General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

supermotos

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
supermotos

What do you guys think of having a supermoto as a second bike? I really like the looks of the Husquvarna SM610. Would make a tuff around town streetbike. I have heard of people that use them as track bikes as well. Could be fun in the tight stuff. Also keep a spare set of offroad wheels and tires could still play on fireroads in the National Parks. The only downside I can find is the price that SMs are getting. $7500 for a dirtbike with street tires is a little too much for me. I can still dream.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
I had this same conversation the other day....

I think it makes a lot of sense! I like the higher speed twisties and sweepers plus straight away blasts, so I wouldn't get one, but the tighter canyons and around town stuff it would prly be quicker since you can throw it around so easy.

The off-road part is a nice benefit too.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i have dreams of building a motard based on a CR500 engine in an aluminum new style cr250 frame. they make stator and light kits and it wouldnt make it too hard to be road legal around here. and i garuntee u that a worked over 90+ hp cr500 engine in a bike that lite would suprise the pee out of some crotch rocket guys from stop light to stop light and on the tighter parking lot chases in town.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:25 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I have a DRZ 400 I use for dirt riding and plan to put a baja design kit on it to license it: another set of SM wheels would be really great for city riding. time and money, time and money.................
Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Buying a new SuMo is expensive. Your best bet is to purchase one used. They sell for fairly cheap.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Back Marker

Too bad Honda will not do something with their XR650L. Honda seems to be a leader when it comes to putting together a well built bike but is a follower when it comes to making a new style bike. The Supermoto is catching on in Europe, Asia and even out West. I know the market isnt the biggest but it couldn't be that hard to market an already great bike with the extras to make it a true SM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Honda's CRF450R is doing well, even though you have to pay to convert it to SuMo use. The next step would be to make the CRF street legal and 'tarded out, given Suzuki's success with the DRZ400SM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Squid

windaddiction is on a distinguished road
I've had a lot of luck with my WR450 i bought it used have dirt and street tires.... in the summer i insure the VTR in the rain i run the moto
Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Supermoto as second bike ?

You mean something like this ?
2001 XR650R
Old 03-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Back Marker

I need it!!! way cool
Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Squid

ietgixxers is on a distinguished road
theres a xr650 motard on craigs list for $1200
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey,

What about the older KTM Duke 2's they are relatively inxpensive to get and are a blast to ride. My brother has one that I got to spend a day on and that is one fun ride! And they are already set up for the street. You can get pipes and carbs and sticky street tires. My brother rides his all the time at track days at parumph which is next to Las Vegas and totally kicks *** on it.

Super
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I've got an 01 Duke II, and though not a typical Supermotard, it is a blast. A nice change of pace once or twice a week from the SH.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Already done it.

Got an 07 SM last year. It is a great second bike. It truly is the ultimate hooligan bike.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Squid

hondatech1 is on a distinguished road
In the UK honda makes a supermoto out the box its the FMX650. I never have seen one because Im in the US. Supermotos are super fun, super slow wheelies, very fast twisties. In the back streach on Gratan Raceway (in GR. MI) Ive seen supermotos eat up most race bikes but on the straights its a diffrent story. And most real super motos are not just dirt bikes with street tires. New brakes, suspension, etc. and the race bikes dont have light options and street legal stuff no reason and you loose HP.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Back Marker

From what I have heard, you have to rebuild the engine after about 10hours of use on the racebikes. I myself am just looking for another bike to complement the Superhawk. They look like alot of fun and I am sorry I lumped them in with dirtbikes. I know they sit a little lower, better brakes , better tires and smaller wheels, ect. I think everyone is right that you could build one cheaper, there just seems to be a shortage of good used big singles in the southeast. I commend eveyone that is brave enough to experiment and be different. Kind of like owning a Superhawk.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
choice

My personal choice for a supermoto is the Aprillia. It's a vtwin 450. I've been told, but maybe someone can confirm, it won the manufacturer's challenge last year.

Oh, and I have a 2002 KTM EXC - it would make a killer s-moto too.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Originally Posted by thegreep
My personal choice for a supermoto is the Aprillia. It's a vtwin 450. I've been told, but maybe someone can confirm, it won the manufacturer's challenge last year.

Oh, and I have a 2002 KTM EXC - it would make a killer s-moto too.
The Ape is a twin. They are 450's and 550's. I believe the 550 is somewhere around 70hp's.
They are f-ing animals. I have a buddy that I ride with that has one. It's insane.
I would have one if they were in stock when I wanted to buy a SM. Oh well, I can always get a nice used one in the future.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Enjoy the great reliability of the SXV's.

/sarcasm