General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk restoration on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Squid

dehning is on a distinguished road
Post Superhawk restoration on the cheap

I buy sad bikes for cheap and fix them up as a hobby. The Superhawk is the 10th bike I've tackled since I started doing this a few years ago. I'm typically on a fairly tight budget so I enjoy finding cheaper ways to do things and I have found that members of other forums are always interested in what I have done, so here's the low down on my Superhawk.

This sad 2003 showed up at my house a month ago for $1500:

It was missing the whole front fairing, windshield, mirrors, headlight. Grips and levers were screwed.

I did my usual deep cleanup and set to work on finding stuff.
Got headlight of eBay for $120 and a set of knock off 2003-2004 ZX6RR mirrors for $21 since the hole spacing was the same.

I was trying hard to only get the minimum necessary to get the bike running but I couldn't help myself when a used K&N air filter showed up on eBay, got that for $29.

Got a clear windshield from eBay China for $23, shape is good, but had to open up some of the holes a little and I'm going to have to do something about the area that's normally blacked out.

A forum member made me some PAIR block off plates so I dropped the PAIR system too as they don't do emissions testing in Texas.

Found an integrated taillight for $40 but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered:

Ordered some Pazzo lnock-offs for $38 because I have them on everything else and they work very well.

Got a used cyclops light from another forum member for free and found this little LED array on ebay for $3:

I also found a set of helibars for $28 on ebay.

I seafoamed the bike (like I do every project) and must have got some crud in the carbs (I hate carbs!) so I cleaned them up and the bike ran much better but was still kind of lumpy low down in the revs so I found a DynoJet kit on ebay for $55 - Still waiting to fit those.

I was surprised how hard it was to find 6mm blue anidized bolts but eventually found soembody on ebay UK who sold me 6 for ~$10:

I knew the sprokets and chain were probably in sad shape, but I didn't realize quite how bad till I got down and took a close look. The rear sproket's teeth were either broken or worn to a sharp point so I realized that needed something quick. I found a 525 size rear OEM sproket for a CB600, a front 525 sproket intended for a VTR750 and an OEM DID 525 chain from s Ducati 1098 that had been cut off but still had enough links. Total price was $63! They fit perfectly in case any of you want to lighten your drivetrain slightly.

The fairings arrived a few days ago and I was both impressed and disaponted. The paint work was excelent no complaints there, but they were made with the older PV technology, not the new ABS technology like my Hayabusa fairings. Still, they look good on the bike:

I realized that I had some sintered front pads left over from buying the wrong thing for my VFR750, found some EBC HH rear pads on Ebay for $25 and some used Galfer front braided lines for $24.

I think I'm going to try fitting the OEM springs that were in my '99 VFR800 into the VTR as they are both the same size but the VFR's OEM spring rate is much closer to the suggested spring rate for my weight than the VTR's OEM ones, more feedback on that later.

Have riden the bike a few times now and am still amazed by how much torque that V-Twin develops low down, even compared to my 1300cc Hayabusa.

Will continue to post pics of any further mods.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Nice work - bung some manual CCTs in while you're fettling and upgrade the R/R before they cause any problems down the road.

Is the fairing a Chinese ebay jobbie?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Squid

Smile

Originally Posted by Wicky
Nice work - bung some manual CCTs in while you're fettling and upgrade the R/R before they cause any problems down the road.

Is the fairing a Chinese ebay jobbie?
I just did a manual CCT on my Blackbird, are the auto ones prone to failure on the SH ?
Regulator (beats head against desk), I just got through finally getting my VFR800 sorted out by adding an R1 regulator, guess I'm doing it again

Yes that is an Chinese ebay fairing although I asked the seller (who is actually doing the painting himself) if I could just have the stock logos, not the V2 below the saddle or his company logo.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
I don't know how it will fit in with your ethos of "cheap", but I highly recommend roadstercycle.com as the place to find a MOSFET replacement R/R. $137 shipped for my Superhawk and once it's fixed, it's fixed.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
I don't know how it will fit in with your ethos of "cheap", but I highly recommend roadstercycle.com as the place to find a MOSFET replacement R/R. $137 shipped for my Superhawk and once it's fixed, it's fixed.
Thanks for the info. I think I may just pick up another R1 regulator, the last one cost me $21 and they seem to be holding up, especially in the VFR community.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Squid

