General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Teardown and Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Done!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Hahaha! Such an amazing support group- I'll be sure to come here if I become an alcoholic and AA isn't enough.

Continuing working through my parts as I wait for the powdercoating to be finished. I should pick all my pieces up Friday and maybe have time Sunday to bolt some stuff on. I figured out a way to get the frame bolts torqued correctly w/out needing to buy Honda's tool- use a mechanic. Haven't done that yet so it didn't occur to me .

Anyway, one of the boneheads who owned this bike before painted EVERYTHING black. And poorly. I'm all for black bikes, but IMO they should have different textures/qualities. Flat black mixed with anodized metal and that sort of thing.

Made an amazing discovery in that the paint stripper didn't take off any of the caliper paint, but took off all of the PO's paint.
Name:  PA180413.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  74.3 KB

So I cleaned everything up and put a nice new coat of engine enamel on!
Name:  PA180415.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  53.2 KB

One of the slides or whatever it was called was rusted shut, which explains the uneven brake wear and poor performance of them while they were on. All cleaned up now. And new pads on the list...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

Front brake caliper:

not quite as nice, but better than it was...

Good news is, now I don't have to be warned to use DOT 4 fluid from a sealed container anymore! Now I imagine I'll just throw in Pepsi, 'cause the carbonation will just bleed itself out the top...

Name:  PA190425.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  48.7 KB
Name:  PA190426.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM
MotoGP

Powdercoated parts trickling in... and they look better than I expected. I stopped by the place to check in on Saturday and it's a good thing I did because they mixed my two small odds'n'ends boxes up and painted some the wrong color. Caught the mistake before they put a second color though and they were very cool about correcting the problem. To be honest it could have been my fault- I didn't label the boxes and I have been known to make bigger switch-ups than that!

Color name: Anthracite

Name:  PA220427.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  93.7 KB

So my next few steps are: Have my mechanic press bearings into the wheels, swingarm and triple tree and put tires on the wheels. Bolt everything together to make a rolling chassis, then take it to him to have everything torqued up correctly b/c he has the proper tools to do it. He said it's all meant to be torqued with the stuff on it too. Does this sound right?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Looking good!

I can't answer to the torque question but even if it doesn't make a difference it doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
MotoGP

I was distracted when I was talking to him a bit so I may be misinterpreting the conversation- It very well could have been that he wanted it all bolted together just so it would be easier to roll it on a truck and get it to him! On second thought... that would make more sense...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I've been posting on annoying amounts of threads to get help and so far have yet to get negative reaction... guess I'll just have to try harder!
In those regards you have been massively more succesfull than me!!

I am still plugging away with my rebuild and mods.
Glad to see yours has progressed so well. I have most of my parts onsite now. Still waiting for a few more to get here. I will send you a picture of mine when it is finished.

Cheers, Walt
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by trident00
In those regards you have been massively more succesfull than me!
It's all in how you ask, even old timers can get spanked when being stupid on the forum.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Its all good. I learned. I dont ask anymore. I just SEARCH for what I need and go with that.

Last edited by trident00; 11-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Bolt everything together to make a rolling chassis, then take it to him to have everything torqued up correctly b/c he has the proper tools to do it. He said it's all meant to be torqued with the stuff on it too. Does this sound right?
Absolutely right. Vital. A buddy of mine here had his frame checked after an off and it was tweaked/twisted at the steering head. Looking at the bolts it was obvious that it had had the engine out at some stage. He set the chassis up on a flat bench and was able to bring the alignment back by torquing the bolts in the sequence as per the manual. Took it back to be checked, and the tech was amazed that he had been able to rectify it.
He said it totally transformed the bike, particularly it's turn-in response on one side. Anecdotal, but he suspects the bike had the misalignment when he bought it.

Last edited by revhead1957; 11-22-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by trident00
In those regards you have been massively more succesfull than me!!
I kinda say that tongue in cheek- I learned pretty quickly that if you guys don't approve of something you will voice it... I guess in a tough love sort of way....

On another tough note, I managed to break TWO blasted bolts today. Counting my blessings that I didn't strip anything but rediculously frustrating. Should have trusted myself when my torque wrench said "keep going" and I was thinking "no way". One was mounting the rotors and the other was the head covers.

I got one out with vice grips, but have never had to deal with this:
Name:  PA250431.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  120.5 KB

Really was a downer to the night because I was pumped to start bolting stuff on and it had been going so well... especially after having to wait so long for parts to get in.

Here's the color for the wheels/accents. Went with yellow because upon a second reflection on doing teal, I thought I may not like it in a year or two... I was going to stay under the radar in the color battle, but I guess my inner preference has come out!

Name:  PA250432.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  96.7 KB
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Sometimes, if the bolt is not bottomed out, you can back them out using a small pick.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
MotoGP

A small pick? Like a dental pick or somethin? I haven't really tried seeing how hard it would be to get out yet- I had to walk away and take a breather. Probably go at it again in a bit...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Like these...
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947090000P

Just take your time with it and be careful not to booger up the threads.
Also, don't be gun shy about torquing stuff down now. I've got $20 that says that bolt was previously fatigued by whoever was in there before you. Once they over-torque it and stretch the bolt then the next round it will snap, especially since those have the shoulder they sit on.

