General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sprocket sizing and speedo accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
Sprocket sizing and speedo accuracy

Hey everybody.
I've been lurking on this site since it started and have finally posted I saw an auction on ebay for the 520 chain conversion and the seller had a statement on there regarding the accuracy of the speedometer and changing sprocket sizes. I was wondering if it was true or not.

Quote from auction:
"Furthermore the Honda Gauge cluster is about 8-10% high from the factory settings. One more benefit of the kit we sell is that it actually makes the speedometer only 2% high as opposed to 8-10% too high"

The kit is a 1 down 2 up sproket kit plus chain. Here is the link to the auction

520 Conversion Kit Auction

Does anyone know if this is accurate or not?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:27 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Probably about right. Hondas tend to be among the more optomistic of brands. However, every one is a little different and the variance grows with speed.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
Re: Sprocket sizing and speedo accuracy

I guess I'll have to check my speedo to see how off it is and gauge from there. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-12-2005, 07:57 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

OK, trying to "envision" this kind of stuff makes my head hurt so I'm usually wrong.

I've always heard that dropping down on the front throws off your readings in an upwards way; i.e., you'll be reading even higher than true roadspeed and you odo will read more miles. It seems doing that AND going up on the rear would make things even worse still.

IIRC, stock gearing error is about 6%. In my case, I have 15t and it reads approx 10% high compared to my sigma computer at highway speeds. I don't look at it much at lower in town speeds so I'm not sure what the error % is on the low end.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Squid

SurfaceHawk
I tried 15/45 ( ) for a while and the Speedo error was worse than stock, in the same direction. The bike accelerated very quickly, but the error was just too much to live with. This kit would not be as bad as the ratio I tried, but it would be in the same direction.
The speedometer is picked off the transmission, so changing the final drive ratio will change the spedometer "calibration".
I wonder...has anyone tried a 16.5" inch wheel/tire setup on the Hawk...that would change the final drive ratio, right?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to be carful not to pop the clutch too hard from a dead stop or she'll pull the front up very fast
*immediately orders a 15t front sproket*
Old 04-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

RVO27

I thought the auction quote was a little fishy. I have a 15 tooth in the front right now and it's definatly high. I think I might get one of thos speedo calibrators to fix the gauge. Thanks for all the replies guys.