General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SHOG rally Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I like the Punkin Center. It's fairly close to the Dragon, though on the other end. There is a diner with awesome breakfast right in that area too. Rates arent' bad. I called and left a message for reservations between June 7-11 for the full service cabin. The site doesn't show how many it sleeps but I'll ask when they call me back. You guys in for that one if it's available? I was thinking of reserving 2 cabins. Also, if two aren't available, there is camping. I'm sure none of us will mind sharing the bathroom.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:55 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm... Punkin could be good... check this place out, too:

http://www.huntingboyrentals.com/

Near Robbinsville. 26 mi. to the Gap. 6 beds/ "sleeps 8". $100/nite, $500/wk.

I left a VM for them to call me. Let you know.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Six beds. All guys --> sleeps six.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
SuperBike

Talked w/ the lady @ Punkin Center motorcycle resort. She said some guy called about the same dates I was asking about. Haha!

Anyway, Greg put me down for Punkin. Kickinchickin... you in? (Sleeps 3 per Greg's Rule.)
Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Yeah, that was me that called. She called 2 minutes before I had to leave for work so I'm calling her back tomorrow with CC info to reserve the rooms. One cabin sleeps three, the other sleeps 4 I believe. I didn't listen too closely because I was intent on getting to work. Should I reserve both or just the 3-man? The one that sleeps 4 has a 1/2 bath but the guys that sleep in that one can share our shower. I asked about that and she said no problem. I need to know quickly so pipe up otherwise I'm only reserving the 3-man.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

This is what I have so far for people attending:

Brian A - CROT - 6/8-6/10
L8RGYZ (Steve) - Punkin? - 6/8-6/13
Hawkrider (Greg) - Punkin - 6/8-6/15
Kickenchicken996 - Punkin? - 6/8-6/12
SgtRock - commuting - 6/?
Verne - CROT 6/8-6/10

I'll update this post as we get more information. Looks like right now we only need the one 3-person cabin, yes?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:23 AM
SuperBike

Yep, she told me it was you... gave me your SSN, too.

I'm in for the nites of 6/8 thru 6/12. Looks like a cool place to hang out. You need any cash up front, Greg?

Oh BTW, despite what the website says; we do NOT have to provide our own sheets & towels. They also told me ALL cabins do have a shower & that they just need to update their website.

(Lady said they had a mat if anyone else wanted to sack out on the floor.)
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Dates for me....8th-12 4 nights...I am staying in Suches for two nights Wed, and Thurs....

sounds fine to me...and breaks down to what like $25-$30 per night with taxes etc...That aint bad...

I'll be paying $40 per night for a two bed cabin in Suches...Anyone wanna meet up over there? I have an extra bed for now...maybe not by the time I get there..lol...so let me know quick!!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

And there's beer on tap!! woot...I like wet county's///lol
Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator
World Champion

I'm going to call Punkin now and reserve only one room. We can reserve another if needed if they are still available. Oh, and tax is included in the price at Punkin.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Punkin 3-man has been reserved for 8th through the 13th. Checking on on the morning of the 13th. Don't need money now. We'll get it worked out when we get there.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Dates for me....8th-12 4 nights...I am staying in Suches for two nights Wed, and Thurs....

sounds fine to me...and breaks down to what like $25-$30 per night with taxes etc...That aint bad...

I'll be paying $40 per night for a two bed cabin in Suches...Anyone wanna meet up over there? I have an extra bed for now...maybe not by the time I get there..lol...so let me know quick!!
I plan on taking that Thurs and Fri off work. I wouldn't mind doing some riding in North Ga., it's been awhile since I've been down in that area.

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Punkin 3-man has been reserved for 8th through the 13th. Checking on on the morning of the 13th. Don't need money now. We'll get it worked out when we get there.

If you want a decent place to eat at good price go to 129 Pit Stop. They have some really good food, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc... It also intersects with HWY 72 which is the direction I come from. I can meet you guys at pit stop or if you're feeling really itchy, I can meet at the overlook or CROT.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I plan on taking that Thurs and Fri off work. I wouldn't mind doing some riding in North Ga., it's been awhile since I've been down in that area.
I am meeting them on Wed afternoon, then whatever ride they have planned for Thurs you are more than welcome to join up with us...I don't know these guys, well just one, my best friend growing up and his wife...but the rest I am sure are a good group if he is riding with them...
then heading over to the Gap sometime Fri...not sure yet if the whole group is going on Fri, but I am...

Are you in between there? ie, we can meet up sometime on Fri and head over...??
Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I'm going to call Punkin now and reserve only one room. We can reserve another if needed if they are still available. Oh, and tax is included in the price at Punkin.
Good deal...that's only $117 pp for 5 nights worth of lodging, which breaks down to $23.40 per night...That's fantastic...

