General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tell me why I shouldn't

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Engorged Member
Squid

FatHawk is on a distinguished road
Tell me why I shouldn't

I did something I regret this weekend. I went to the big dollar dealer for a test ride of a 2007 SuperDuke.

Awesome bike. Pulls like an animal and comfortable. Moves from side to side like a Russian gymnast, very quick, very sharp. The Duke in my opinion looks good too.

But that wasn't the end of it. Wifey is walking around the dealer and I hear her say "Hey, look honey, a Brutale." I dismiss her (big $) until she says, "and it's less than the KTM"

Uh Oh.

So on the insistence of the dealer, I take it for a ride. OMFG, if you've never ridden one, you need to. Great power, decent ergos, and quite possibly the most stunning bike I have ever laid eyes on.

Then there is the exhaust. The absolute best sounding exhaust note in the world....like boner inducing. Inline four shriek with a thumpy undertone.It begs you to go fast and to wheelie and generally do all sorts of illegal things. And it handles well with my fat *** on it. Over sprung for most, but perfect for me.

I fell in love on the spot. Black with red frame 05 Brutale S, the 750. The stuff dreams are made of.

I could afford it if I really wanted to. The dealer is a 2.5 hour ride and the service prices would kill me. But it's an MV. And its the absolute secks.

However, I could just get my Hawk tuned, jetted and spend some money on suspension mods and keep it. This would be the wise decision.

Could be the best decision or worst decision of my life. If I got the Brutale, I could see myself afraid to ride it. I would probably spend more time polishing it than riding it.

What would you do? The end of the year pricing ain't gonna last forever.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:43 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
hate to see another hawk leave us.
but if it is what you want id say go for it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
buy 'em all

you only live once
Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Go for it. You can always buy another Superhawk for a good price.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Buy it, but keep the Hawk cuz you can actually ride it and not just polish...it'll slow your service intervals too...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
I'd snag the MV, if I could afford it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Tough choices... I agree you do only live once and you could always get a sweet deal on another superhawk. I had to try a very nice used, lightly modded '00 zx12 a couple years ago owned by a friend. For me just the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. But once I got it out of my system realized I didn't need 170+ hp to the wheel and a radar verified 195 mph top end so I sold it. Kept the superhawk as it's my baby. Given the opportunity and the $ I'd own another zx12 in a heartbeat though.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Tough choices... I agree you do only live once and you could always get a sweet deal on another superhawk. I had to try a very nice used, lightly modded '00 zx12 a couple years ago owned by a friend. For me just the most amazing bike I've ever ridden. But once I got it out of my system realized I didn't need 170+ hp to the wheel and a radar verified 195 mph top end so I sold it. Kept the superhawk as it's my baby. Given the opportunity and the $ I'd own another zx12 in a heartbeat though.
Funny, but myself being new to the motorcycle world i've heard this a number f times this year. It's kinda stereotypical, like a fad or phase or something. You gotta start with "something", then upgrade it, then realize you're wasting time/money, so you sell and get a bigger bike, then upgrade that too ..... blah blah blah. THEN you hit 180+ mph once or twice and say "**** it, I don't need to die" and get a "normal" bike.

I don't know, just seems screwed up is all.

FatHawk - do what your wife tells you, skirt boy! (of course this is spoken with tongue in cheek and a tremendous side order of jealousy) No, but really.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
sigh.....if only i had the same issue that you do...double sigh....
Old 11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Me too... I would keep the SH and if you can get the MV go for it and keep both! The MV is a nice ride but probably a lot more expensive to maintain.

Originally Posted by calitoz
sigh.....if only i had the same issue that you do...double sigh....
Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Great taste in bikes and great taste in women... I'd do what the wife tells you too...

Next time she gives you marching orders it's going to be new shoes or sumpthing like that for her...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
in the same boat?

I have actually been looking @ mv brutale's for a couple of months now just looking for the perfect deal.
Also looking @ 750s the 910 is just a little to much....prices are all over the place starting @ $6500 all the way to $10,000.
The brutale is a great bike but!....please go to the MV forum before you buy?..and read all the threads first....
Still a beautiful bike....good luck.....I have ridden one for about 45 minutes and just loved it....nice power easy to wheelie off the throttle in 2nd...super brakes and just oozes quality.....and the prices now are almost reasonable
Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Ride em all

I get just about as much joy riding my hawk as I did on the Honda 50 back in 1972. Or the RD350 in 77. Or the F3 in an endurance race at Roebling Road a few years ago.
They are worth trying on if you can. I just put my hawk on the road and will not be trying much else for a while. It'll do.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
[quote=FatHawk;135327] "Hey, look honey, a Brutale." I dismiss her (big $) until she says, "and it's less than the KTM"

Uh Oh.

So on the insistence of the dealer, BUY the MV

Wife like yours - shops for motorcycles with you? and spots the good deals? I can hear the guys calling for the cousins' names and MySpace addresses.

However, I could just get my Hawk tuned, jetted and spend some money on suspension mods and keep it. This would be the wise decision.

It's a financial dinosaur. It's still a very fast ride. Go enjoy the MV with her and use the SH as that cantankerous dick on the plaza.

That's kinda the thing about the Superhawk. Unless you have the time and dinero to revamp some major sectors you are going to be down for at least a season. We have two here per year.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Hey if you buy the MV you can ride my hawk if you get the DT's but then I will have to ride the MV small price to pay to keep you happy. talk to you later.

Stumpy.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Take a look at the Speed Triple! Same ergos and a lot cheaper.
Good luck
Old 12-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't do it because all motorcycles are the same. If you are still loving your experience with the SH you'll miss it when it's gone. Let me tell you about my GS1100E that got turned into a new '83 Interceptor back in the day.... Different is not always better but it's ALWAYS different. An Ohlins shock, some Race Tech fork stuff, you could get most of your money back by putting the bike back to stock and selling the aftermarket stuff to guys who hang out on motorcycle fourms. Plus, MV's are Italian. In my opinion, and you did ask for it, if you must own something Italian then get some nice Italian shoes. You'll appreciate the elegance, economy and reliabilty of your Honda in hindsight, methinks.