General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Teardown and Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Shock/spring= disengaged and in my hands. Heard some rattling so turned it upside down and shook some boulder sized rocks out. Hmmm. I also bought the wrong size socket to get the swingarm pivot bolt off so that'll have to wait another day or two. Probably using the wrong terminology but whatev, as long as my head organizes it so that I can understand it again later. I did get my new wheel/rotors in so am that much closer to a cbr 929rr front end now!

Check it! 929rr vs VTR:

Name:  P9050311.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  84.0 KB
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
MotoGP

More stuff that is probably only interesting to me, but in these days of twitter and facebook, I post to the public my personal activities in place of actual human interaction:

De-wired the nervous system. This stuff all just looks really messy to me. Is there any criteria for inspecting/cleaning the wires? A lot of the tape has black overspray from some paint job in the past, and that bugs me. I plan on removing it all and replacing it with basic electrician's tape, unless this is a bad idea?
Name:  P9060312.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  61.1 KB

Thanks for the advice on making a castle socket! Worked out great and save bunches. I finished the one for the frame nuts, now just have to make one for the downtube one.
Name:  P9060315.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
You've been busy!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:54 PM
MotoGP

Bam! Engine! The beating heart of this somewhat neglected but full of character machine. Well, here's where I'm going to start needing advice... for those who want to give it. I'm planning on cleaning and putting together everything slowly. I'm already curious about several things such as: can I replace the hoses with general ones that are the same size in hardware stores? or is it best to order OEM.

What do I do with this while it's out? Suggestions? I'm looking for anything that will help longevity and performance, in that order...
Name:  P9070331.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  75.9 KB

And the reason this whole project started:
Name:  P9070330.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  74.1 KB

Now, I gotta re-organize all of my stuff and start making a list of things I need from the dealer. Sure is cool seeing that huge motor all packed up inside of things. Way different from a car, with most of the same pieces. Just all between the legs. Still fascinating me...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well since it already has APES the major longevity worry is taken care of. The R/R you should replace too, but otherwise feed them gas and change their oil regularly and you should be good. (well regular maint too, drive chain, valve check etc but those are standard for a motorcycle)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
MotoGP

Got the R1 r/r sitting on the shelf waiting to be put on! Valve check.... I'll have to look that one up.

Originally Posted by lazn
Well since it already has APES the major longevity worry is taken care of. The R/R you should replace too, but otherwise feed them gas and change their oil regularly and you should be good. (well regular maint too, drive chain, valve check etc but those are standard for a motorcycle)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
More stuff that is probably only interesting to me, but in these days of twitter and facebook, I post to the public my personal activities in place of actual human interaction...
That my friend, if ******* hilarious LOL! Glad to see you dive in head first, good job. In terms of mechanic work bikes are so much nicer to work on than cars. There's no crawling around on the ground under a dirty *** car. No contorting your body to get to a fraggle-assed part. Most of the time bikes don't leak oil so you're dealing with clean, well designed aluminum parts. Really rather relaxing if you ask me.

-Don't fool with auto store hoses, thats way more trouble than it's worth. Hook up with someone parting a bike if you need specific bits like that.

-There's been good advice for the longevity part, and I can't imagine you have the funds to go very far with the performance part. Order a jet kit and a good airfilter if it doesn't have that stuff already already. I think the bike already had a good pair of mufflers, if not you can find a good pair in the classifieds. Scumbag has some really nice carbon kevlar mufflers that look great for cheap.

-Personally, I wouldn't mess with the wiring. That electrical tape isn't very reliable or long lasting, if you insist on replacing it look on eBay motors or here for a cheap new harness.

-Other than that, go to the auto parts store, get a bucket, and fill it with different styles of brushes, then get some degreaser like kerosene or mineral spirits or simple green and clean the crap off of everything. That alone makes a huge difference, and just cleaning things with mineral spirits will get most of that overspray off too.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, not really looking to do much with performance. At this point the bike has more in it than I can use anyway, so just want to keep it thumping for awhile. I tried mineral spirits- cleaned most of the dirt/grease/grime/tarnish off the engine, but the overspray is still pretty apparent. Simple green is simply amazing too. Is it worth trying to use turpentine or should I focus on other parts of the bike?

I do plan on going through the manual and checking what I can- all this valve check talk and such will be addressed if it's easy enough b/c it would be nice to know that I did something other than remove .25 lbs of grime.