Got the Chinese race levers today, as always, they are absolutely perfect:
Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Just curious as to where you got those fairings. The original parts are ABS but I suppose if the price is right....
Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Just curious as to where you got those fairings. The original parts are ABS but I suppose if the price is right....
I also far prefer ABS fairings, but as you say, the price is right on these. I spoke with the seller via email quite a bit and he seems like a stand up kinda guy:

eBay Link

BTW, the blue ones in his auctions are the actual ones on my bike, he took the extra decals off after the photo shoot. My logos are under the clear coat.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Do you know if your ZX knockoff mirrors stick out further than stock ones?

I am still running the stock mirrors, and can't see too much other than my elbows without moving my head down quite a bit.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Squid

sscooter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dehning
I also far prefer ABS fairings, but as you say, the price is right on these. I spoke with the seller via email quite a bit and he seems like a stand up kinda guy:

eBay Link

BTW, the blue ones in his auctions are the actual ones on my bike, he took the extra decals off after the photo shoot. My logos are under the clear coat.

I need the rear tail section and front fender for my recently purchased Hawk. I am SUPER hesitant to buy anything from china/hk due to a previous experience, but that was over 5 years ago and was not through an ebay purchase. This guy seems to have good feedback.

On the front fairing you purchased? Does it seem like its going to hold up ok? Meaning, is there enough "Flex" in it so it will resist cracking?

And what did he charge you for the fairing alone? If I could get the tail and fender at a reasonable enough price, I might just go for it..

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Do you know if your ZX knockoff mirrors stick out further than stock ones?
I'm curious on this as well. Do you have a pic that shows them straight on from front or back??
Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Squid

Bunch of stuff done today.

I got a bunch of stuff done today, unfortunately I could only snap one pic with my cameraphone before I was out of time. I'll take more in a few days.

Firstly, I just noticed the questions about the mirrors, they don't stick out much so I have to pull me elbow in to get a good look behind me, but I think their shape is more modern than the original SH mirrors.

Today I did the following:
1. Fitted the OEM springs from my '99 VFR800.
2. Installed a Dynojet kit configured for K&N and aftermarket mufflers (Yoshi's arriving on Tuesday).
3. I fixed the fuel level sensor by finding the broken wire and re-soldering it.
4. I fitted some aftermarket front blinkers.
5. Changes the oil and filter (Trying Mobile 5000 10w40, have a bad feeling that it has been a while since the last change)
6. A few other sundry things.

I did all this stuff then took the bike out for a run and let me just say "WOW", with all the horror stories I have hear on here about messing with jet kits and K&N filters, I was fully expecting to have to mess with it for a while. I installed the 2 biggest jets in the kit (195 rear and 190 front) and set the E-Clip on the 5th position exactly per the instructions. the bike runs completely smoothly now, right down to idle (it was crazy lumpy before down low). It apparently has more top end now too because I managed to inadvertently pick the front wheel up too :P. The second amazing thing was the fork springs; Honda had to be nuts to include such soft springs as stock! The VFR's springs (and OEM spacers) immediately firmed up the ride and I found it absolutely amazing how much more confidence I immediately felt in the corners, I definitely recommend this mod for anybody who has the option.

Will write more soon along with some mirror-centric photos.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by sscooter
I need the rear tail section and front fender for my recently purchased Hawk. I am SUPER hesitant to buy anything from china/hk due to a previous experience, but that was over 5 years ago and was not through an ebay purchase. This guy seems to have good feedback.

On the front fairing you purchased? Does it seem like its going to hold up ok? Meaning, is there enough "Flex" in it so it will resist cracking?

And what did he charge you for the fairing alone? If I could get the tail and fender at a reasonable enough price, I might just go for it..

Thanks!
I had an enlightening discussion with the seller about fairing materials after I posted my initial opinions on here. He told me that there are actually 3 different materials that fairing pieces are made from:
1. PVC - Almost not used anymore, grey in color & thicker than ABS and also easily cracked.
2. Compressed ABS - The most common material for aftermarket fairings, white in color and thinner than PVC and more durable.
3. Injection molded ABS - Same as OEM,very accurate and durable. Typically black in color but much more costly to produce.

