General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Taking turns and tires on the SH

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Taking turns and tires on the SH plus new Q on last page!

Okay I searched and could really find my answer... I have 2003 SH and I believe it has the stock tires. Now it only has 3000 miles of which 400 I put by myself. Now this is my second bike so this could be all in my head but I wanted to run it by you folks since you all probably have way more experience then I do. This is my second year riding ever and before this I was riding a baby kawi ninja 250(hold the laughter down I just wanted to learn to ride first).

Anyways I noticed when I am on the street commuting from work taking right turns(intersections 90 degrees roughly) through a green light sometimes the back tire will feel like it is sliding from under me. I usually take these turns at 20-25mph and I look in the direction that I am turning. Is this too slow or maybe to fast or maybe I am a newbie and I am not used to the weight so I am not leaning correctly? I do feel like I am adaqutely leaning for the speed that I am going. Or is it just all in my head and have to get comfortable with the bike.

Also my friend said that motorcycle tires go bad if they just sit. He says its because it is a 5 year tire that it is not gripping well. Now the conditiong of the tire looks good smooth yet still feel grippy. It looks like the tire is brand new. So what do you think should I replace the tires or practice more and slipping feeling is normal?

Last edited by supermonie; 10-13-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Hard to say what you are feeling. The tire should not be slipping, even at 5 years old, and not at 20-25. Maybe you just aren't used to the weight of the bike.

Check the psi in the tires. Soft tires feel like they are rolling (slipping). The correct psi is listed on the frame sticker, between the forks and tank. But unless you were too hard on the throtle, they should be holding firm.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
+1 tire pressure

It mite also be the tires. The stock tires were not that good. I never really felt comfortable with mine, was very glad to switch them out.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The stock tires are crap... but they aren't THAT bad... +1 pressure...
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Squid

NHSuperhawk is on a distinguished road
+2 on the tire pressure. If my rear tire is even 3 or 4 psi low it feels like the rear is sliding out.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by NHSuperhawk
+2 on the tire pressure. If my rear tire is even 3 or 4 psi low it feels like the rear is sliding out.
+3 on the tire pressure. After this winter I made a short ride to a gas station to fill up my tires. They were 5-7lbs low and it felt like I was riding on ice. Don't ask how I know what this feels like.

Also you may want to set up the suspension, for your weight and riding style.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Squid

Laynout is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased a dealer left-over '02 SH w/1200mi. It has the stock Dunlop Sportmax D204 tires. My tires also look brand new but I was concerned about the tires being stale from age. I asked the guys at Dunlop what I should do, ride or replace my tires? They said that there tires should be replaced between 6-7 years ir-reguardless of mileage.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
crosswalk paint can be slick when it's moist out...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
And highway paint can be damn slippery when it is raining!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Thanks people I will check out the tire pressure today and see how she turns hopefully its that. Now the Original Owner only put roughly 2500 miles on it in five years I know the dealer well who sold it to me he said one owner because he actually sold it to him 5 years ago and it sat most of time do you guys think tires might be bad if the pressure does not check out. If so are these something I should get if I have the cash laying around ?https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighlight=tires
Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, those will be good for you since you're not hitting the canyons that hard...yet.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Laynout
They said that there tires should be replaced between 6-7 years ir-reguardless of mileage.
LMAO! I wish I could get 6-7 months out of a tire.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Superstock

I think I last changed my SH tires in 2003. Now I need cash for new ones.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
it definitely can be. even old paint. your tires definitely shouldnt slip at that slow of speed. if the tires arent worn in from being new yet, then they can be slippery. i bought a pair of shinko 005 advance radials for my bike not too long ago, and i was pretty much able to ride like i did with the old tires. i just didnt want to push them just in case they were slippery. i can take a 90º turn at around 30-35mph. so going 20-25mph they just shouldnt slip. you could be hitting dirt also.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
stock tires on a 2003 are old. You can check the DOT number to get production date but after 5 years on what were not great tires to begin with, I'd replace them anyway. Its only a little of what you are feeling, but they weren't great, and now they are hard. check the DOT number for date and if exceeds 5 years, just buy some good tires.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Squid

Zorbavtr04 is on a distinguished road
At a 45 degree lean at 20 mph if I give it more gas the rear tire is not happy. In first gear
So it looks like it is the tires.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Okay I checked the tire pressure and it was perfect. I went out on a spirted run and I think I am getting more comfortable with the bike but still feels like it is slipping at higher speeds so I am going to replace the tires. My next question is the roads out here are crappy (rough, always construction, and many 90 degree turns) should I get the pirelli's or go with something better.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
replace the tires, they've got to be rock hard.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Squid

