General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Thinking about a VTX

Old 07-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Thinking about a VTX

and possibly selling the hawk at the end of the season. Anyone have personal experience with the VTX?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
no, can't say I would really like one either to be honest.....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Briefly. Rode a friends when they first came out, and one demo at Daytona. My impression is that it felt way too heavy and hard to manage. And for perspective my only bike at the time was a 1800 Goldwing, which is approx. 900 pounds. But it feels well balanced because the weight is carried low.

Also, another friend of mine had one for a few months, then sold it and bought a M109, which he LOVES. He's glad he made the switch. Personally, I think the M109 handles like a barge, but it is quick. Chirped the tires on a 1-2 upshift just cruising. Totally not intentional.

Best of luck whatever you get. It's just that for me, these "power cruisers" are to unweildy to be fun. YMMV.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I looked into the VTX, too many people I know have had them, and then sold them within a short period of time...Not the best of the cruisers out there...I tend to lean more to the sporty cruisers, like the Warrior, or the Mean Streak...both get excellent reviews, and a buddy of mine had a warrior and sold it, he says he regrets letting it go...
Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
My brother had a VTX 1800 custom for three years, his entire cruiser club did, they all sold them for Big Dog's. I believe the 1300 would be a better choice, its maybe 60lbs lighter but that makes a huge difference.

Ups - it was a Honda and virtually maintenance free. Tons of mods and upgrades. Dyno tuned to pump huge amounts of torque over stock with not much tweaking. Its quite comfortable.

Downs - I still can't get used to 5 gears. Its down on power relative to engine size, you will hit the soft rev limiter often... The bike was so darn heavy that unless you do only highway cruising its impractical in virtually every situation. Its weight was the biggest drawback. I had trouble wielding the thing in slow moving situations. Don't put straight drag bars on it like my brother did, you will have ZERO leverage.

The Big Dogs all have electrical problems and they are gawdy in my opinion, we know a couple of guys with Kawasaki mean streaks and they all like their bikes.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Vtx

I came to the VTR from a Valkyrie, a real giant among Crusiers..but able to spank most of them. In the VTX world the newer VTX 1800 F is probably the nicet of the bunch..looks and handling wise. Rode an 1800 Limited..touring version on Friday..great tourer..engine was strong..sounded awful..lacked character but had torque. The VTX 1300 C..probably the best of the bunch..not as fast as 1800..but single crank pin..simple single carb...much more nimble feeling...I rode a Victory 8 ball...Vegas ... Hammer S..loved the 8 ball..Mean Streak...won most comparisons before big power took over.. In Honda's world..1800 F or 1300 C would be my choice.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
I came to the VTR from a Valkyrie, a real giant among Crusiers..but able to spank most of them. In the VTX world the newer VTX 1800 F is probably the nicet of the bunch..looks and handling wise. Rode an 1800 Limited..touring version on Friday..great tourer..engine was strong..sounded awful..lacked character but had torque. The VTX 1300 C..probably the best of the bunch..not as fast as 1800..but single crank pin..simple single carb...much more nimble feeling...I rode a Victory 8 ball...Vegas ... Hammer S..loved the 8 ball..Mean Streak...won most comparisons before big power took over.. In Honda's world..1800 F or 1300 C would be my choice.
I really like the look of the 8 ball Vegas...What did you think about that one? Do tell...and seems the price is not that bad compared to the other Victory models..

I am still drawn to the Mean Streak though...too many choices..
Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
8 Ball

Of all that I rode that day...and did we ride them..the leaders lets us ride the crap out of them.. I would choose the 8 ball... Stock 100 motor and 5 speed tranny..raced a guy on the Hammer S with stage one kit and 6 speed..beat him handily..8 ball has normal rear wheel..not the fat 250 of the Hammer. Hammer had the most "bling" factor..but the 8 Ball was way more a rider's bike..no back seat..plain and clean... But with a Stage one..open season on Harleys..Guy with us had brand new Road King..103 kit..heads, cams, module, two into one pipes etc..etc..Stock Victory would smoke him...he had $11,000 in the engine..yuk.. Love the 8 Ball
Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
Of all that I rode that day...and did we ride them..the leaders lets us ride the crap out of them.. I would choose the 8 ball... Stock 100 motor and 5 speed tranny..raced a guy on the Hammer S with stage one kit and 6 speed..beat him handily..8 ball has normal rear wheel..not the fat 250 of the Hammer. Hammer had the most "bling" factor..but the 8 Ball was way more a rider's bike..no back seat..plain and clean... But with a Stage one..open season on Harleys..Guy with us had brand new Road King..103 kit..heads, cams, module, two into one pipes etc..etc..Stock Victory would smoke him...he had $11,000 in the engine..yuk.. Love the 8 Ball
Kewl...thanks...I should take a closer look then...