General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Squemish front end on SH

Old 05-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Squemish front end on SH

hey guys. i know , this may sound redundant, but i know theres talk on her of a direct bolt on for the rc51 front end AND the 929/954 front end. i was out ridin last night to go to the TOPS all american rib cookoff and see the Blue Oyter Cult play ,and every time lets say i try to hit a corner slightly harder than normal(like an ON RAMP) the front end feels squemish, or unplanted. like if i dont stay perfectly still to form in the turn and not move, the steering head seems to be unplanted or easy to disrupt. anyways, i hope its not my suspension setting as i have the rear at the 3rd from the bottom and the front in stock. anyways,

which front end do you thin is better? also, i find links for the 929 front forks for cheap, but do i REALLY need all the other stuff? (calipers, rotors brakes bearings,etc. ) i dont know , so keep me posted. i would like to solve this instability issue while cornering. seems like its just not absorbing or digging into the corner for stability.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Squemish front end on SH

Well, before opting for radical surgery why don't use try some therapy first?

Set your front sag, try better (racetech) springs and/or different weights of fork oil, gold valves, dampner rod mod, or consider a fork brace.

Throwing on a front end not designed (setup) for the superhawk is no guarantee of suspension nirvana. The 929 front is known for being soft for that bike which is, of course, much ligher so you'd probably still need new springs/oil at the minimum. USD do look cool tho'! 8)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
How much do you weigh? I'm about 195 and I've got the front full in and the rear on setting 1 just to get the sag (almost) even. The front springs are designed for a 120 lbish rider, which means you probably need stiffer ones (depending on your weight). I'd definetly sort out your sag settings before you worry about bolting an entire new front end on. If you've got a friend who's familiar with setting up suspension, have them over for a beer and a measuring session to get everything straightened out. If not, google on setting sag for MC's and have at it. Also, if you've got the front too soft and the rear too hard, you're dialing in less rake in the front, which can add to steering instability (headshake). Hope that helps.

-Jim
Old 06-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend

How many miles? I just hit 10k and the suspension is as loose as granny's fannie. Time for Penske in rear and Race Tech up front. What's the consensus on gold valves - worth doing along with new springs?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok, i am 160lbs, and the bike is a 98 with 16k on it(put on 2500 miles already in an ohio spring!) . im gonna do some research on sag. its not that the head shakes like tank slap from accelerating and hittin a bump or whatever, its smooth as silk. its just when im into curves it seems i can tap tap the bar ends and it would be swervy , kinda like the same feeling if your goin straight on a road and 35mph, and you pus on one side of the bar or the other, you kinda sway. anyways, ill do what you guys said and do some research on sag and preload. but i DID already put it to the factory settings in the fron and the 3rd position on the back.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

For Denver traffic, I'm currently running softest in the back and factory for the front. Seems to be a good combination but low speed turns under 25 mph sometimes feel a tiiiiiiny bit squirmy when the lean is deep (ie. stoplight into right turn) but then again I'm ultra sensitive to those things. Anything above 25 mph is ultra good. Deep leans at 140 mph feel ultra confident despite road conditions. Zero squirm. I weigh 180.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Superstock

pigwings

Tires?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Originally Posted by pigwings";p=&quot
Tires?
tires are crap dunlops. as in my ebay tires post, i am buying a new pair of pirelli diablos soon. front tire is fine, rear is baldy
Old 06-05-2005, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bald rear tire will make any bike feel funny up front. Espeacially if the center is worn more than the sides (always happens here in the flatlands of south Fla.). It's from moving from the flat plane of the center to the curved plane of the sides. The tire is trying to ride on two different surface planes.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
this is an interesting theory. and might possibly it. i need new tires. they are d204 POS's . need some diablos. seem to be the best for our bike (heat up quick, last 4.5k miles or more, etc. ) we shall see
Old 06-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put Pilot Powers on mine, and it's like it's a new bike. There is some disagreement about what the best new tire is, but nobody will argue that those 204s were complete crap. I didn't realize just HOW BAD they were until I upgraded.