Throw in a jar of peanut butter, and a sleeve of crackers and I am set for the week...LOL Not!! Thanks God for beer n hotdogs....

What time of the day on Fri are you guys planning on arriving?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
SuperBike

I'm guessing between 5 & 6 on Friday... maybe even later... 550 miles...and I ain't slabbin'.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
I'm guessing between 5 & 6 on Friday... maybe even later... 550 miles...and I ain't slabbin'.
Damn, the most I have done in a day was 300 maybe 10 miles of flat trackin...
I guess we know who the newbe is...LOL
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Superstock

I have no comment on how far I have to ride
Old 04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Superstock

I am meeting them on Wed afternoon, then whatever ride they have planned for Thurs you are more than welcome to join up with us...I don't know these guys, well just one, my best friend growing up and his wife...but the rest I am sure are a good group if he is riding with them...
then heading over to the Gap sometime Fri...not sure yet if the whole group is going on Fri, but I am...

Are you in between there? ie, we can meet up sometime on Fri and head over...??
I really don't have any set plans for Thursday, I'll play it by ear and keep you posted as the time gets closer
Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator
World Champion

What time of the day on Fri are you guys planning on arriving?
I've got about a 1000 mile drive. It's going to take about 14-15 hours. If I leave at 0600 that puts me there at 2000 at the earliest. I'll be towing two bikes (1000RR backup bike). Can't decide if I want to take the Trailblazer or subject the Goat to the abuse of trailering. Hmmmm, probably take the TB.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I have no comment on how far I have to ride
From what most guys around here say, it should take about 4 hrs to get there from here...so for me, like 6..lol...nah, but I am not sure how long it will take to get to Suches, of course I am hitting Dawsonville GA, and Cartersville GA, on Wed as well before I meet up with the other troops....Man that is gonna be a Long week, and a lot O Miles racked up!!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

5 weeks and counting!!! well, 5 weeks and one day...
Old 05-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

In light of Brian A.'s post about the crashes up at DG recently, I would like everyone attending the Rally to read and heed this article:

http://www.pashnittours.com/thepace.html

In all the articles I've read in the last 20 years regarding riding style and technique this is still #1 on my list. I'll be printing off copies and bringing them with me to the Rally as well, just as a refresher.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Always a good read!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Indeed it is!
the Cherohala Skyway is tailor made for The Pace.

Sunday, before seeing the dad/son crash, I was stopped talking to a friend and made the comment -for the 100th time I think- "It is so scary to catch up to guys on sport bikes and for whatever reason they don't process the fact that they were just caught to mean "He's riding faster than I am", they process it to mean " I need to ride faster".

It is AMAZING how badly folks blow turns and manage not to crash, and then CONTINUE TO BLOW them!
How about just SLOW DOWN a little !

I have sort of developed a practice when catching slower riders of closing the gap at the earliest safe point in time, to let them know I'm there and would like safe passage. I then back off to a reasonably safe distance and wait for them to allow me a pass. Sad to say, many riders never wave around. For whatever reason, they just figure it is not their job to let a faster rider pass in a safe, courteous manner.

9 times out of 10 they could be passed "at will" but doing so is not always safe, courteous, and is likely to shake them up or distract them mentally.

Oh well, I'm getting on my soap box. Just strong feelings about things I guess.....

Thanks for the link again Greg. Great read!
IMO, the VAST majority of crashes at The Gap are due to too much speed, and too little talent (compounded by lack of knowledge of the road and the turns with 2 or even 3 apexs, decreasing radius turns, etc.)

Quoting the article, and words to LIVE by:

"........ No gravel in the lane, no oncoming car pushing him wide, no ice. The guy screwed up. Rider error. Too much enthusiasm with too little skill, and this fatality (insert "crash" in my case. BA) wasn't the first on this road this year. As with most single-bike accidents, the rider entered the corner at a speed his brain told him was too fast, stood the bike up and nailed the rear brake. Goodbye."
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

Just re-read The Pace. Thanks for bringing it up again. There's a lot of wisdom & fun in there.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Squid

pickle.of.doom
Crap... I will be there with both my superhawk and my 600rr From may 25th thru June 3rd... sounds like I will just miss the rest of you
Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Superstock

I'm taking next friday off and heading over for the afternoon. I haven't been all year so I'm kinda excited.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Superstock

Verne
Well I just got the last room at CROT, or at least that is what they told me, for the Friday and Saturday night on the meet. As long as nothing comes up I should be there.

Verne
Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great time guys. I really wish I could make it. My bike is taking MUCH longer than anticipated.
Have a great time everyone! Next year I'll be there.
Stay safe!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 AM
SuperBike

Nothing to be afraid of...

Quick Reply: SHOG rally Roll Call