My Hayabusa has Chinese injection molded fairings and the fit is perfect but the fit on the SH ones is still quite good. I don't know if many sellers would be willing to sell you only part of a kit, I know I had to ask quite a few to find somebody to only make the side fairings for my Blackbird.

My fairings cost $470 to my door BTW.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Squid

USPS finally delivered my Yoshi pipes (3 days longer than expected) and I put them on this evening. I might still paint the exhaust header with BBQ grill paint but otherwise the bike is done.

I picked up quite a few items that I didn't have to get in order to get the bike running but in total I have spent a little under $2700 for a 2003 with lots of extras. Not bad I guess.

I used the HDR picture utility on my phone to grab this one:

Funny enough, I noticed the effect of the jet kit way more than anything I feel from the Yoshis, HOWEVER it SOUNDS much better now, the OEM cans made it sound like a lawnmower
Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Squid

Everything is done and I rode it into work today and realized that the helipad (don't ask) at my work with the lake behind it makes a great backdrop for photos. Here is an HDR photo of the finished bike:

Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
looks nice. it's good that we can get decent reasonably priced abs for the SH. I assume it's injection molded? And the jet kit worked out as well, so you're in business. Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Early in the thread you mention that the fairing pieces are not ABS but the auctions say that they are ABS. Can you tell for sure that they're not? What do you anticipate the downside to be?

Great job on this, some really nice choices.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Squid

Cool

Originally Posted by nath981
looks nice. it's good that we can get decent reasonably priced abs for the SH. I assume it's injection molded? And the jet kit worked out as well, so you're in business. Enjoy!
The body kit IS ABS, but is not Injection molded.
The jet kit did work well, but I (like so many others it seems) just discovered how much smoother the bike runs with the OEM air filter than the K&N. This totally sucks as I have K&N air filters on every one of my other 6 vehicles and they all work great. I may try building a metal plate that duplicates the baffle on the OEM filter and slightly restricts the opening on the K&N and see if I can at least get it to run the same.

Originally Posted by davidka
Early in the thread you mention that the fairing pieces are not ABS but the auctions say that they are ABS. Can you tell for sure that they're not? What do you anticipate the downside to be?

Great job on this, some really nice choices.
I actually had a discussion with the seller about this. He said that pretty much nobody uses PVC for aftermarket fairings any more, he said it was much thicker and far less flexible. Instead he said that most of the current aftermarket fairings are made with a process where they compress ABS powder into molds. Injection forming is still a better, more accurate method, but is a substantially more expensive process.

Now that I have had some time to fine tune everything, I'd say that overall I'm very happy with the fairings, they look perfect to all but the most discerning eye and cost a LOT less. The only small thing I still need to fix is the tab that holds the seat cowl to the back edge of the seat, that was not attached to the correct place on the cowl so removed it and need to re-attach it sometime.

On a different subject, I actually picked up a couple of notable items off ebay that were from a 2005 Superhawk.
Firstly, I got a 2005 Fuel sensor which I now see has a little metal plate designed to protect the delicate internals of the fuel sensor from being damaged by a stray fuel nozzle.
Secondly I got one of those cool boxes of extra screws. I replaced the "screw" that is used to secure the shift lever and added some lithium grease and was amazed by how much less play there was.

I still think I'll ultimately sell the superhawk and get an RC51 but each little tweak I do is making her better and better to ride so it's becoming that little bit harder each time
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM
MotoGP

[QUOTE=dehning;317029]The body kit IS ABS, but is not Injection molded.
The jet kit did work well, but I (like so many others it seems) just discovered how much smoother the bike runs with the OEM air filter than the K&N. This totally sucks as I have K&N air filters on every one of my other 6 vehicles and they all work great. I may try building a metal plate that duplicates the baffle on the OEM filter and slightly restricts the opening on the K&N and see if I can at least get it to run the same.

never used a K&N, but I wonder if a thin piece of foam would eliminate the issue, that is, in lieu of discarding it and buying a new one. The reason i say this is because i copied someone's idea and cut the paper part out and inserted a piece of foam and oiled as in dirtbikes. Works great for the past 20,000 miles. However, since you're going to re-sell it, you're better off to avoid the homemade route to maintain value.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Squid

