General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Screw in tire...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Back Marker

Blurr is on a distinguished road
Screw in tire...

Ok so I just noticed I have a screw in my brand new tires....Front tire to be exact....there is a fairly large screw right in the middle of my front tire all the way in and nice and ground down.....the tire isnt loosing pressure or anything from what I can see but my question is can it be repaired or do I need to get a new tire even though this ones only a few 100kms old.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:54 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
new tire. it can be plugged but I'm not a fan of doing that at all... lots of shops won't plug it either do to insurance reasons
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Squid

JusWes is on a distinguished road
Honestly, i wouldnt risk my life on a Plug. I would just buck up and buy a brand new tire. I have had to do it twice on previous bikes.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah that was my opinion too. it sucks but not worth it to me. I've seen some small plugs put in rear tires before. but screws just mangle things
Old 09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Back Marker

Yeah its like a decent size screw right in there and it seems fine no problems or leaking right so but you can see the screw is right down ground down and its right in the middle so Ill see what a shop says or get a new one
Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Squid

JusWes is on a distinguished road
Well with it being the front tire i would replace it.
Rear blows it can be bad, but controllable
Front blows? I do believe your screwed
Old 09-19-2006, 08:30 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
The first thing you need to do is find out if it punctured the tire or not. It could just be in the rubber and not leaking, get some soapy water and let it run on the screw and see if it makes a bubble. If not wiggle it around a little to make sure the screw isn't holding the air. If you still don't see a bubble pull it out,(unscrew it so you don't do more damage). Test it again if still no bubble then you're fine. If you decide to take a chance on repairing it don't settle for anything less than a patch/plug they'll have to take the tire off to do it but it's safer than either one by itself. If not and you don't have the money to buy a new tire let me know I have some track day take offs I'll sell you CHEAP.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
The same thing has happened to me twice this summer - but rear tire. The first time I replaced the tire as it was already 3/4 worn. And currently I've been riding with the little metal spike in my tire but I'll probably get a patch/plug to see me through this season. I read on a sport-touring site that it's as good as new that way. On the front, I'd probably get a new tire - too f'n scary to think about and would ruin my confidence. Anyone know if a slightly harder compound would help? Like a Diablo Strada or something?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Plugs are not safe. A proper inside patch is perfectly safe. Have it done and don't give it another thought.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jschmidt
Plugs are not safe. A proper inside patch is perfectly safe. Have it done and don't give it another thought.
What I was refering to was a plugpatch, it is a combo that has a rubber plug that goes into the hole from the inside AND a ptch that seals to the inside of the tire. Sort of a best of both worlds type product that work really well. IMO
Old 09-19-2006, 01:49 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it sucks to get so little use out of a new tire.

Doubtful any MC dealer would do a patch-plug for you, because they want the tire sale (yes, i'm cynical). I do my own. But I've never had occaision to do one on the front, but it is more problematic as far as the patch holding because the inside of the front is narrow, with a smaller radius curvature.

Upshot: get a new tire.

Advice: I try to avoid going thru gravel patches & pulling off on the side of the road where there is a tendency for debris to collect. Almost every puncture I've ever had has been after doing something like that. My 2 pence.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by superhawk22
What I was refering to was a plugpatch, it is a combo that has a rubber plug that goes into the hole from the inside AND a ptch that seals to the inside of the tire. Sort of a best of both worlds type product that work really well. IMO
Agreed. All patches are like that now. They're pretty much foolproof.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
MotoGP

Ah, I didn't know that I saw some of the regular flat ones but you want my take offs at the parts store but that might be old stock. You know you want them
Old 09-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Hey 22 you wouldn't happen to have anymore of those fine, impressive race take off's would you?? Man, I don't think I would ever buy new tires again, it's race take off's for me or nothing....

Did ya like that plug...no pun intended....
Old 09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jschmidt
Agreed. All patches are like that now. They're pretty much foolproof.
Until they're not - then you're fkt. Buy a new tire. If even new tires are not foolproof what is a patched tire?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Back Marker

Have a buddy offering a pilot race for the front....be ok mixing with my bt014 rear?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Squid

blackboyonhawk is on a distinguished road
buy a new tire. you think your saving money by patching it but what good is that if the tire fails and you end up paying a larger price.... your life.not wishing anything on you i just went down at 75- 80 mph and it hurt.when thinking about spending the money ask yourself is my life worth 180 dollars for a new tire or 10 dollars for a plug just my .02
Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Blurr
Have a buddy offering a pilot race for the front....be ok mixing with my bt014 rear?
What kind is it? I usually don't recomend race tires for the street but it depends on the model some are different than others. Most race tires take a little longer to heat and they usually don't have as many heat cycles, find out what the exact model is.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
What kind is it? I usually don't recomend race tires for the street but it depends on the model some are different than others. Most race tires take a little longer to heat and they usually don't have as many heat cycles, find out what the exact model is.
i did an autozone plug on the rear on an old set of tires. no problems. but its not the first time ive done that...never on the front though.