General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SH Down...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
SH Down...

I was on my way to work this morning, within a mile of my house; I came around a corner, and to my surprise there was a lady pulling a 3pt turn in the middle of the road! I stood the bike up and got on the brakes hard. I had
the rear tire off the back of the ground for a 2nd, and I got on the rear brakes too. I had a spot where I was going to try and go around her, but she closed that off quickly. The rear got loose and went out, and I went down just as I was exiting the road. I took out a temporary mailbox, and slid down into the ditch on my ***.

The bike has mostly minor damage that I could tell. The shift lever broke, and clutch lever is bent it felt like. My Lockhart Phillips flush mount broke off,
but the LED signal is still attached. My mid-pipe for my Jardines took some
beating, and the bracket (exhaust) and stock rear footpeg bracket bent. I rode the bike home in 1st gear, it ran fine, and it seemed ok.

After I went down, the lady quickly jumped out of the car, and yelled at me like it was my fault. She said, "You damn motorcyclists think you own the roads; always going too fast..." I was getting my helmet off, and she jumped in her Caddilac, and took off. Never asked if I was ok! There was a neighbor that seen the whole thing and she came down to make sure I was ok. She thinks she got the right license plated number, and I know the make, model, and color of the car.

I will take some pics of the bike when I feel up to it; its not the greatest feeling when you crash something that you love so much. Should be back to new in a few weeks..
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
what is it with people these days, even if she thought it was your fault she should have stayed to see if you where all right, see if you wanted to have the police come ect, maybe an ambulance as some injuries take a minute or two to surface. If there was no contact, what do they call it just "leaving the scene"? Hopefully you can get her back on the road soon. Sorry to hear it.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
glad you are OK. just to emphasize to us all, this is one of those avoidable ones. Just don't ride beyond your line of sight. even on curves, just keep the vanishing point (where the road/curve disappears from your vision) within your ability to stop. Hard to sometimes stay within that but these kinds of accidents are really common and at highway speeds can be very serious. Again, glad you are OK and certainly not criticizing your riding, but hopefully we can all get a reminder from it. Slow down on non-track riding.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cliby
glad you are OK. just to emphasize to us all, this is one of those avoidable ones. Just don't ride beyond your line of sight. even on curves, just keep the vanishing point (where the road/curve disappears from your vision) within your ability to stop. Hard to sometimes stay within that but these kinds of accidents are really common and at highway speeds can be very serious. Again, glad you are OK and certainly not criticizing your riding, but hopefully we can all get a reminder from it. Slow down on non-track riding.
Good reminder Bill; just to let everyone know, I was doing the speed limit (55mph); the lady in the car was at most 50-70yds away once I came around the curve.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
makes me want to run a couger off the road in scottsdale today ,in a cadillac

i hate hearing about ignorant women on the road....you should have thrown a handfull of rocks at her face
Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
just to emphasize to us all, this is one of those avoidable ones. Just don't ride beyond your line of sight. even on curves, just keep the vanishing point (where the road/curve disappears from your vision) within your ability to stop.

Frankly, I can't see that as a practical possibility. The Illegal (U, 3 pt) Turn is what took Trevitt out; It's not our responsibilty to stop riding, it's just our responsibility to hire the concrete mixer to take out the cager who's doing the illegal turn (failure to yield, crossing double line, etc.) Makes as much practical sense to me...and I'd of gotten a trip to jail for a cougar beat down if they try to leave on my ***...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
Frankly, I can't see that as a practical possibility. The Illegal (U, 3 pt) Turn is what took Trevitt out; It's not our responsibilty to stop riding, it's just our responsibility to hire the concrete mixer to take out the cager who's doing the illegal turn (failure to yield, crossing double line, etc.) Makes as much practical sense to me...and I'd of gotten a trip to jail for a cougar beat down if they try to leave on my ***...
its a long list of stupid things I see other drivers doing all day long. I gave up controlling them. I can control (usually) myself. if you routinely ride beyond what distance you can stop in on the streets, that is your decision, but not a very wise one IMO.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
The roads I like to ride on for pleasure almost all have posted speed limits that would be difficult to ALWAYS ride such that the unexpected dipshit cager maneuver just out of sight could ALWAYS be stopped in time, even on my bike; much less in the avg. cage or concrete mixer. I'd rather just sell the bike.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
It's avoidable, but not his fault...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

MAYBE aviodable, non of us were there.. Regardless.. Arrogant divorced couger cagers pulling illegal street tricks, and tailgating need to open thier makeup filled eye lids. There are so many of those here in phoenix.The Sha Sha gabor type thinking men owe them everything..

