on a mission. I hear the kid coming in the backround like a nascar racer. The VFR is fitted with a lone D&D and it's loud - almost "open-header" loud.

When the VFR sits at a stop it's like four little soldiers on a quick-march. Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam, every cylinder annoucing. The D&D idles perfectly with the new K&N (no jetting). The Superhawk is much deeper and being a (jetted) deuce less frequent. This thing will rattle the lid on your crapper. Together at a stop - even the cagers give us some room.

He and I have ridden some together and he'll do a close lane split with me at some speed. We were talking about it the other night about how many miles we have spent together - what we've learned by accident and learned by being lucky.

What this brings to our style of driving is almost uncanny because we have grown so intuitive in situations.

This pertains to situations other than the bikes. His ability to communicate what any of the vehicles that we drive are doing is directly associated with our time together.

Teach, mentor, practice. Set a good example. Teach, mentor, practice.

It dates back to when he was in a car-seat and we were headed for the tree farm. This is way back when Hawkrider only had few hundred posts.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I've only raced one VFR800. In the 1/4 I won by quite a bit. I'm guessing he pulled a high eleven while I was close to a flat eleven. The older 800's are faster than the 02's and up. Must of gained some weight or something.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

98 to 01 was the sweet spot for the VFR. fully gear driven cams, no vtec bullshit. 4valves per cylinder all the time and fuel injected. The 97 was the last of the normally aspirated Interceptors and it was a 750cc. The best looking Interceptor was probably the o3 silver.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
"The 97 was the last of the normally aspirated Interceptors " .... typo?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM
MotoGP

98 they went to FI Micky and went to 800 cc.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think he meant that it wasn't called an "Interceptor" until '01, I believe.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I think he meant that it wasn't called an "Interceptor" until '01, I believe.
But the Interceptor name far preceeds my horse. Three generations of such. All called Interceptors and date back into the mid 80's - am I missing something here?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, it was just called a VFR750 for quite some time. I'll see if I can find some history here.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yup. Looks like they dropped the Interceptor name between 1986 and 1997, though there's a bit of fuzzy history there. They may have dropped the name in 1988, depending on which website you look at. The Interceptor name resurfaced with the 5th gen VFR800.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:01 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I think the name disappeared around the same time they dropped Hurricane name in favor of CBR. I had heard it was for insurance rates, but I have my doubts. 1988 sounds like the year.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Yup. Looks like they dropped the Interceptor name between 1986 and 1997, though there's a bit of fuzzy history there. They may have dropped the name in 1988, depending on which website you look at. The Interceptor name resurfaced with the 5th gen VFR800.
My '86 VFR700 had "interceptor" on it.... Trying to find a pic... Pretty sure 87 did too
Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Back Marker

I believe '88 was the first time they dropped Interceptor for the name change to VFR (went from a 700 to a 750) - I had a '92 which was a VFR - I believe they went back to Interceptor in '97??? I'll say one thing, that V Tek w/ a power commander sure wakes up after 7 grand on the tach. Hey man, who cares, as long as we're all having some good clean fun (however it's alot better on a Thunder Chicken {my pet name for my Hawk})
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
98 to 01 was the sweet spot for the VFR. fully gear driven cams, no vtec bullshit. 4valves per cylinder all the time and fuel injected.
You might want to add an "IMO" after these kind of statements.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
The 97 was the last of the normally aspirated Interceptors and it was a 750cc.
He means with carbs.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superbling
You might want to add an "IMO" after these kind of statements.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Back Marker

Although I would have to agree with nuhawk, the 98-01 version looked the coolest (kinda like a mean CBR RR) and (supposedly) was the fastest. I cant stand the styling of the newer viffers, I think its the ugliest bike in Hondas stable. Even with that sweet red white and blue color scheme.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 AM
MotoGP

In looking at the Motorcyclist site, they list a 42 lb increase in weight in the VFR from the 98-01 to the post-02 version. I would lean towards the prior version for many reasons, one of which is the weight, the others being VTEC and finally looks.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Superstock

When you say "normally aspirated" do you mean "naturally aspirated"? Naturally aspirated means an engine pulls air in without the help of a pump (super or turbocharger) or nitrous. I was unaware the VFR had a turbo or supercharger at any point.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
MotoGP

he meant using carbs as all post-98 VFR's have had FI. BTW, the only Honda bikes ever to run turbos (to my knowledge anyhow) were the CX500/650 T which came out in the early 80's....
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
MotoGP

Ok so maybe it's just in the words but these are my "bookends" When you move away from carbs that's where "normally aspirated" ends. Fuel injection begins. Forced Induction into the FI tubes is turbo/super/nitrous.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Aahhh...but you can have forced induction on a carb'd application as well...just to muddy the waters.

-R
Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Superstock

Naturally aspirated by definition means the engine pulls all of its combustion air via vacuum created by the pistons. It has nothing to do with fuel injection. Nitrous is sort of a gray area but is considered not natural because it introduces extra oxygen into the fuel charge that is not naturally pulled from the atmosphere. Now that I know what you guys mean this thread makes a lot more sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VTR vs. Interceptor II