General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

steering stabilizers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Squid

Felton1 is on a distinguished road
steering stabilizers?

I only weigh about 155lbs soaking wet, so when im hot on the throttle and catch a bump just right or those damn cold patches in the road the front end is so light, it gives me one hell of a shimmy. Enough to make you clench your *** cheeks and make sure your still alive. obviously a stabilizer wont make it perfect and worry free, but im sure itll help.
where do i begin??
who makes them, where do i find one, and the one answer im sure i dont wanna hear...how much?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I think Daytona still makes one (sold through Parts Unlimited). I'm also pretty sure you can still get a Scott's for the VTR too. That basically brackets the two extremes of cost. There might be a couple in between too. Ohlins maybe?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i have a top mount ( on the triple ) hyperpro.... love it !!!

tim
Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
I have a Scott's and I love it, they are pricey though at around $450
Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Squid

excellent. thanks for the input. ill do a little browsing and see what i find.
Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Squid

looked through parts unlimited a bit, and found a kit with all the brackets included for $213. made by Shindy..... didnt notice that brand mentioned anywhere. any feedback?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Squid

tangostorm is on a distinguished road
Tank slappers

Hi mate in scotland we call this tank slapping when you have the throttle cracked open you hit some bumps and it starts slapping the bars side to side.Before spending any dosh let 3 to 4 psi out of your front tyre then put your suspenssion legs up through the top yoke or i think you would call it the top tripple clamp by about 10mm.What this will do is put more weight over the front wheel.If this helps brill if not ebay uk sells rear shock spacers what these do is raise the rear end of the bike up hence putting more weight over the front.Another thing to check is the steering head bearings are not to loose. If all this fails your f****d and need to buy a steering damper that is what we call it quite a few come up on ebay uk best brand would be ohlins these units you can also rebuild unlike some of the cheeper brands.Hope this has helped and made scence to you mate Safe riding and keep safe.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:13 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Agreed, a properly setup suspension will not have as much of a tendency to head shake. Ever since I set my bike up it's not had a tank slapper, not even once.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
tank slappers suck!
i have a hyperpro on my rc51. it's adjustable and seems to work, but what do i know? i'm getting old and don't ride as hard as i used to!
unfortunately when i get on my hawk it feels like the bars are so free that they'll turn on their own.
not sure about shindy, never heard of them.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
Iv got the scotts and its awesome, definately improved the feel of the bike and i don't have to worry about headshake nearly as much as i used to riding the rough roads that i do
Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Got the Matris M4 damper. Works very well with the bike and never even came close to any shaking in the bars.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Sprint - http://www.sprintdampers.co.uk/
Shindy - http://shindypro.com/
Scotts - http://www.scottsperformance.com/
HyperPro - http://www.hyperprousa.com/
Matris - http://www.matrisdampers.com/
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
ha ha mine was a whopping 15$ shipped
Old 05-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Squid

vee2win is on a distinguished road
Scotts here...works.Some (most) Sonoma County roads suck...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
13K miles so far and no tank slappers. What am I doing wrong (or right?)

When does this tend to happen most?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Felton1
I only weigh about 155lbs soaking wet, so when im hot on the throttle and catch a bump just right or those damn cold patches in the road the front end is so light, it gives me one hell of a shimmy. Enough to make you clench your *** cheeks and make sure your still alive. obviously a stabilizer wont make it perfect and worry free, but im sure itll help.
where do i begin??
who makes them, where do i find one, and the one answer im sure i dont wanna hear...how much?

I switched bikes with a friend recently and he commented that he experienced similar. And I run lower pressures front and rear. What we figured was causing his problem was holding the grips too tightly since he admitted he did since mine was the first other bike he had ridden. You said you are hard on the throttle when this ocurs, so it's likely that tight grip might be the cause. If this is the case, try relaxing your grip and understand that when you hit a bump with a tense grip, instead of the bump being absorbed by the suspension only, it's transmitted to you and the tight grip magnifies it like a microphone does with sound. Use your grip to steer and relax your grip when you don't need to change directions.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Out of all the bikes Ive ridden without dampers, the Superhawk has the nicest front end. maybe its the rear Sag and the other things like fork springs, but my otherwise stock front suspension never shakes its head more than a little when going fast over bumps. Over smooth ground, no shakes at all, ever. ( and I ride plenty fast )

