General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sargent or Corbin

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Back Marker

Shmittay
Sargent or Corbin

Sooo Im very indecisive when it comes to something this expensive. I cant decide which seat to go with. I was originally gonna get the Corbin Smuggler but I just cant justify the $600 that goes with it. So here it is. help a superhawker out

Maybe post some reason why you like the one you picked.
And before anyone asks, I dont know anyone with either seat on a Hawk. My friend has the Smuggler and I liked it, but again, cant justify the cash.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Sargent or Corbin

I've had both saddles on various bikes over the years: 3 corbins and 1 sargent. The corbins came on used bikes including my current superhawk and they are good but when it came to buying one I went with the sargent without a second thought.

I've seen new ones on ebay for around $265 ish.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

I must confess I have never tried a Corbin but I really like my Sargeant seat. The passenger section is much more comfortable too (or so I am told :wink: ).
Old 04-12-2005, 03:16 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Corbin is not a brand that deserves your dollar. They routinely have production and fitment problems and they have some of the worst customer service in the industry.

They've survived on lack of competition.

Buy the Sargent.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
I like my Sargent seat.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:51 AM
Back Marker

Shmittay
dang, I see. Looks like it will be the Sargent.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:43 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like your going the way of the Sargent already which is probably a good thing... I have a Corbin and wouldn't purchase another untill I tried a Sargent. The Corbin is still a bit hard/stiff, BUT is much better than stocker admittedly. Overall it doesn't fit that great (it's a little loose) I can rattle it side to side in the front where it meets the tank, and the passenger seat cowl doesn't fit over it correctly because the leather touches the underside of the cowl unevenly just enough to cause a wider gap on one side than the other.

There's my story... let us know how the Sargent goes...

J.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:01 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoa, those are nasty stories.

I have a sargent and its firmer than the stock seat. Quality is top notch, fit is tight, almost too tight.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

Yesterday I spent about 9 hours on my bike, going for a 250 mile long group ride through local twisties. (About 120 miles was on hwy getting to and from the starting point.)

The stock seat on 120 mile long rides before used to cause me a sore butt.

The Sargent seat saved my *** yesterday, literally.

Buy it.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]I have a Corbin and wouldn't purchase another untill I tried a Sargent. The Corbin is still a bit hard/stiff, BUT is much better than stocker admittedly. Overall it doesn't fit that great (it's a little loose) I can rattle it side to side in the front where it meets the tank, and the passenger seat cowl doesn't fit over it correctly because the leather touches the underside of the cowl unevenly just enough to cause a wider gap on one side than the other.
[quote]

Mine may be a rarity when it comes to Corbin, I special ordered mine, because i despise all of the fake carbon fibr crap and i didn't want a fake looking carbon fiber weave seat. I went with the pleated leather pattern and it looks awesome and rides better than it looks.

I know a lot of guys have had **** poor service from Corbin, but as an owner of two seats from Corbin i guess i am the lucky small percentage. My 82 CB750F seat is right at 22 years old from the early days of corbin and it is in great shape

mine SuperChicken seat fits tight, I did trim the rear cowl to fit the rear seat portion perfectly like oem seat with the rubber peice in place. I could car less about the seat rest hole as the cowl never comes off anyway. If i decide to go for a two up ride i just stick the stock seat back on.

As far as the stock seat/lock mechanism on the Superhawk's bikes i have seen SUCKS anyway. I had to adjust (rubber hammer) the two metal posts on my bike and 3 others superhawks to get the stock seats to go on and off trouble free. My Corbin fits as good or better that the OEM.

my two cent worth
Old 04-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Back Marker

Shmittay

Well I pick up my bike tomorrow from its service and I plan on ordering the seat then as well. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision by then. So far I think I will be going with Sargent. Glad to see that there was at least one person that didnt have a problem with Corbin though.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren

Didn't notice this point mentioned, but the Corbin i have is MUCH heavier than the stocker. The Corbin uses a thick fiberglass base as compared to the plastic oem unit. Adding weight to the portly chicken is not on my list, but the comfort factor wins out for extended rides. I picked up my Corbin on e-bay cheap, along with the backrest, so it was a matter of right price, right time when I purchased. Fitment was an issue with mine too. I had to add little rubber bumpers on the top of my subframe so the seat didn't push down and stress the underseat area cowling. Also, i'll have to trim my rear seat cowl if I wanted it on there since it won't slide forward enough to mount correctly.

