General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Trade the Hawk for a RC51?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Trade the Hawk for a RC51?

I may have the opportunity to make a trade on an 01 RC51, I've always loved the looks of the RC and the thought of fuel injection is nice and would like one but would it be a good idea?
Any input?
Hawk or RC51? I dont do track although I would love to, I mainly commute 90 miles daily and like long rides 3+ hours one way when I get to go for a joy ride.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by archaicguy
I dont do track although I would love to, I mainly commute 90 miles daily and like long rides 3+ hours one way when I get to go for a joy ride.
With those criteria, I would say don't do it. I had a friend that had one for about 3 seasons or so, we switched up a lot. Very uncomfortable ergos for the long ride. After about 100 miles he was done and wanted to switch. Not saying it can't be tolerated, but after the wow factor wears off, you're left with a much more aggressive riding position. I would only own one if it wasn't my only bike.

The bike is a brick **** house! The chassis is a total 180 to the VTR (my .02). The motor.. just more on top, not a huge difference. Injection is always a + (IMO) and it has gear driven cams, so no cct worries. One thing that did happen to him en-route to a bike show, a wire rubbed though where the tank meets the seat and it killed the bike. Not sure if that's a regular issue.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by archaicguy
I may have the opportunity to make a trade on an 01 RC51, I've always loved the looks of the RC and the thought of fuel injection is nice and would like one but would it be a good idea?
Any input?
Hawk or RC51? I dont do track although I would love to, I mainly commute 90 miles daily and like long rides 3+ hours one way when I get to go for a joy ride.
RC51 sure is a great looking bike! Maybe there is a way to make them comfortable?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
RC-51 isn't a commuter bike

Best used for weekend blasts and track day forays.

Stick to the superhawk for day-to-day riding - Have you considered keeping the SH and purchasing the RC as the cherry-on-top?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
I have the same ambition but plan use the RC51 for track days only. Its a great bike for sure but not very comfortable on long rides but I could ride my SH all day w/o any problems. The best advice is to ride an RC if you can for an extended period of time to see how you like it. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:14 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The RC51 chassis is very stiff. Much different than the VTR chassis. It is a bit of a brute on the road. It has more top end than the VTR, but the VTR has a great torque curve for a street bike. I agree, the VTR is more enjoyable on the street.

As a track bike, the RC51 needs a serious weight reduction plan. Like 50-60 lbs worth. But when you do it, it has a fantastic chassis and is HIGHLY enjoyable.

There are a lot of bikes that are much easier, and less expensive to set up for the track, but if you love the RC51, it's a rewarding project. But parts are getting very hard to come by.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with what the guys have said. Great bike, and I love them as well, but not a long distance bike at all. Not nearly as comfy as the SH, that the SH is the most comfy bike either. Based on your riding description I'd definitely say keep the SH unless you can buy the RC as an additional.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys but no trade happening.....It was pretty beat up and no way I was going to give up my Hawk for it. I love my Hawk and should just plan on keeping it. The only way I could have 2 bikes would be if I added a cruiser, can't have 2 sportbikes.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Listen to the group. I own an 2003red, and 2006 Black RC-51. and if you intend on commuting on a RC-51. You will be not enjoy an RC-51, and the luster of the bike WILL die.
A well tuned suspension on a Superhawk is the most enjoyment. I ride from Asheville to Charlotte twice a week(120 miles/one way) and have done the ride on RC-51. ... Your not missing anything... Improve your superhawk, The enjoyment of the ride to workwill improve..