SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Statistics: Do you own a truck? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/statistics-do-you-own-truck-7741/)

FTMS 05-21-2008 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1985 Chevy 44" Mud Tires 454 with 150hp shot of NOS 110 Sunoco Race Fuel 5 MPG if I am lucky.
Attachment 2747

Attachment 2748

05xman 05-21-2008 03:44 PM

in my garage we have;
my hawk and chevy cobalt, and soon a triumph speed triple.:D
my wifes ducati monster and her dodge dakota (4.7l v8)that gets around 18mpg with her driving 14 or 15 if i drive.

newb007 05-21-2008 04:33 PM

I'm close to paying $1000 a month for gas, so I ride the bike to work as much as I can (45min - 1hr one way).

96 toyota tacoma v6
99 SH

Now if I could only keep out of the throttle on the hawk. ;)

LineArrayNut 05-21-2008 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'll pile on here
'03 s'hawk
'94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 ~12city 18hwy
'92 S-10 358 ci ummm... maybe 10?
'74 Chevy PU beater ramp truck w/ BB 402 8?

and to justify all the gas hogs:

'05 Verucci 150 dual sport - chineese POS gets 65!mpg but it's not much better than a moped for street cred...mines that really bright kawi bug green:(

Hammer7205 05-21-2008 06:05 PM

I've got you all beat: '95 F-350 Super Duty w/7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
'02 F-350 Super Duty w/7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
'05 F-350 Super Duty w/6.0 Power Stroke Diesel
'08 F-350 Super Duty w/6.4 Power Stroke Diesel
All above are dual wheel. All but '08 have power programmers, high flow intakes and 4" turbo back exhausts.
But wait I'm not done yet:
'99 Super Hawk
'97 Ranger w/ 4.0 V6
'01 Ski Doo MXZ HO
'05 Ski Doo MXZ REV HO
'08 Toyota Sienna SLE mini Van (for wife and kids)...
'04 Honda 250EX
That's not to mention demo saws, gas drive welders, portable spool guns, chain saws and all the other power shit I have for my business...
How'ze that for gas guzzling????

RickB 05-21-2008 06:44 PM

'08 Chevy Avalanche Z71 (picking up Tuesday)
'05 Chevy Avalanche Z71 - gets up to 20.5 or so on a good long trip
'02 SH
'98 Suzuki DR350se dual sport
'66 Chevy C10 stepside restoration project - darn glad I went with the 700R4 automatic overdrive. should get 20 or do, not on the road yet

newb007 05-21-2008 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer7205 (Post 165588)
I've got you all beat: '95 F-350 Super Duty w/7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
'02 F-350 Super Duty w/7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
'05 F-350 Super Duty w/6.0 Power Stroke Diesel
'08 F-350 Super Duty w/6.4 Power Stroke Diesel
All above are dual wheel. All but '08 have power programmers, high flow intakes and 4" turbo back exhausts.
But wait I'm not done yet:
'99 Super Hawk
'97 Ranger w/ 4.0 V6
'01 Ski Doo MXZ HO
'05 Ski Doo MXZ REV HO
'08 Toyota Sienna SLE mini Van (for wife and kids)...
'04 Honda 250EX
That's not to mention demo saws, gas drive welders, portable spool guns, chain saws and all the other power shit I have for my business...
How'ze that for gas guzzling????

I think we just found the root cause of the crude oil prices! LOL

Seriously, I have friends who have businesses using full size trucks and money gets tight for them with the fuel prices on the rise. I would be converting to bio-diesel if I had a full size diesel. It's not like you can go get a hybrid to haul equipment and goose neck trailers though. You have work to do to keep the economy going and the big trucks are the only thing to fit the bill.

VTRsurfer 05-21-2008 07:12 PM

'07 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4x4
'98 4Runner SR5 4x4
'86 Toyota Extra Cab 4x4 w/shell (wife bought it new 6 yrs before we met)

'05 SuperHawk stock except Sargent seat and trimmed rear fender
'07 SV650S (wife's) w/Yoshimura slip-on and rear fender eliminator

The abundance of Toyotas is due to the fact that I have taught automotives for 34 years and I don't like work on my own vehicles if I can avoid it.

Wolverine 05-22-2008 06:01 AM

Mine:
'00 SH
'95 Acura Intera GS-R
'90 Honda Accord (for bad weather)

Wife's:
'03 Buell Blast
'06 Yamaha Vino 125 scooter
'00 Nissan Maxima

Hammer7205 05-22-2008 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by newb007 (Post 165604)

Seriously, I have friends who have businesses using full size trucks and money gets tight for them with the fuel prices on the rise. I would be converting to bio-diesel if I had a full size diesel. It's not like you can go get a hybrid to haul equipment and goose neck trailers though. You have work to do to keep the economy going and the big trucks are the only thing to fit the bill.

