General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Subframe and exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Squid

Fastforward is on a distinguished road
Subframe and exhaust questions

First let me say, this isn't short and there are some noobish questions in here. But if you make it to the end, that would be awesome

A while back I picked up this project. I don't remember the details but somewhere in the bike's life it lost its rear subframe and someone cobbled one together for it. Two pieces of 1/4" steel, a couple heim joints, some threaded rod, and there you have it. The seat was pieced together out of the rear seat cowl and what, I'm assuming, was the hacked up stock seat. I actually rode it like this for a summer until it was stolen (and eventually recovered) and believe it or not, it's pretty comfortable. So that's the backstory.

My first question, in two parts, is on the subframe. First, I've toyed with the idea of picking up replacement parts off Ebay and returning it to stock. Except I'm not really sure exactly what was there before, parts wise.

On the other hand, I really like the more aggressive look of what's in place now. Part of me wants to clean up the existing "subframe" so that it doesn't look like such a duct tape and bailing wire job. I've also toyed with the idea of swapping out another tail. I've seen gixxer tails, 1000RR, F4i's, etc.. Any ideas or thoughts from personal experience? I'd love to hear suggestions if you have them and/or reasons the existing subframe might be a poor idea in the long term.

My second question is the exhaust. I have no idea what's on there now, but I like it. The mufflers have a great sound and I like the aesthetics of them too. This might be a dumb question, but I have no idea if Superhawks are sensitive to the wrong exhaust or if you can just run anything as long as you jet it right and it isn't too loud.

For my other exhaust question, is there any reason the front cylinder can't be run under the bike and then up in front of the swing arm, and then up under the tail? Also, is there any up or downsides to going 2 to 1 on these bikes?

If you made it all this way, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Subframe and exhaust questions-img_0401.jpg   Subframe and exhaust questions-img_0402.jpg   Subframe and exhaust questions-img_0403.jpg   Subframe and exhaust questions-img_0404.jpg   Subframe and exhaust questions-img_0407.jpg  

Last edited by Fastforward; 06-08-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:41 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
What does it sound like running?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
And you rode that as it is,**** your a better man than me..lol
I did the 05 cbr1000rr tail a few years back,was alot of head aches ,if you know someone with a tig welder ,you will save a bucket load off cash.
I used 2 rear frames a broken one and a good straight one
Here is the build thread...good luck...cbr tail take 2 | OZFireStorm
This is a updated photo..Name:  SAM_1040_zpsd9b0845a.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  114.6 KB

Last edited by erno; 06-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
ummmm that looks like a hack job and a half...lol

first of all, run whatever subframe and tail youd like as long as it can support you and a passenger if you ride 2 up...

secondly, the exhaust.... it can be cleaned up as it is, it looks like 2 equal length pipes (true dual). However, these bikes like a crossover dual and dont like 2-1. If you have access to a dyno you can jet to make these work(if they havent been dyno tuned yet)

I've toyed with the idea of a true dual but havent attempted it yet...

can you weld? in which case this bike is your playground
Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
What does it sound like running?
I've attached a video here. We'll see if it works. Unfortunately it's upside down but thankfully it still sounds the same

Originally Posted by erno
And you rode that as it is,**** your a better man than me..lol
Yeah well... first V-Twin and I was really enjoying it. Gobs of power everywhere in the powerband will make you overlook some things, lol. All kidding aside, these things are fun bikes to ride. That's why I'd rather fix up this mess as opposed to just buying something else.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0408.MOV (1.62 MB, 60 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:46 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fastforward
I've attached a video here. We'll see if it works. Unfortunately it's upside down but thankfully it still sounds the same

Yeah well... first V-Twin and I was really enjoying it. Gobs of power everywhere in the powerband will make you overlook some things, lol. All kidding aside, these things are fun bikes to ride. That's why I'd rather fix up this mess as opposed to just buying something else.
Sounds way better than I thought it would. Cool.

I think a Gixxer 1K tail would look ok but mixing a curvy front fairing with one with straight edges at the back could look odd.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:45 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Tidy it up and ride it.

It looks O.K to me.

Something different, sounds better than I expected!

Does it perform well under all conditions?

Mine is very linear in the way that it performs.

I like the exhaust!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
That tail is WAY up there. I like the exhaust.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
D 98 05 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk Rear Subframe Sub Frame 100 Straight | eBay

Original parts are pretty cheap.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Tidy it up and ride it.

It looks O.K to me.

Something different, sounds better than I expected!

Does it perform well under all conditions?

Mine is very linear in the way that it performs.

I like the exhaust!
It is very linear in power delivery, but I have a suspicion that it's not quite up to par. It's got plenty of power but there's not the threat of the front coming up at any moment, which I've come to expect based off people's comments. Luckily though, it doesn't have any flat spots, which is surprising based off the modified exhaust.

Originally Posted by bewsted
That tail is WAY up there. I like the exhaust.
The tail isn't quite as bad as it looks. The rear stand exaggerates the angle. Thanks though!

Originally Posted by Hangfly
Thanks, I considered that route. If I return it to stock I'd need the subframe, rear fairing, seat and what else? Like I said, since it was not stock when I got it, I don't know what's supposed to be there.