Question

Originally Posted by nath981

never used a K&N, but I wonder if a thin piece of foam would eliminate the issue, that is, in lieu of discarding it and buying a new one. The reason i say this is because i copied someone's idea and cut the paper part out and inserted a piece of foam and oiled as in dirtbikes. Works great for the past 20,000 miles. However, since you're going to re-sell it, you're better off to avoid the homemade route to maintain value.
Are you referring to the OEM filter ?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

Are you referring to the OEM filter ?
yeah, but i was wondering if you could place a thin piece of foam over or under and spray with a little filter oil to reduce air flow enough to get it to run better? That way you wouldn't have to buy a new one. just an idea.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I may try building a metal plate that duplicates the baffle on the OEM filter and slightly restricts the opening on the K&N and see if I can at least get it to run the same.
FWIW I've tried this (although with a plastic plate) and still could not get it to work as well as the OEM. But I don't have easy access to a dyno either...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Squid

Cool

Originally Posted by 7moore7
FWIW I've tried this (although with a plastic plate) and still could not get it to work as well as the OEM. But I don't have easy access to a dyno either...
I was thinking of cutting a piece of that thin stainless steel that Home Depot sells for for roof flushing to the same outline as the K&N and then cutting a flap the same width as the filter media and height as the OEM baffle. This would leave most of the K&N media still covered so I could slowly cut more and more away exposing more filter media till I got it running like the OEM filter (I hope). I still feel like the K&N provides better filtering than the paper ones.

I actually ended up running around quite a bit more yesterday than I had anticipated. I can definitely feel that there's a slight edge missing in how it pulls with the OEM filter. Of course the one I am using is absolutely filthy, I wonder if the previous owner ever changed it in 17000+ miles

BTW, I got 124 miles off 3.3 gallons which translates to almost 38mpg which is much better than I was expecting considering the stories I have been reading on this forum about poor gas mileage
Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I get 40-41mpg when I'm behaving. That with a full Yoshimura system on stock jetting, which carburates perfectly for some reason..
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The K&N might or might not be filtering better... But it has a higher flow/less restriction over the whole filtration area... And by reducing the filtration area until you get similar flow means you have now reduced the filtration, period... And even so, you will never get it rigth, because the loss of area also affects flow paths...

Get a fresh OEM filter, trust me, it's worth it...
Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
HONDA VTR1000 F VTR1000F Super Hawk Air Filter 98-05 | eBay

is that a good replacement or should we legitimately get OEM in a hondaa bag? lol. I'll check honda pricing today.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I haven't got the faintest... It's not really an "aftermarket" filter, according to the description it's designed to be drop in with no changes to jetting... I doubt that's 100% correct, but it might be close... I guess someone will test it and report back sooner or later...
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
looks pretty oemish.

retail on new Honda filter is 50 so my price is probably between 35 and 43
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
The K&N might or might not be filtering better....
I'm too lazy to go finding them right now, but there are some articles/tests that I've read that discount K&N's claimed filtration quality... in some cases OEM filtered out a ridiculous amount of dirt compared to the oil based filters...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Squid

Here's a cautionary tale...

The back tire on my SH was well worn on the center line, right down to the belt in a few places. I've been riding it like that while I get everything else fixed. I picked up a "new" Tomahawk tire off ebay after reading about the success others have had with them. That company actually does FAA approved aircraft tire remolds (not retreads) as their primary business. Apparently they do all kinds of testing on them beyond what regular tires have.

So I got the tire fitted 2 days ago and all looked good. Yesterday I left for work on my SH the same way I have done every morning for the last 4 years. As I shifted from 1st to 2nd under gentle acceleration, the whole back end came loose, low sided me and landed on my leg.

Even at 10mph, it all happened so fast, I found myself lying on the ground with the SH a few yards away from me, brand new oil just pouring out of what I assume is a cracked clutch cover. My gear protected me from any rash but my leg wasn't to lucky.

After an ambulance ride to my ER, the net result is that I have broken tibia and fibula, my leg hurts like hell and the right side of my bike is trashed.

*sigh*

Quick Reply: Superhawk restoration on the cheap