Yes, it is us, the small business owner who keeps the economy alive, thanks for the credit (I think). And yes, we need the big iron to do what we do on a daily basis. I cringe every month I get the fuel bill, but such is the way it is. I do pass on some of the cost to the customer though. I actually am well versed in Bio Diesel, we constructed a plant 8 years ago (soybean processing facility, making soybean meal and soybean oil), the plant was doing good until the owner was killed in an unfortunate plane wreck. He was way ahead of his time, and unfortunately he was/is the only one that had the balls to try it at the time. I actually started making Bio Diesel a few years ago, but at the time (Diesel was around $3.25 per gallon) it wasn't economically paying off. we had to buy the soy oil at CBOT price, then factor in methanol, lye, labor and man power, etc.. it didn't pay off on our scale. I'd rather have an employee out billing labor at $65.00 per hour, and selling parts and equipment, than investing 100's of man hours to save a few pennies a gallon. Also, the newer diesels run such high rail pressures, you have to add a process of washing the fuel so the bio diesel does not turn into a polymer at the fuel lines. In addition to this, Ford is now sampling fuels on the '08 diesel's because they're having so many warranty issues (hmmmm, maybe Ford got's a problem) - they're trying to get out of many warranty claims as possible. I most certainly am not condeming Bio fuels, in fact in the "gas prices" thread I stated that we could say screw OPEC and US Big Oil and GROW all our own fuels - the US can do it, we just need to build the infra structure, throw off the shackles big oil has pute on us, and get to it. It wouldn't hurt too if we got the two "oil tycoons" (Bush/Cheney - oops, did I say that??) out of office ASAP. Yeah, yeah I know, I'm not talking SuperHawks -but well, I guess I just got on a roll.....

Manning 05-22-2008 08:39 AM

'02 Superhawk
'02 Honda Accord Coupe 4cyl (had to have a manual)
'96 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Extra Cab SR5
'56 Chevy BelAir (being restored)
'63 (I think) Honda C102 50cc step thru scooter (also being restored)

The Accord's my daily driver when it's not feasible to take the bike. The truck was my brother's and is mostly for the winter when it snows and when I feel like running over something. The '56 was my father's and I'm finally having it finished after my dad waited 20 years to do it. And the C102 step thru was my mother's, again having it fixed up after she waited too long to get it running again.

Dave in NY 05-22-2008 09:22 AM

I own two Honda motorcycles; I have no need for a truck! (different story if I had a Harley...)

HisHawkiness 05-22-2008 11:32 AM

99' Black/Red Superhawk
91' 240sx Coupe SR20DET W/Tons of bolt ons.
96' Probe GT, KLZE Motor swap/Boltons
94' Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 2WD

eugeneutopia 05-22-2008 01:58 PM

'06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (280 hp, 5000lb towing, 34MPG)
'98 SH
'06 GSXR1000
'03 GSX1300R
'87 Connie

FL02SupaHawk996 05-22-2008 02:13 PM

my other ride is a 2007 GTI and of course it's Red cuz that's the fastest color!

2.0L 4-banger with nice little turbo bringing 200 ft/lb torque

Hwy claims 32mpg, but I'll never see it with my lead foot:(

catch me if you can:nana:

whytey 05-22-2008 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here,s my truck , all 631 hp and 2050 ft/lbs of torque and it drinks diesel like i drink beer .

Little_Horse 05-22-2008 04:20 PM

Yr 2000 superhawk
Yr 1990 Mazda B2600 Four banger PU

nuhawk 05-22-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by newb007 (Post 165604)

Hammer is right. Everything we touch is heavy, hauled, usually hauled again into the jobsite and diesel rules. This mamby-pamby bullshit with diesel prices is all about extending the sales curve for H3's. The fucking oil companies knew that we would pay the bill because we HAVE to. Only until mid-grade gasoline and premium gets above $5.50 per gallon will it take these bitches off the road.

nuhawk 05-22-2008 04:55 PM

I forgot to mention, our local station went to $4.679 this afternoon. Got lunch? Maybe not anymore.

VTRsurfer 05-22-2008 07:28 PM

Back to motherbelgium's comment about LANE SPLITTING, I'm sure I've got well over a thousand miles of lane splitting over the years. When I got my first bike in 1981, at 35 years old, a friend of mine gave me valuable advise that lane splitting can save your life when done responsibly (not going 65 mph when the cars are going 10 mph) going about 15 mph or so faster than the cars. Of course some of the cage riders resent this...get ready for evasive maneuvers.
About two months later while riding to work on the 55 freeway in Orange County, CA, the traffic started slowing in front of me so I went to the right of a gold Monte Carlo between the 1 and 2 lanes. When I reached the front of the Monte, it got rammed in the rear. I probably wouldn't be here today if I didn't lane split.