Thanks for all the help so far- all the little advice adds up and makes the process that much less frustrating and that much smoother for me
Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
MotoGP

This just keeps getting better! I am learning all kind of things!
If your clutch cover is painted black and bubbling, a-like so:
Name:  P9100351.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  24.8 KB
Then the inside may look something like this:
Name:  P9100352.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  66.6 KB
I bought my motorcycle very custom. I will definitely be on the lookout on my next purchase. Maybe I can send all of these pics to the PO and show him what his ride really was like... I have a feeling he didn't know from talking to him b/c all he said he'd done is change the oil regularly and put coolant in it every once in awhile (this last part now sounds strange to me, but at the time I just wanted a Superhawk!)

Should I worry about this rust?
Name:  P9100354.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  68.4 KB

And, finally, she is a bit cleaner now:
Name:  P9100357.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  86.0 KB

Big discovery today for me was that the alternator ALSO is in the same oil bath that pretty much the whole bike is in. That oil ... it is just passed around everywhere. I only somewhat recently learned that the clutch was "wet" and now this? I only a basic understanding of electrical stuff, and for some was weirded out by having electrical magnetic hoochie wah current passing through oil. Makes sense I guess... just have to get used to the idea.

Last edited by 7moore7; 11-21-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
This just keeps getting better! I am learning all kind of things!
If your clutch cover is painted black and bubbling, a-like so:

Then the inside may look something like this:

I bought my motorcycle very custom. I will definitely be on the lookout on my next purchase. Maybe I can send all of these pics to the PO and show him what his ride really was like... I have a feeling he didn't know from talking to him b/c all he said he'd done is change the oil regularly and put coolant in it every once in awhile (this last part now sounds strange to me, but at the time I just wanted a Superhawk!)

Should I worry about this rust?

And, finally, she is a bit cleaner now:

Big discovery today for me was that the alternator ALSO is in the same oil bath that pretty much the whole bike is in. That oil is like a spliff at a Rusted Root concert... it is just passed around everywhere. I only somewhat recently learned that the clutch was "wet" and now this? I only a basic understanding of electrical stuff, and for some was weirded out by having electrical magnetic hoochie wah current passing through oil. Makes sense I guess... just have to get used to the idea.
Nice now I know what the inside of my clutch cover might look like..
Good work! Looks like fun.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
MotoGP

I stripped these things with the intention to re-paint them and I think I just discovered awesome mode! Is there any reason I can't keep them shiny, being aluminum and all? Plus I should go faster cause they're lighter, right? And probably cool down quicker... Definitely a performance thing and not aesthetic at all...

Name:  P9110362.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
the rust... get some moly grease and load the spline up. It will prevent this in the future.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

autoteach- thanks for the tip on the rust. and I finally read your whole list of mods- made my night, those last two did!

Last edited by 7moore7; 10-10-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Those two mods are very rare. I worked hard for those.

Also, if you want to loose weight and feel great, dont be afraid to get the dremel, a grinder, and some files out and do some work. forget the port and polish, the heads flow fine. There is actually little to be gained with the cams that it has. Instead, go after all the extra bits and pieces left by mass production. If you look inside the head, there is flashing and extra bits hanging off all over. On the outside, there is a potential cct location that is extra. I think you could cut considerable weight off in just those bits.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

Yeah I came to the same conclusion about the port and polish after a bit of online research. Seems to be more of an aesthetic mod on the inside of the bike which I don't really need. The more I learn about this bike's engine, the more I am convinced that it is better if I leave it alone with my skillset. As soon as I get whatever tool I need to check valve clearance I'll do that b/c it's at the 24K mark and I highly doubt it was done at 15. And the loosing weight was a joke on my part! I was just practicing giving reasons for why I scrubbed the paint off other than I think it looks cool...

shoot, I may glue my old cct's onto those blank ports just to confuse the hell outta my mechanic or the next owner...

Last edited by 7moore7; 10-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 PM
MotoGP

I've been posting on annoying amounts of threads to get help and so far have yet to get negative reaction... guess I'll just have to try harder! Trinc gave me a great deal on a new frame and quickly shipped so that's just another bonus.

