General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk or 919

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've never riden a 919 rather only set on one in the dealership and made vroom, vroom noises but most of the reports from previous owners I've read cite a lack of enthusiasm for the bike after a while. Even the mags state something similiar. I see lots for sale with low mileage. Some report a stench in their clothing seemingly due to the pipes placement (weird).

On the plus side, I think it might have a slightly better riding position considering your age and size.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
919...looks cool....inline...nevermind
Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Squid

VTwin996Rider is on a distinguished road
A good friend of mine that I ride with all the time has an 05 919...his isn't bad...he's got lots of mods,corbin seat,Jardine's,power comander,K&N...the bike has plenty of power and is good at bottom end as well...the riding position is very comfortable for long rides as the seating position is not as aggressive as the 996 but it's not a twin...with a few upgrade on a 996 you can easily make it comfortable for the long ride and of course with a few perf. mods you can enhance the bikes perf. even more and of course there's that BIG Vtwin sound that obviously is not there with the inline. I rode inlines for years and I love the Vtwin...lots of low end torque to pull you out of any corner. Do some research...pick a few brains on this forum about the 996 and happy buying...hope to hear that your a new 996 owner soon
Old 11-08-2006, 06:07 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I test-rode one at a dealer's a few years back adn the one thing that stood out the most in my mind is the level of vibration I felt at highway speeds. I must confess to liking the look and the mod potential for them (much easier that the VTR I would think) but teh vibe thing would be grounds enough for me not to buy one (as I use my bike for sport-touring and the buzzing in the bars would become unbearable after a while)

cheers
Mikstr
Old 11-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I like the riding position of the 919 but have made improvements to my VTR and might do more. I had a 94 900RR which had a vibration right at 65 mph in the pegs. Didn't care for that at all. I think the 919s motor is very similar. The 919 is a sweet bike but for some reason I like the VTR, I have many bikes inline fours and twins. I keep going back to make mods to the VTR. Why it wasen't a bigger seller I'll never know. You can't go wrong with a Honda.
Good luck what ever you chose.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Follow your heart, not your head.

For me the character of the Super Hawk V-twin does it. I'm 55 and can ride this thing all day long. Sure I get sore, but that's just age.

First bike? Or just getting back into cycling?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I was considering the 919 when I bought my SH. I prefer the v-twin sound and torque better than the inline 4s...
Old 11-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Squid

Mendo Dave is on a distinguished road
The V twin in the Super hawk is a pretty nice motor. The only thing I did to mine was get a set of two brothers slip on's to bring out the sound and feel of the motor. It sounds like a "refined beast" that way. The engine also makes cool "whirring" sounds and has just a hint of uneven idle with the stock cams. It all gives the bike character. I suspect that the 919 is a little anesceptic but I never rode one. Before you choose you ought to ride a Super Hawk and see what you think. Heck you can ride mine.

I liked the v twin so much that I bought a Ducati as well. I will probably buy more Ducatis until they update the Super Hawk, but I will keep the one I've got and do some more mods to it.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Back Marker

tommygdbr is on a distinguished road
V Twin= FUN

I owned an 03' CBR600RR for 2+ years and never quite got along with it. It was great for track days, has wonderful suspension and perhaps the best brakes(stock or modified)I have ever experienced on a bike. Downside? The engine. It had no personallity. It lacked soul. It made the bike boring to ride. It was almost too smooth..... a plain bagel. VTR1000? I now smile again when I ride! It reminds me of being a kid again. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
The 919 feels ready to start stunting. It nearly begs you to wheelie it, then stoppie it right after. It has good torque all over the rev band(very similar to the FIRESTORM).
The VTR has the sound, looks, and style. The 919 has really nothing to love after the first 10 minutes. It has no character. It is nice enough, but it is not a bike I can ride, get off of, and say, "Wow!" The VTR is.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Originally Posted by Mendo Dave
The V twin in the Super hawk is a pretty nice motor. The only thing I did to mine was get a set of two brothers slip on's to bring out the sound and feel of the motor. It sounds like a "refined beast" that way. The engine also makes cool "whirring" sounds and has just a hint of uneven idle with the stock cams. It all gives the bike character. I suspect that the 919 is a little anesceptic but I never rode one. Before you choose you ought to ride a Super Hawk and see what you think. Heck you can ride mine.

I liked the v twin so much that I bought a Ducati as well. I will probably buy more Ducatis until they update the Super Hawk, but I will keep the one I've got and do some more mods to it.

I wouldn't hold your breath on Honda updating the Superhawk, or any performance V-Twin for that matter...

I had considered a 919 as a complement to my superhawk: Something in the same family, but not at all the same. Looks like a streetfighter, but I have a feeling its meant for a different kind of crowd. I'll stick with my SH for now, but have you considered perhaps a Brutale instead?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Squid

VTwin996Rider is on a distinguished road
There's also the Triumph speed tripple...it has that street fighter attitude and I've heard they are pretty impressive...not sure what your lookin to spend but they're not that bad...go to a triumph web page and have a look see