Zorbavtr04 is on a distinguished road
The change from a ninja 250 to a SH is a big one maybe you are still used to the ninja
how about going to an empty parking lot and do right hand circles then left hand and
figures eight do this until you are bored this helped me transition from a ninja 500 to
the SH. I have an 04 with original tires and don't feel a problem unless I try to
accelerate hard lean over. You have way more torque now than you did before
new sticky tires might get you in trouble at a much higher speed. I think your brain
trottle conection is still thinking 250.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Zorbavtr04
The change from a ninja 250 to a SH is a big one maybe you are still used to the ninja
how about going to an empty parking lot and do right hand circles then left hand and
figures eight do this until you are bored this helped me transition from a ninja 500 to
the SH. I have an 04 with original tires and don't feel a problem unless I try to
accelerate hard lean over. You have way more torque now than you did before
new sticky tires might get you in trouble at a much higher speed. I think your brain
trottle conection is still thinking 250.
Good Point I will give it a try first, I also went on the highway for the first time today on the SH and the tires stick pretty good so maybe its drivers error thanks for the input everyone! I will update soon.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Tires get hard as they age. Five years is a long time for a MC tire, I've never had one on my bike that long due to miles traveled. But I've got a practice lap Michelin racing slick from Flying Fred Merkel's Honda superbike at Riverside Raceway circa 1984. Its hard as a rock, can't even stick a fingernail in it. It sits in my auto classroom at school.
Auto tire stores won't even patch or balance a tire over 6 years old anymore due to liability since the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 AM
Squid

Jon87yj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Tires get hard as they age. Five years is a long time for a MC tire, I've never had one on my bike that long due to miles traveled. But I've got a practice lap Michelin racing slick from Flying Fred Merkel's Honda superbike at Riverside Raceway circa 1984. Its hard as a rock, can't even stick a fingernail in it. It sits in my auto classroom at school.
Auto tire stores won't even patch or balance a tire over 6 years old anymore due to liability since the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco.
Those are a race compound tires. Thats a whole different game than your standard street tires.

But I do agree that those tires are getting old. I am honestly surprised they aren't cracked/dry-rotted.

I am a strong proponent of spending money on the important stuff: Tires and Brakes.

Last edited by Jon87yj; 05-19-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
To include myself, most people I have heard say "maybe I should replace my tires" usually crash soon after if they don't. My left hand has 2 crooked fingers and my left wrist acts up sometimes because of that.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

Originally Posted by happytrack44
To include myself, most people I have heard say "maybe I should replace my tires" usually crash soon after if they don't. My left hand has 2 crooked fingers and my left wrist acts up sometimes because of that.
I agree with you and the other folks as well I am going to replace the tires too. I do think most of it is in my head but I also learned from the thread that it is dangerous to ride on old tires. So I may have missed the deal but my next purchase WILL be tire pics will come soon with my decision in the mean time I am open to suggestions to brands and models.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
i asked a short while ago and came away trying the dunlop qualifiers. after about 400 miles I am very impressed. great grip and very neutral handling. haven't used them at a track day yet.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

Exclamation

I don't intend to insult, but are you staying out of the center grease track in the lane you are turning from?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
MotoGP

+1 on Qualifiers. I'm on my 2nd rear and my front maymake it until that one wears out. Big improvement over stock tires.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 PM
rubber side down
Squid

BlackHawk04 is on a distinguished road
Ok, this isn't helpful to the mystery of the sliding tire but.....

I rode on this twistie today that I have been itching to take my hawk on since I got it. Perfect weather today here in Oregon (one of the 3.275 days suitable for riding). This road (Germantown Rd.) Locals are aware of it, is a widow maker! I don't know how people ride down the TV side of this road without haveing to slow to 15 mph around on the corners. The first part on the portland side went great. So I was all jazzed stoked up and wearing those strips out.... Then the other side every stinking corner had rocks all over it from gravel drives all the way down. Guys are always talking about taking those curves and good place for tire management. I'd like to see the condition of their frame sliders... I went 25 around just one corner and hit a couple of tiny gravel pieces and drifted about 2 feet. **** my pants!
Anyhow, reading about the sliding tire just made me think about that. I hope those other bikers were just lying about those curves, or i'm just a pansy! Ha ha.... I did manage to get the last of my strips worn in on my pilot. Great tires!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, Pilot Road2

The price is higher, but here's what I got from SWMototires (free shipping):

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea.
Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
87-9146 Michelin Pilot Power2CT 120/70ZR-17 1 $131.95
$131.95
87-9684 Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR-17 1 $168.95
$168.95
Shipping: SWMT Shipping:
$0.00
Sales Tax:
$0.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
Total:
$300.90

I'm riding on the Front stocker too (from 2003) and the Dunlop D204 sucks. There's a Pretty good Conti Road Attack on the rear, but it's about done. My buddy loves his Power 2CT's.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I like the metzeler sportec m3's. You can get a set on Ebay right now for around $245 shipped. Took them to the mountains over the weekend and flogged them- EXCELLENT. The wear seems to be excellent as well. They will see some track time at the end of June too.

Quick Reply: Taking turns and tires on the SH