General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Track days

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Back Marker

Random
Re: Track days

You'll eventually find, the stock pegs minus feelers are still quite a ground clearance limitation. As are the "low" mount exhaust pipes, and even the side stand/kickstand.

I'll find out in october how the new Gilles rearsets do in gaining ground clearance compared to the stock pegs.

If you can, install a "shim"(just a washer works, it's easy to insert/remove if you cut one section of it out, making it a "U" shape) of between 2 and 6mm between the rear shock mounting bolt and it's upper mount. The 2-6mm shim will change ride height by between 6 and 20mm. That gains you some ground clearance on the exhaust and side stand. It may sound like 20mm won't get you much, but it really does. I went from griding the side pipes and the leading edge of the cans to grinding the edge of the kickstand/sidestand. It also helps out the handling a tad bit.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

Random

One word of warning if you are like me. I'm a firm believer that if 2-6mm is good, by gosh 30 or 40 mm will REALLY make a difference.

If you install too many shims (or shims too thick), you'll end up changing the angle of the swing-arm and chain. To make a long story short, the chain will rub on the swingarm and rubber protector on it's run back to the front sprocket. yeah, you can raise it THAT much with just about 5-6 washers.

I also had a problem with the suspension linkage "dogbones" hitting the stock exhaust header pipe from the rear cylinder. NOT a good thang.

Keep it within moderation, and once you're "happy" with the adjustment, have a buddy watch the chain and rear shock linkage to make sure nothing binds/hits.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
I am thinking about going to the harris rearsets for that same reason.

So as soon as one of you lends me $450 I'll let you know how well it works.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:50 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

When i buy a sport bike the first thing i take off is the peg feelers, who needs them. Besides they scare the hellout of you when they rub as they always do if you are riding like you should.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Back Marker

Random

The Gilles rearsets aren't much cheaper, but I was able to pick them up for $414 including shipping.

The VTR1000F specific units are a special order item from the UK, but you can't beat the price.

http://www.shift-tech.com
or info@shift-tech.com
Old 09-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Back Marker

Random

Originally Posted by Jabba";p=&quot
I an not trying to start anything here, but maybe you guys need to hang off your bikes more?
Yeah, I'll fully agree I need to "hang off" more. I don't currently do much other than poke a knee out and move my upper body.