General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk's Reemergence?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Squid

00Firehawk is on a distinguished road
Superhawk's Reemergence?

These bikes are ridiculously cheap considering its "class" and many people are considering them as underrated/undervalued. So if that's the case could we see more parts becoming available once again? Or is it going to be a matter of salvaging/garage-hackery to keep these things going in the future?

Side note: this was fueled by Partzilla confirming there is no official manufacturer's ETA on the status of the back-order on HRC Throttle Tubes. $30 being refunded now.... Picked one up from "Rising Sun Cycles" and crossing my fingers that goes without complaint.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:50 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Honda supports their vehicles for 15 years after they stop production. The VTR1000F was unlike a lot of bikes relatively unchanged from 97–05, so with ebay it makes picking up used parts easy from online breakers, apart from bits susceptible to common spills and therefore in short supply i.e clutch cover, fairing panels

Only if the same part is used in later / different models is it continued to be stocked. There are some dealers who buy up 'old' new spares stock such as David Silver in the UK, or commision for new parts to be made.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Squid

Right; I fully suspect that Honda would not continue to make the parts themselves. I should have specified my inquiry was more leaning towards the aftermarket sector. I know with classic cars that once the value has "rebounded" there seem to be an emergence of aftermarket parts for them once again. Being quite new to motorcycles, I can't speak for them on this matter.

I feel a bit gutted that I will never be able to install a +4 ignition advancer, for instance. But if these bike regain some classic value do you think we could see another supplier emerge?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Squid

Will admit; linking his online store does give me a much better feeling about replacing some of the "harder to find" parts! Thank you; going to bookmark that one!
Old 09-25-2019, 02:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't hold my breath. There's still a good amount of aftermarket stuff out there but much of what was once available (along with plenty of factory stuff like replacement bodywork, etc) has gone the way of the dodo. Scrounging Ebay, Craigslist, Offerup and getting lucky are going to be the way for a lot of stuff. I've parted a few of them out for fun and few extra bucks and have hoarded stuff for years. For what my opinion is worth as time goes by I'm not seeing stuff getting any easier to find. I've sold some stuff over the last few years that I couldn't find again regarding of how much I was willing to pay. I'd imagine "keeping one going" won't really be too much of an issue. But finding say a brand new OEM '99 black fuel tank or a brand new Yoshi RS-3 full race exhaust may be a little more challenging if not impossible.

And yes you'll be able to "order" and pay for some stuff from a place like Partzilla only to get the "not available" email along with a refund a week later. Though many of the once very active members on here have moved on to other newer bikes this is still a great place to post up if you're looking for something in particular.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Kinda funny since this is the ultimate street bike to me. I couldn't think of a moder replacement since everything is so focused.

The VTR is to me a Honda Ducati. Big torque v twin but doesn't break down or require thousands for simple maintenance. Plus the power is in an upright seating position which makes it unique. Only the VFR is similar IMO but its kinda soulless and turbine like.

BUT Ducati just came out with a testeretta powered streetable bike very similar to the Hawk. Mongo v twin power but comfortable and steetable.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:47 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
My neighbor had one. It's nice, though I'm not sure it's over $15k nice... Kept it for a short time and just traded it on a brand new (gorgeous) R1250RS (he happily doesn't give a **** about depreciation apparently). I'd personally take a 1st or 2nd gen FZ1 for a fraction of the price and either would still blow the fairings off the Ducati.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
I always refer to my hawk as the poor mans Ducati.
I love the low end punch it gives and the sounds it makes!
Old 09-25-2019, 10:45 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Kinda funny since this is the ultimate street bike to me. I couldn't think of a moder replacement since everything is so focused.

The VTR is to me a Honda Ducati. Big torque v twin but doesn't break down or require thousands for simple maintenance. Plus the power is in an upright seating position which makes it unique. Only the VFR is similar IMO but its kinda soulless and turbine like.

BUT Ducati just came out with a testeretta powered streetable bike very similar to the Hawk. Mongo v twin power but comfortable and steetable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iyyIWeBr5I
My Superhawk, even with superbike bars, is a torture rack compared to my 1st gen FZ1.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 AM
MotoGP

I have apex riser bars and Givi luggage and have done 2500 mile trips no prob on cruise control. CBR USD forks, radial brakes and Penske shock and this bike is transformed.
My race buddy just got a SV1000. I rode it and it has none of the low end grunt of the hawk. For high revs I'd just get an I4. The beauty of the hawk is that anytime you need it you have huge thrust available. (I know there is a joke in there somewhere but not my humor).
Its a joy around NYC for me since you could never rev an inline 4 enough in the city unless you gear it way down or are willing to crash out trying. (many chose both options)

I agree the Duc is silly overpriced since so many good nakeds are out now.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:22 AM
Squid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iyyIWeBr5I
Never wanted a Ducati before.... until now.