Wheres Tom Leykis when you need him. Bring Tom back.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Did you file a police report?
I would search and track until I located the bitch and then any number of things could transpire.
Find her and turn her over to the cops if a police report was filed, since she left the scene of an accident.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

yes man

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
I would search and track until I located the bitch and then any number of things could transpire.
Find her and turn her over to the cops if a police report was filed, since she left the scene of an accident.

yes man yes man yes!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Never Go Full Retard!
Squid

smittyvtf1 is on a distinguished road
Glad ur okay! i don't know what goes on in some peoples mind but an older man almost took me out today! I was on my way home, just turned onto my street (10 mph at most) and this guy tried to pass me (to the RIGHT SIDE)when i was pulling into my drive way! He could'nt of been but 2-5 feet away from my right leg! And again he yelled at me like it was my fault. Simply Stupidity
Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
Not yet, but I will be! It happened in front a policeman's house, and his wife was a witness to it. So, he is going to help me track down the person..
Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smittyvtf1
Glad ur okay! i don't know what goes on in some peoples mind but an older man almost took me out today! I was on my way home, just turned onto my street (10 mph at most) and this guy tried to pass me (to the RIGHT SIDE)when i was pulling into my drive way! He could'nt of been but 2-5 feet away from my right leg! And again he yelled at me like it was my fault. Simply Stupidity
In those situations I have one firm rule... If there is contact or not, when they shout at me... Either they shut up and tell me to my face that they did something wrong and appologize... Or I tell them to hand over the car keys and wait for the police... The simple reason behind it being that they might dislike it and they might have a different opinion on the situation... But they will remember the conversation...

BTW... Glad you are OK... The bike is mendable...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Glad you are OK, I hope you can catch the dumb a$$ and make her pay for everything.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lynchie
makes me want to run a couger off the road in scottsdale today ,in a cadillac

i hate hearing about ignorant women on the road....you should have thrown a handfull of rocks at her face
or BULLETS! am I scaring anybody yet? well too bad. *** that bitch sideways with a chainsaw! hope you find her and I hope she loses something that she values more than you value your bike. few things make me madder than this. I believe God has deliberately spared me from situations like this because if it ever happens, they are going to the hospital, and I'm going to jail. garanteed. hope you're not down for long. man! I'm pissed now.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Squid

Cursio is on a distinguished road
So sad to hear, man, the bike seems salvageable, but I just cannot understand the cager who drove from the scene... Hope your able to track her down, and that she gets what's coming for her!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you're alright bro, hopefully you have all the info you need to catch her leaving the scene.. The bike damage sounds easily fixed, and I'm sure you'll be riding shortly.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

superbikemike
Some of the advice You're getting is easy to dish out sitting in front of the computer but I'm not doing that. Glad you are OK and it's very hard to think straight after you've slid down the road with your beloved SH I'm sure.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Some of you have some real problems with women I see.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
First off, glad to hear you're OK - in the big picture that's the most important thing. I'm sure there are plenty of listers who would be happy to help you get the bike back in shape if you need them to; we can't help with injuries though!

Second...

Originally Posted by MLB
It's not women, it's drivers who do dumb things without regard to other road users. Whether it's making a 3-point turn on a road with a 55 mph limit, or rolling through a stop sign, or recklessly weaving through traffic on a highway, it's bad driving and potentially dangerous.

When I first started riding on the street, about 15 years ago, I remember someone telling me to watch out for minivans in particular, as their contents so often included children that could be distracting the driver. Nowadays it's more a problem with SUVs, but the principle is the same, it doesn't matter if it's Mom or Dad driving.

