General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

shortchanged it from the beginning

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Engorged Member
Squid

FatHawk is on a distinguished road
shortchanged it from the beginning

Since I've had my VTR, I've just ridden it. I never really gave it the benefit of the doubt for carving up back roads. I guess I neglected it. All I could think of was the first day I test rode it and remembered how I had to muscle it a little bit to turn in compared to a lot of other bikes I've ridden. But I still loved the bike, thats why I got it. I'm also a fat guy and figured it would do a lot better with the suspension tuned up a little. That and I never thought I'd ever be putting a knee down again.

The other day I was out riding on a road I knew pretty well. I had a sweeper and it was a nice day, the bike felt pretty "on", so I figured what the hell lets give it a go.

Man was I wrong about this bike. Came into a decreasing radius right hander, shifted my butt half off the seat, picked my line, turned in, relaxed my left arm on the tank and looked through the turn. The thing was on a rail. I felt like I might run a little wide so I pushed the peg a little harder and it pulled through like a champ. I seriously was short-changing this bike from the beginning.

The old FZR got pushed a little, but that was ten years and a hundred pounds ago. It's like having a new bike! I wish I would have trusted the handling from the beginning. No downshifting three either, just one and the power was there.

I'm taking this bitch to the track, I gotta she how much farther it'll go. When I heard people calling the Hawk a poor man's Duc I just laughed. Now I know what they were talking about.

If you're thinking about getting a VTR, do it. Just had to share, later.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
You've got it!
Yeah, they behave a little differently than the supersports but they can rail. I've found the inward butt shift is the key.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
They def. behave differently than the others. I actually find it is harder work to make the hawk corner efficiently..seems to always run wider than I want or want to or stand up, but once you master the correct butt shift, it feels as stable as anything I've ridden. Switching on/off the hawk to gixxer every day has really made me realize how different the bikes approach things. Yet once mastered I don't know which is better. I "feel" faster and more in control on the gixxer, but my speedometer tells me the opposite. On the tighter twisties I am faster on the hawk. On the fast sweepers the gixxer wins.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
The hawks are good bikes but the new supersports are great bikes. My last bike was a 720lb KZ1300 with 18" wheels. With all that rotating mass, and twig forks the bike flexed so much in sweeper corners I though it was going to break the frame and/or the forks. I could out corner my buddy on an 05 6RR which goes to show its all about rider. Think of your superhawk as a warm up bat.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
All I know is that my friends on there gsxr's and cbr's just can't get rid of me on the twisty's
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
stock they do stick good but do take a bit of muscle. so far the best changes to handleing ive found is a good set of tires and the rear shock spacer. man that made my bike as flickable as my old CBR and with all the torque i can flat drive around my friends on their 600's in some of the tighter corners.

im sure aftermarket shock and diffewrent forks would make it that much better.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
My VTR turns in MUCH quicker and easier than the 1000RR. My goal, actually, is to get the RR to steer like the VTR. I think I need to put her on a diet some more. The RR is about 15-20# heavier. 90% of the trick is to find the right geometry for each bike. The VTR was easy to find. The RR not so much.

The difference between the two once in the turn is that the RR is much more stable. Oh, and if you're good you can leave a blackie on the exit with the RR, not so much the VTR. Difference = 60hp.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by johnnyhonda
All I know is that my friends on there gsxr's and cbr's just can't get rid of me on the twisty's
Same here ! and usually leave a few of em ! Even on a bike thats 8yrs older than theirs and giving up 20 HP to them !
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
aaaaaahhhhhh.......Another satisfied customer
Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hrcvf1000r
Same here ! and usually leave a few of em ! Even on a bike thats 8yrs older than theirs and giving up 20 HP to them !
Yeah I love getting them all worked up about that.: They really get mad when you bring up the fact that your Hawk is that much older
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Usually the more I ride a bike, the duller it seems to get and the excitement and smile on my face fades...

So far, this bike has kept me smiling. Granted, it took a few mods and a crazy sprocket set, but every time I grab a handful of throttle I can't help but get a big smile on my face. And it pulls like a damn freight train....whew...I don't see how I could ride an inline bike after this, unless it were a liter.

Hell I pulled on a stock Honda 919 once....figured he'd tear me up, but when he let me get the jump on him and then he opened up, he found out that he couldn't run me down like he figured...shame on him for getting cocky And once we were past 110, it was over for him aerodynamically, being a naked bike...I was in full tuck and pulled on him like a bandit

All that being said, I LOVE THIS BIKE.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Flickability is just a frontend conversion away guys!! Seriously a good shock and a new front end is all you need to make the SH a TRUE sportbike. The most fun I have is passing brand new $10,000 SuperSport bikes on the track with an under powered 9yr old bike!!