Blkbird 05-22-2008 07:37 PM

1995 Chevy Silverado 5.7 V8

steener 05-22-2008 08:26 PM

I think the original comment about motorcycle riders being more conservative when it comes to gas consumption doesn't apply to 'Hawk owners. Really, how many of us own 'Hawks because of the terrific gas mileage?

divingindaytona 05-22-2008 08:29 PM

2000 Honda Civic EX - mine
1993 Honda Civic SI - Hers

Go honda!

newb007 05-22-2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer7205 (Post 165678)
Yes, it is us, the small business owner who keeps the economy alive, thanks for the credit (I think). And yes, we need the big iron to do what we do on a daily basis. I cringe every month I get the fuel bill, but such is the way it is. I do pass on some of the cost to the customer though. I actually am well versed in Bio Diesel, we constructed a plant 8 years ago (soybean processing facility, making soybean meal and soybean oil), the plant was doing good until the owner was killed in an unfortunate plane wreck. He was way ahead of his time, and unfortunately he was/is the only one that had the balls to try it at the time. I actually started making Bio Diesel a few years ago, but at the time (Diesel was around $3.25 per gallon) it wasn't economically paying off. we had to buy the soy oil at CBOT price, then factor in methanol, lye, labor and man power, etc.. it didn't pay off on our scale. I'd rather have an employee out billing labor at $65.00 per hour, and selling parts and equipment, than investing 100's of man hours to save a few pennies a gallon. Also, the newer diesels run such high rail pressures, you have to add a process of washing the fuel so the bio diesel does not turn into a polymer at the fuel lines. In addition to this, Ford is now sampling fuels on the '08 diesel's because they're having so many warranty issues (hmmmm, maybe Ford got's a problem) - they're trying to get out of many warranty claims as possible. I most certainly am not condeming Bio fuels, in fact in the "gas prices" thread I stated that we could say screw OPEC and US Big Oil and GROW all our own fuels - the US can do it, we just need to build the infra structure, throw off the shackles big oil has pute on us, and get to it. It wouldn't hurt too if we got the two "oil tycoons" (Bush/Cheney - oops, did I say that??) out of office ASAP. Yeah, yeah I know, I'm not talking SuperHawks -but well, I guess I just got on a roll.....

i didn't know anything about the diesel specifics and bio-diesel but thats good to know. I was serious about small business supporting the economy. We do need to put more emphasis on alternative sources of fuel and even on new tehcnology....but like you said, back to the thread.

fundgh 05-23-2008 12:31 AM

This thread was started in 05 and I didn't read all the way through it. I hope the OP finished the study, and was smart enough to consider a much wider sampling than this thread! As for the original debate with the brother, well, I think you lose. Looks like most people have trucks. They may not fully qualify as gas guzzlers, but we ride a gas guzzler of a motorcycle, so you are not sampling the most eco-friendly rider population.

My stats-
91 Toyota PU 4x4 18-22 mpg
03 Ford Focus 25-32 mpg

I try not to spend my entire wad getting from point a to point b. I would rather spend it by riding 100 miles to go from point a to ...point a!

Hammer7205 05-23-2008 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 165780)
I forgot to mention, our local station went to $4.679 this afternoon. Got lunch? Maybe not anymore.

Just paid $5.00 a gallon for diesel yesterday, filled to trucks - $170.00 ea. Fucking ouch.....If anybody can figure out a way to put service bodies on SuperHawk's, I'm all ears....

MUHerdFan 05-23-2008 05:48 AM

Currently own:

2001 Olds Alero (26mpg)
2003 Mazda Tribute AWD (16/20)
1998 SHawk

Used to own:
1981 Pontiac TA Turbo (10.5mpg)
1988 Ford Bronco 5.0 (12.7mpg)
1996 Ford Bronco 5.7 (14mpg)
1957 Chevy Model 150 I-6, 65K original miles, fully restored
1964.5 Ford Mustang 289cid, fully restored
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, fully restored
1989 Honda Hawk GT NT650

My father works as a Senior Process Engineer for a big oil company. I have heard the speech about stupid consumption since I was a child. Truly, there are many people that can justify a vehicle, and by the look of this thread, many of you have plenty of justification. The problem lies with the folks that pull 'sailboat' fuel in their trucks and brag about being able to afford gas. The SUV craze of the 1990's was plain stupid. Our gas is cheaper than any other country, and based on inflation, we should have been paying this much for gas a long time ago.

If (and I should say 'when') we become a diesel country, we have a few battles. First, we have a shitload of gasoline-burning cars that most people won't be able to replace quickly. Since the US uses catalyst cracking versus hydro-cracking to produce fuel, we will have to convert our current refineries to do so. Hydro-cracking produces more diesel and less gasoline, and thus, gasoline will just keep getting more expensive. Other countries tax the hell out of gas for several reasons, but one thing that occurs is that people won't buy gas guzzlers because of high prices, which forces the car manufacturers to produce fuel-efficient vehicles. With diesel, one downside is emissions, but LeMans racing has shown that we can RACE 800HP diesels and meet emissions requirements.

Since the working man/woman with the working truck can justify ownership of large trucks, I just assume the government give extremely large tax deductions, or better yet, PAY them for their fuel since they keep us running as a country.

With that being said, we all obviously own motorcycles, which are efficient. And it's nice out today......