General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

unsmooth shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Squid

DBERN
unsmooth shift

Hey all

Pretty new to the site, and the hawk for that matter. I just got a deal from a dealor on an 02 SH. It has been sitting around in the showroom for two years without ever tasting any gas. I bought it with 1.5 miles on it out the door for 6k. Any way about my issue. When I was riding yesterday I would shift into 6th and the tranny would hesitate for a second and then go into gear. It felt like I was in neutral for a second and then brrrrr into gear?! This happened only when I was cruzing at about 4500rpm, and tried to shift into 6th. It happened a couple times. Wondering if this has anything to do with how long it sat in the showroom or not. It is still under warenty for like a year. I am about to get my 600 mile service done. Anything I should check out while I service???

D
Old 05-19-2005, 08:30 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry man, classic 'Hawk problem...as in they all do it.
Moving the shifter arm one spline on its shaft helps some.
There's also some kind of mechanical improvement I've seen somewhere on this site. You'll have to do a search.
I try to put some upward pressure on the shifter on all my second gear shifts & that helps make them more precise.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Squid

DBERN
Re: unsmooth shift

ok thanks

I do not mind if it is just something that happens to all of us. I was just making sure that I was not alone on this one.

Thanks again for the word

if anybody else has a fix idea, or whay it actually happens, let me know.

d
Old 05-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah

hows tha clutch, the only other thing is if the clutch has a film on it from sitting all those years
Old 05-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Squid

DBERN

Ya the clutch is fine. At least I never have any issues with it at any other time. I have put the 600 miles on in like two weeks and have had no problems until yesterday. It really is not that bad I just thought it strange.

D
Old 05-19-2005, 01:59 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
First wait for the bike to break in. The transmission will loosen up and work better on all bikes after a couple of thousand miles.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Superstock

Jim TT

I am a new SuperHawk owner also and I would say the 1st to 2nd shift is one of the bikes issues. I have made the shifter adjustment described above and it helps. I also installed a new chain and it keep lubed and adjusted and that helped as well. Also shifting my SH @ 6000rpm on positive throttle almost alwasy results in a perfect shift. I have concluded that the only certain fix is to have the gears undercut (I have done this on other bikes and they went for knochy to perfect). The issue here is the work involved and the cost (Fast by Gast did my last trans and I think it was about $300 / I pulled the trans gears and sent them to their shop). JIM

[web:e51936c1e1]http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories/Products/SportBike.asp[/web:e51936c1e1]
Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

The two mods i did two or three years ago are the shifter spline adjustment and installing the Factoy Pro Shift Detent kit. It replaces the crappy non bearing shift dent arm with a nice heavy duty bearing dent arm and a stronger spring. This results in a nice positive shift eac and every time, especially 1st to 2nd. YOu have to pull the clutch and clutch basket to install the kit, but no internal tranny work.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Squid

DBERN

D
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

Fred I saw other posts you made about the Factory kit, I am going to install it on my SH- thanks for the info. JIM
Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

ha ha .. I was wondering why everyone was replying about the 1st to 2nd gear miss when he was asking about 5th to 6th.

Not sure if anyone actually answered the question but I've never had or heard of a missed shift from 5th to 6th.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Squid

DBERN

Okay then still waiting for an answer about that I guess noone has this problem and that kinda bums me out.

if anyone has an answer about this let me know

d
Old 05-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Squid

SurfaceHawk
I've found that when I get near time for an oil change the missed fifth to sixth gear change happens to me. I change my oil about every three thousand miles.
Since the second to last oil change I've been using Honda GN4 20W50 and have not had the problem since.
How many miles since your last oil change when the missed shoft occured?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Squid

DBERN

Hey
Ya I only have like 600 miles on the bike. from what I have heard so far on here it sounds like it may just be a break in thing. It does not happen all the time just one ride actually. It usually does fine but once it went into gear and then felt like I was in neutral and then went into gear after I reved it up. Again it has not happend often. I think that I will get the initial 600 mile service and go from there.

Thanks

d
Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
The 5 to 6 shift will be fixed by undercuting, Fast by Gast charges $25.00 a side so a six speed box would run $300. I am going to have 1st and second undercut which will cost about $100. If you do this you want to check the shift forks (make sur they are not bent) and shift drum for damage. I know this is not an easy fix but it will transform a gearbox. JIM