General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Seat Mod/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Squid

IAGeezer is on a distinguished road
Seat Mod/Upgrade

Anyone have any experience with this outfit? The stock seat isn't too bad for me (200-600 mile days), but I could use a bit more comfort. Sargeant is the best, I realize, but I've seen some small-guy solutions that have been exceptional. Anyways, any experience or feedback on this? Thanks.

FAQ
Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by IAGeezer
Sargeant is the best,

FAQ
Well i beg to differ, i have three Corbin seats (yeah i know they are pricey, but you get what you pay for) and the one on my superhawk is going on 12 years now with no signs of wear or change since i got it. I have ridden several 500 mile days on it and surely would have not made that mileage in a day and then the next if it were not for the seat.

I also have a re-worked Sargent seat on my KTM and tho a great seat it doesn't even compare to the comfort level of the corbin. Different bike for sure, but just my observation. One thing is for sure just about any aftermarket seat will be better than the stock ball breaker seat on the VTR.

My Corbin lowered my seat height a bit without sacrificing comfort. Name:  DSCF0040.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  115.9 KB

Make sure they use the high density foam in the seat area if you go the route you mentioned.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-16-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Squid

Thanks for your reply Thumper, it gives me more experience to draw upon. I'm planning on Russell or Rick Mayer for my FJR, and looking into lower-cost alternatives for the 'Hawk, since I tend to ride the other more often, and 2-up, that's where the money goes first. But, man I just love riding this thing! The 'Hawk is one of the best "Unknown" bikes out there!

BTW - nice bike!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IAGeezer
Anyone have any experience with this outfit? The stock seat isn't too bad for me (200-600 mile days), but I could use a bit more comfort. Sargeant is the best, I realize, but I've seen some small-guy solutions that have been exceptional. Anyways, any experience or feedback on this? Thanks.

FAQ
His prices certainly look reasonable. For what it's worth, I got a nice used Sargent about a month ago. I guess I'd say the jury's still out: while it's a definite improvement over stock, I was hoping it would do a better job of preventing me from sliding toward the tank and taking a bit of weight off my wrists, especially under braking. What actually helps here as much as anything is a tank bag that my upper torso rests against.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Every butt is different, I tried a Corbin for a while, and then got a Sargent, I had both and ended up keeping the Sargent and selling the Corbin.

But I know other people prefer the Corbin.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Squid

ProfChaos is on a distinguished road
I prefer the Sargent seat: the Corbin seat looks pretty nifty and offers the same basic ride height as the Sargent seat does; however, Corbin seats almost always split at the fancy, ornate stitching. (This pissed me way off when it happened, because I called Corbin, and they told me that they do not guarantee the stitching, AND the only way to fix the split stitching is to ship Corbin the entire seat to be re-covered--AT FULL COST!) Sargent seats have no fancy stitching to split (and thus draw water into the seat foam), and Sargent seats are more affordable, anyway.

Screw Corbin--right in the ear, with a tiny little drill bit!

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

Last edited by ProfChaos; 08-17-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Squid

Thanks all for the input. I don't get home until November, so I'm researching before I commit. If I go with the Spencer seat mod, I'll post up and give a (brief, mid-winter) review.

Just got the Krieger CCTs, and Projector retrofit for winter fun. Next - A123 Battery? Youse guys are makin' my wife nuts! Yeah, it's all your fault! Heh heh heh......
Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
I had my stock seat redone by Mean City Cycles, Maiden, NC. They can shape and add memory foam and/or gel to fit you. check their website for prices and scheduling. Very happy with my seat, I ride 400 to 600 miles a day on weekends.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Sanely riding since 1975!
Squid

Travelinguy1960 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ProfChaos
I prefer the Sargent seat: the Corbin seat looks pretty nifty and offers the same basic ride height as the Sargent seat does; however, Corbin seats almost always split at the fancy, ornate stitching. (This pissed me way off when it happened, because I called Corbin, and they told me that they do not guarantee the stitching, AND the only way to fix the split stitching is to ship Corbin the entire seat to be re-covered--AT FULL COST!) Sargent seats have no fancy stitching to split (and thus draw water into the seat foam), and Sargent seats are more affordable, anyway.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
-------------------------------------------
Really?
Pretty opinionated for a nube.
From sprockets to "flat spots or camelback" or whatever stupid name you called it.
( I call BS as my 1998 has NO SUCH THING!).

Now seats??

I have a Corbin gunfighter with the backrest for my daughter, so she can ride freeway wheelies with me "safely".
Love it for my Superhawk.

Rains here in Seattle daily!
Have had 10 other Corbins and 3 Sargents in 30 years.
great customer service as well.

Wish you would read a little here before spewing crap.

Carry On,
Gunny
Attached Thumbnails Seat Mod/Upgrade-jdr2.jpg  
Old 11-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Squid

Tyrant29 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ProfChaos

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
I'm trying out this company in France that makes custom seats for the super chicken so I'm doing a high and long setup with jell pad because if I did the high and short my nuts would be hitting the tank all the time and I really want to change position some of the times. LoL 😆