If I see a woman driving while talking on her cell while drifting back and forth in her lane, or making sudden turns without signaling, I'm going to be extra cautious around her - that doesn't makes me misogynist.

Bottom line is, you can never let your guard down. I always assume every cager is out to kill me - I find it helps keep me sharp.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Back Marker

Well said Dave! I hope I don't have a hard time finding parts, I am going to need a Left side Rear Passenger bracket. I am going to buy a new left upper fairing, because its cracked under the headlight, and at the mirror. I emailed Jardine to get a cost of a new mid-pipe, and some spacers for their exhaust mount bracket. The left side crankcase cover is all scratched, and I would love to find one that didn't cost $240..

Originally Posted by Dave in NY
First off, glad to hear you're OK - in the big picture that's the most important thing. I'm sure there are plenty of listers who would be happy to help you get the bike back in shape if you need them to; we can't help with injuries though!

Second...

It's not women, it's drivers who do dumb things without regard to other road users. Whether it's making a 3-point turn on a road with a 55 mph limit, or rolling through a stop sign, or recklessly weaving through traffic on a highway, it's bad driving and potentially dangerous.

When I first started riding on the street, about 15 years ago, I remember someone telling me to watch out for minivans in particular, as their contents so often included children that could be distracting the driver. Nowadays it's more a problem with SUVs, but the principle is the same, it doesn't matter if it's Mom or Dad driving.

If I see a woman driving while talking on her cell while drifting back and forth in her lane, or making sudden turns without signaling, I'm going to be extra cautious around her - that doesn't makes me misogynist.

Bottom line is, you can never let your guard down. I always assume every cager is out to kill me - I find it helps keep me sharp.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98ILVTR
there was a lady pulling a 3pt turn in the middle of the road! I stood the bike up and got on the brakes hard.
I had a spot where I was going to try and go around her, but she closed that off quickly.

After I went down, the lady quickly jumped out of the car, and yelled at me like it was my fault. She said, "You damn motorcyclists think you own the roads; always going too fast..." I was getting my helmet off, and she jumped in her Caddilac, and took off. Never asked if I was ok!
Man, that sounds familiar. I wasn't on my 'Hawk, but on a previous bike.
I had a woman pull across my carriageway in the rain, and stop, (her exit from the junction was blocked), I had steel railings on the left hand side, and traffic to my right (this is in UK), so no exit route. I got on the brakes hard, and the front went down. I ended up in front of my bike, and under the front of her car.

I got up, and asked for her insurance details, she said 'why ? you hit me'

I said, "Well, you didn't give me much f%^&ing choice !"

So she drove off, leaving me no details, a broken collarbone and a broken bike.

Paul.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MLB
Yes.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I hope you can nail her for leaving the scene, since you have a witness. I believe that's a felony in California if there is injury or property damage.

A similar thing happened on Ortega Highway 2 weeks ago just 10 minutes before my wife and I came along....a guy pulled over with car problems and some idiot stopped in the middle of the road to ask if he needed help. A motorcycle came around the blind right hander and POW. Fortunately, like with you, the rider was okay. Speed limit there is 55 as well. Too many people are just plain stupid.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 07-25-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:41 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
glad you're ok. too bad your gonna be out $. hopefully you'll naile her ***.

the thoughtless things people do behind the wheel never cease to amaze and enrage me. why do people stop just beyond the creast of a blind hill or around a blind turn?

when they turn right from a stop sign, why do they take the left(passing) lane where i am instead of the free and clear curb lane??? why don't the gun it when they pull out in front of me?

why do people drive 10 under the speed limit in the passing lane?

why do people stop on a busy street to check their map(gps) when there is a parking lot right there?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MLB
Women drivers I think. Problem is, a significant percentage of male cagers drive like women drivers. I think it is wise advise to 1) have a way out and 2) drive like you always have to stop.

Not that I advocate driving a Superhawk like you're always in a parade. She's hardly built for that. Attgatt is the best you can do.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
I'd rather just sell the bike.
Nope, I'd rather die in the road laughing that it took this long.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:00 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dave in NY

It's not women, it's drivers who do dumb things without regard to other road users.

I suggest you go back and re=read then, as quite obviously you missed what they wrote.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SH Down...