With yours, try checking and adding if possible a little more sag to the rear or lowering your forks in the triple clamps(raise front)
I dont see ever needing Damping with the current setup.
Maybe if I decreased rake and sharpened the steering by taking out some Sag in the rear end it would shake more.
As it is now, I corner hard enough to scrape my foot pegs ends at speed and I dont need any less rake than that.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 05-06-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Squid

right on,... ill toy w the suspension this wkend. calling for rain so what better time? I lowered the front -shoving the legs through the tree (like tango mentioned) _ last yea r close to the end of the season. i did noticed a big difference. Now that i think about the physics behind it..it makes sense. as well as the tire press. and grip. Ill take all of that into consideration. I just walked in the door... 12:37am, from an all day ride. played hooky at work and got the boys rounded up and split town. Had a great ride, some nice roads and a ton of fun. no issues at all today, so Im not so worked up over it. The day i posted the thread I had 3 incidents that made me think twice... about which spot in the pavement looked the softest :S yuck. Thanks to all the feedback im confident ill get it worked out. Thanks!!
Ride safe, Ride hard, Have fun!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
I like the spint pro one(orange bike) as its not in the way like the scotts. both are $$$
Attached Thumbnails steering stabilizers?-steering.jpg   steering stabilizers?-hovtr1000kit-sp.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Squid

tangostorm is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Felton1
right on,... ill toy w the suspension this wkend. calling for rain so what better time? I lowered the front -shoving the legs through the tree (like tango mentioned) _ last yea r close to the end of the season. i did noticed a big difference. Now that i think about the physics behind it..it makes sense. as well as the tire press. and grip. Ill take all of that into consideration. I just walked in the door... 12:37am, from an all day ride. played hooky at work and got the boys rounded up and split town. Had a great ride, some nice roads and a ton of fun. no issues at all today, so Im not so worked up over it. The day i posted the thread I had 3 incidents that made me think twice... about which spot in the pavement looked the softest :S yuck. Thanks to all the feedback im confident ill get it worked out. Thanks!!
Ride safe, Ride hard, Have fun!
Glad your issues seem to be alot better mate nothing worse than riding a bike you dont feel is 100% trustable
Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Squid

98blackhawk is on a distinguished road
i have the shindy dampner,it was definitly worth it.the bike is much much more stable at high speeds,the price was right too.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I found a Shindy on kneedraggers.com last year on sale. It definitely helps a lot and I have loved it since. Should correct any headshake problems you have.

One of the nice features of the Shindy is that it is mounted along the radiator under the fairing. Scotts and GPR's mount on the yoke and would make adding gadgets like GPS, radar detectors, or IPODs difficult. I believe Ohlins dampers are mounted down low as well but are way more expensive.

While you're at it get a fork brace. I attempted to get one but the deal fell through. That would really magnify the effect of a damper.

What may be contributing to your headshake is the front tire. Seems like once the front begins to wear on some bikes, it can put itself into tankslapper mode by itself when the bars are released at certain speeds. Very similar to a car shuddering at say 60-65 mph, then going away. Replace the tires and it goes away.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anybody have any photo's of an Ohlins dampener mounted on a VTR?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

heres the top mounted hyperpro.

you can mount it left or right... the other way just bumped my clipon at full lock.

tim
Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
and easy access to the adjuster ^^
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cornandp
and easy access to the adjuster ^^

which i REALLY like ! adjust on the fly.

tim
Old 05-09-2009, 06:30 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
I got the shindy made for the Hawk with all the brackets and such for about $125 new. watch ebay carefully.
It works well, adjusts easily, and looks cool. I like not having a blob and pokey things on the top triple.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Truckinduc
ha ha mine was a whopping 15$ shipped
Yeah Duc, but we all know that you only paid for the raw materials and then forged and fabricated your own stabilizer.

Last edited by tbartley; 05-10-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
66 rubber bands and a piece of wire @ $1.55 beats them all. Installs faster than any.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by happytrack44
I got the shindy made for the Hawk with all the brackets and such for about $125 new. watch ebay carefully.
It works well, adjusts easily, and looks cool. I like not having a blob and pokey things on the top triple.
Pics?