General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

sticky brake lever

Old 09-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Squid

Tantofolder is on a distinguished road
sticky brake lever

So ever since I got my SH (about a month ago) I had been bothered by the way the front brake would react to being used. When initially applied it would brake in a controlled way, but as you pulled harder it would start a successive series of "bites" that were less than controlled in my opinion. Yesterday I decided to fix this and I was surprised by what I found. First I lubricated the pivot point of the lever. No difference. Next I drained the old fluid (many bubbles came out on the right side bleeder), filled with new fluid, and bleed it. No difference. I then decided it was the MC piston which must be binding, but I was unsure how to remove the dust boot. On closer inspection I see the tiniest bit of crud (oxidation ?) on both the flat end of the MC piston and the rounded portion of the lever that makes contact with the piston. I scrape them both with my fingernail, put a dab of grease on them and it is functioning brilliantly!! Unless the new fluid cleaned some old gunk from the piston inside, this seemingly insignificant contact area was the solution. Anyway I am absolutely thrilled now and just thought I would share, as my earlier searches didn't really seem to address this in detail.
Attached Thumbnails sticky brake lever-lever-piston.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 01:16 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I've had this before too. I tried a lot of different things before finally putting a dab of grease there. Fixed!

James
Old 09-07-2015, 07:05 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
+1 That is as you suspected, metal sliding on metal, had that as well on other bikes.