Honestly, I just find it sometimes a bit overwhelming when looking to upgrade the hawk. There are still a fair amount of goodies out there but then I start reading about how some of you have Moriwaki this and Factory Pro that (yes the ignition timer still is a sore spot for me; just makes sense to me with the engines behavior and is probably the one thing I actually would want the most performance wise) but then I get to read the phrase "hen's teeth" all too much. Suppose I just need to sit back and just give it what I can. The bike is nearly stock so just about anything will likely make me happy. Just need to get away from the unobtainium posts...
Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 AM
MotoGP

Its got plenty of motor, do the suspension. That is where they really cheaped out. A CBR whole front end changes the whole experience. Pays the biggest dividends by a huge margin IMHO>
Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 AM
Squid

Agreed, its definitely on the short list. Keep checking Ebay to see whats out there but moving this weekend and got a Jeep to get roadworthy so its on the back burner.

As far as the engine goes; I can agree to a point, but I'm always a sucker for more off the line "zip." Read that this 1/6 throttle will help immensely and that should be at the new house waiting for me Saturday
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Doesn't the HRC 1/6 Turn Throttle Tube from the NR750 work on the SH? 53141-MT7-000

Is it still available?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Squid

Yes it does; same part number I ordered. I was able to find it from a random source as it is no longer carried by Partzilla. It's still available but Partzilla said the manufacturer has it back ordered with no ETA meaning its likely no longer being produced.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Not to rub salt in the wound, but I bought one from Partzilla within the last couple of years.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:02 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I have had my VTR for 8 years and have many mods .

Agree with Joe that the suspension is one of the best things you can do for you and your bike.

I have found that over the years certain parts are hard to find.

A lot of other bikes have influenced what I have done to mine.

The list is long , some parts were hard to find ,

Took me 2 years to get the exhaust I wanted.

That is part of the allure of the bike,

The fact that you can't just pick up whatever you want like you can with the current models.

All the information to mod your bike is on here and it is tried and tested.

Good luck on your adventure.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Its got plenty of motor, do the suspension. That is where they really cheaped out. A CBR whole front end changes the whole experience. Pays the biggest dividends by a huge margin IMHO>
Absolutely agree, the whole front end from 1000RR completely changed the bike and it's one of the best upgrades you can do to this bike as far as road behaviour.
There is one more upgrade mod that is low cost and huge benefit on the engine side, it is the lighter flywheel that uncorks the most potential of this engine without spending tons of money on exhaust, carb' and other expensive labor intensive upgrades.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
The lightened flywheel is a must.

I had an opportunity to ride a standard VTR recently and it didn't compare in response.

A great bang for buck mod that helps to access the great torque of this motor quicker. Comes in handy for extra drive out of corners and livens things up whilst giving your mates the ***** because an old bike is getting away from them on their latest and greatest !

In my opinion this mod also took some of the vibes out of the engine.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Squid

Exactly what I'm looking for! Ill have to hit up Eric this winter for sure.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:44 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
back to the original poster's question. I doubt there will be a resurgence of aftermarket parts for the vtr. it's market is too small. too bad too because it is a great bike.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
There's still fairings from China, SS header from a UK company and cottage industry small runs / on demand making of bits & bobs - like Erik with his R/Rs - speedo faces and I also did a limited run of SS exhaust flanges.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 00Firehawk
It's still available but Partzilla said the manufacturer has it back ordered with no ETA meaning its likely no longer being produced.
Not what that means.
No release date means they have not had enough requests to make more. Or its on a list to be procured, but not at the property level yet.

Once they have actually closed out the part is will be listed as no longer available.

I order BO no ETA parts most every month. maybe 1 in 20 convert to no longer available and the order is canceled.

Talk with your local dealership parts manager and they can call to confirm part status.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 00Firehawk
Exactly what I'm looking for! Ill have to hit up Eric this winter for sure.
Please do
Light weight flywheels

MOSFET RR Kits

Coil On Plug Kits

And speedo faces in white or black