More small pieces are coming apart, been doing stuff like this:
Name:  P9190375.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  44.8 KB
after:
Name:  P9190377.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  48.2 KB

And organizing a plan of attack. After sanding part of the frame to prep for powdercoat, I'm liking the idea of polishing it and just PCing the wheels. Anything is possible, I suppose...
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
what are you using to clean all the parts and stuff.looks real good.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM
MotoGP

For the engine housing I'm just using simple green and nylon brushes/cotton rags. All those corroded aluminum bits: WD-40 seems to be working best in combo with steel brushes. My current theory is that it'll keep them more resistant to tarnishing and easier to clean off in the future.

Oh, and the covers I stripped with aircraft paint remover... that stuff is nuts.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
the boss
SuperBike

aircraft paint remover,lol ummmmmmm im sure you cant get that at your local autozone,thats nuts.
im sure its very potent.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
MotoGP

Actually I bought it at ACE hardware for about 12 bucks... shelf was just lined up from mild to toxic. Mineral Spirits, then Turpentine, then Aircraft Paint remover, then a box DVD set of Sex and the City.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
the boss
SuperBike

ummmmm sex and the city right next to dangerous toxic chemicals,hmmmmmm i guess it is harmfull if swallowed or it gets in your eyes.lol causes death and Epilepsy.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 PM
MotoGP

Epilpsy! You ever tried to watch a whole episode of it? I'm usually pretty tolerant of television strangeness, but would rather deal with the aircraft stripper...

I am having serious issues trying to figure out what color scheme I want this thing to be. Not neon colors (lime green, bright orange, yellow or blue) but other than that it's the hardest thing I've had to do yet. And after getting advice, decided not to polish the frame. I want to wash this with a hose, not a buffing cloth.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 PM
the boss
SuperBike

yea,i want to paint my fairings and frame too.i may just stick with the yellow and maybe come up with slick pattern for it.
i been looking around at car mags,bike mags and websites just seeing if something sticks out or inspires a idea.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Doing some good work there. While the motor is out you may want to check the valve clearances. Easy to do sitting on the workbench.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
MotoGP

I did the valve clearance check and bought some new shims. Took me about 4 hours to do what is probably a 30 min job because it was my first time and I triple checked everything. TDC is a breeze now. This whole thing giving me huge practice in patience if anything...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

Work has been busy so the recreation version of work has been slow(er)
Took the time last weekend to organize everything; While my roomate's car was gone I had the garage to myself. Boom! awesome). Finally got things zip locked and still doing the cleaning process on parts. A couple before and afters:

And finally got everything that I want to powdercoat ready to go. We'll see how much of this stuff they'll be able to bake color into.
Name:  PA060403.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  52.9 KB

Man oh man this project is just creepin along but soon I should be putting stuff back on. Talking to my mechanic, he was tentative at best about doing an undetrail radiator in Phoenix, so I may be re-evaluating that option. I could just move to Colorado or something for the sake of my bike if I do it that way. I've heard of worse reasons for moving I guess.

The hardest part so far has been deciding on colors. Seriously. Hardest part.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
MotoGP

I am going to single handedly keep this thread going- this is probably grounds for getting kicked off. Maybe there should be a "journal" category so that I can just keep recording my progress for myself!

Got a couple more before and afters- Cleaned up whatever this thing is:
Name:  PA080405.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  26.1 KBName:  PA080406.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  27.5 KB

Then cleaned and painted my side covers- I went with a orangish yellow (more yellow than anything) as a highlight color and a dark grey for the frame and main color for my powdercoated parts. Hoping that the standard black components and some of this will make the bike darker so that the yellow pops out.

Name:  PA100408.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  53.1 KB
Name:  PA100410.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  37.7 KB

The black is hard to see in the pictures, but much cleaner than the previous owner had them.

I'm hoping to get the exhaust wrapped in the next couple of days and will be that much closer to bolting everything back together when the parts come in!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I'm voting for a cafe racer baby

Nice work 7M7
Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
you're doing an amazing job and learning a bunch while you're at it. Fun huh. Since you are doing/have done a lot of cleaning, some with harsh chemicals, it would be a good idea to soak all rubber and plastic parts, wiring/connectors, etc. with good heavy silicone. Without it, they may suffer a significantly shorter life.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Hell you'll be half afraid to ride it after all this TLC. haha
Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

Quick Reply: Teardown and Rebuild