General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SH easy to steal :/

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
Arrow SH easy to steal :/

I'll try to make this short. When I got off of work this morning from my trucking route I noticed that my keys were not clipped to my jeans. I had left them at a drop point about 18 miles away. After getting a little pissed I had to think of how to get there using my SH that I rode to work with no keys.

Luckily I don't have the key lock on the seat currently as the previous owner had removed it. So I pulled the release got my tools and crossed my fingers that removing the ignition switch would do the trick. After ten minutes, two bolts, and three screws I had access to a running bike again and got my keys back.

My question is have any of you done anything to prevent this from being this easy? I know bikes are easy to steal in the first place but this is just bad engineering.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I haven't done anything. Maybe some red loctite on the bolts and screws? That would at least **** them off for a while.

The plus side is that you are probably more likely to forget your keys than have the bike stolen, so it worked out for you this time.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
A nice S&W sticker might help.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Any bike is about that easy to steal. Some new ones have immobilizers like cars do, but even then, a pickup truck will solve that issue.

The only real solution is being careful of where you leave it parked.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
A nice S&W sticker might help.
+1
Agreed.

I've got an "Insured by H&K" sticker on there.

Hooray for open carrying.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
I think it did have locktight on it when I removed it. There was some yellow stuff on the main bolts. Thanks anyway guys. I'll be adding my Glock sticker this weekend
Old 05-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
yes there are ways to help, but like it has been said, a crook with a truck or van and any bike is gone.

Ignition kill switch/cut out is an easy deturant. One on mine. Did it myself the week I bought it, was in SoCal at the time.

Fish
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
the best anti theft for this bike is the year/make/model lol
Old 05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I know of shattered pick-up truck windows because the thief thought he could steal the proclaimed on the back window firearm. Hell, the Police Chief, Val Demmings, of Orlando Florida had her service weapon stolen out of her city vehicle when it was parked outside of her residence.

Just do the PITA dance with the fork lock and a disc lock when you park the bike. Your insurance company likes that better than confronting a bad guy with your gun.

FWIW I left the key in the ignition of my (several) BMW air heads for decades and never had one stolen, or even looked at. The people who appreciate those bikes aren't thieves and a thief didn't think there was a market for it or it's parts.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
I know of shattered pick-up truck windows because the thief thought he could steal the proclaimed on the back window firearm. Hell, the Police Chief, Val Demmings, of Orlando Florida had her service weapon stolen out of her city vehicle when it was parked outside of her residence.

Just do the PITA dance with the fork lock and a disc lock when you park the bike. Your insurance company likes that better than confronting a bad guy with your gun.

FWIW I left the key in the ignition of my (several) BMW air heads for decades and never had one stolen, or even looked at. The people who appreciate those bikes aren't thieves and a thief didn't think there was a market for it or it's parts.
I guess that's the best part of living in alaska. First of all, rarely do people steal vehicles, and secondly, You can Open carry a firearm into about 99% of anywhere. Mine's always on my hip.
"A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your glovebox."
In my case, I just carry the .45 though.
Ha.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Best anti-theft device, a hideous paintjob

Name:  P5101110.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  96.4 KB
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Best anti-theft device, a hideous paintjob
Unique?....... One of a kind?.......... Off the less beaten trail?...........

Naw, just hideous!

The mustache is awesome though!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by AK Ronin
+1
Agreed.

I've got an "Insured by H&K" sticker on there.

Hooray for open carrying.
S&W, H&K.. yeah. i like those, but i don't think that would deter a determined thief. if they figure you might be in the area, they are gonna walk away regardless. one thing that is cool, so far. i've never had anyone so much as touch any of my bikes on the street. luck? partly. i've gotten so used to people not screwing with them that i keep my tank bag (straps, not magnetic) on one bike all the time. hell. when i first got my baby hawk back in the early nineties, i used to put a fork lock on it. now, that made for some really fun unexpected dismounts. i bet if i lived in CA, where motorcycles are a bit less of a novelty, i'd need to be much more careful, though.

--fred