Last edited by inderocker; 11-23-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
if that blue stuff in the hole is lock tight, it ain't comin out with a pick. More likely you'll need am easy out. If you're having a mechanic press your bearings in, you might wanna ask him about getting an easy out.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

What torque wrench are you using? a Harbor Freight one? If you end up on the west side this week you can borrow my craftsman. It's nothing fancy, but I wouldn't trust one that broke your bolts.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
What torque wrench are you using? a Harbor Freight one? If you end up on the west side this week you can borrow my craftsman. It's nothing fancy, but I wouldn't trust one that broke your bolts.
torque wrenches don't kill bolts people do
Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
torque wrenches don't kill bolts people do
True, but if the click isn't very noticeable the wrench can help the person kill the bolt..
Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
True, but if the click isn't very noticeable the wrench can help the person kill the bolt..
so can your gun
Old 11-24-2010, 08:42 AM
MotoGP

I finally managed to work the bolt out- just kind of jammed a thin screwdriver (read: eyeglasses screwdriver) in there and worked it slowly catching the fragmented edges. Stripped the edges I was using but managed to get it far enough out to dremel a flat head into it and kept doing that till it came out. So now I'm just waiting on a new bolt.

lazn- I am using a Craftsman as well- keep it stored all the way loose and I think it still functions properly. The first one was user error- I mistranslated Nm as ft/lbs and proceeded to try to torque the rotor bolts on half again as much as they were supposed to be. Again, really relieved that the bolt broke and didn't strip the threads. Really kinda funny in retrospect... my roommate had quite a few friends over and it broke and I go "awww damn" and EVERYONE crowds around me and starts asking questions and trying to help and all I want is to sort out the situation in my own space!

The second one I'm not quite sure what happened- it could have been a few things: I was putting on the covers and was doing it one bolt at a time so may have put uneven stress on the bolt. I was also trying to do it with the frame on (it's back off now) and so was a little cramped for space. Could also have been what inderocker mentioned and a stretched bolt???

Whatever it was, it's out now and I'll try to keep torquing to spec but inderocker called it- I'm scared sh*tless of ruining this thing now because of last night's fiasco...

Main lesson Nm does not equal ft/lbs. Any of you guys trust me to bolt your bike together?!

Last edited by 7moore7; 11-24-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Your build is looking good. You have to expect little speedbumps along the way but breaking off bolts is not a good one. Insure you have the correct bolt for the hole to avoid bottoming out or "shanking" out. A little LocTite goes a long way.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:16 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Mns=ft/lbs. Rot Row! That'll never happen again, huh. You learned that one well.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Oooh..... you aren't supposed to have powdercoating on the bead area. That's a real bummer because I don't know of an easy way to remove it. It doesn't look like they masked off the rotor mounting areas either. Man, that sucks.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Oooh..... you aren't supposed to have powdercoating on the bead area. That's a real bummer because I don't know of an easy way to remove it. It doesn't look like they masked off the rotor mounting areas either. Man, that sucks.
Really? I should have looked into that, I guess. The place did wheels all the time so I kind of expected them to know what to do...

They did mask off the rotor mounting areas, though, and did a pretty clean job of it. I took them in and started asking questions and he picked it up and he started showing me all the parts that they mask off, so I went with it. Also, beforehand I was a little curious about that so did some light research and it didn't seem to be a commonly masked of area. And by light research I mean I looked at a few pictures of rims and they were all painted except for the bearing surfaces and rotor mounting areas.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Powdercoating the tire bead makes no difference if it is a smooth finish. Mine were done and I have no leaks.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
MotoGP

Progress...

Name:  PA290435.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  109.3 KB

RWhisen, you were correct in saying the powdercoat was fine for the wheels... at least as far as other sources I checked. And also that the tires did mount to the rims with no issues so far.

Jamie, you were correct in saying they didn't mask off all of the rotor areas. I got in there today and noticed that one side of the rear wheel wasn't. Probably the one you saw in the picture. Little bit of aircraft paint stripper, anyone?

Had to clean all of the rear wheel hardware which took like 3 hours and didn't leave much time for assembly. Every step just taking chunks of time....
Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
hey,that is looking dammmmmm nice,i cant wait until i get the room and extra money to do my rebuild.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Squid

gordthebiker is on a distinguished road
Wow, can't wait to see the finished bike!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Damn, that graphite looks outstanding! Good job man. Yellow FTW!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
MotoGP

Thanks guys! Things are going to slow down again a little bit I suspect as I need to pick up the rest of my parts, work on the broken subframe, go to my day job, etc. But so far everything has fit together smoothly and I haven't seem to have lost any parts, which is suspicious; I never don't lose parts!

Anyway, it's far from being done, but I've learned a great deal from this forum- couldn't possibly remember everything:

Custom castle nut remover, powdercoating venue, silicon to preserve the hoses, moly grease, frame replacement, checking valve clearances, and that's just from this thread. CBR front end swap, CCT replacement, gearing, fastest color and those kinds of things I would not even have been able to come close to understanding without the people on here.

Name:  PA300436.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  106.9 KB

Quick Reply: Teardown and Rebuild