Yeah, if I was buying new I'd go sargent.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

Pic of my Corbin

Name:  DSCF0040.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 07-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
whats the point of the pattern on the top of the Corbin seat? and does it fit perfectly in your opinion...no major problems? is leather standard? red piping opional?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Back Marker

Shmittay
I forgot I made this thread haha. Ended up getting a barely used Sargent seat on ebay for like $100. Best purchase Ive made for this thing thus far.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've had both on my bike and the Sargent is much lighter, fits perfect like the stocker, and I feel is more durable too. The Corbin fits like $hit (I cut down the rubber bumpers underneath and now the seat cowl doesn't stick up in the air), it squeaks, and it weighs a ton. In my opinion the Corbin does look pretty cool though. I also find the grip on the Sargent much better too.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
Really like the Sargent ( have not tried the Corbin). Side note- recently got the Spiegler LSL handlebar conversion kit and the upright posture does not jive well with either the stock seat or the Sargent, for me. The slight forward tilt in those saddles tends to squash the family jewels into the tank when seated upright ... so, I scalloped about and inch or so out of the stock seat foam making it flatter and firmer but not bad though. Feels more like a RC 51 saddle now.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Come to think if it, I wouldn't buy a Corbin product with your money!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 PM
cmw
Squid

cmw is on a distinguished road
it seems like this thread is almost worn out but i'll put my @.02 in...

i had a corbin seat on my nt650 and loved it. the best part was i rode to the factory (in hollister, ca) and they made the seat for me. we started with a stock form and added a little foam here... removed a little foam there, and presto! a seat custom built for my ample behind. they also let me add some custom stitching, delete the red piping and they even bought me lunch at their in-house cafe.

when was the last time you actually met with and spoke to the person that was making a part for your bike? when the time comes i'll make an appointment for the SH.

mail order might be a completely different animal but i, for one, will put in a good word for corbin.

cmw
Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Well, just like Cmw said...worn out thread !!!

However, I'll give you my opinion. I bought my Corbin on ebay from PartsMonster for about 239$. Great service, no problem with seller. The seat is great, no regrets at all. I use to ride for an hour an have a sore butt.... but now, I can ride much longer. Not only that, the angle of the seat is much different. With the stock one you kinda slide towards the tank. Not that proble with the Corbin. Much better with passenger since I don't hurt my "boys" anymore when I brake.
I also purchased the back rest for my girlfriend, she is much more confortable now and has a much better vison.

I like my Corbin.
My 2cents
Old 07-14-2006, 10:20 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I like my Corbin... I also had one for my '92 Nighthawk 750 and that was a big improvement over stock as well. The fit is decent on my SH and I have not had any problem with the seat cowl cover fitting properly.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:34 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I liked mine too, until I just sold it to 996 It served me well fo over 4 years and if not for all the track days I do would've kept it forever.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
This thread asked me to wear it out some more, and I oblige...

I understand the Sargent could be better for those who sit back in the seat. Does anyone with a Sargent have any problems with keeping your weight to the front or wherever you want it? I'm 6'0 but I still kinda sit right up (3-4" away) on the tank (with a squeeze of the knees to protect the jewels). I thought this would incline me toward getting a Corbin, but I like the idea of sticking it to a company with terrible customer service.

Would I be just as happy with a Sargent as with a Corbin given my posture on the bike?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not 100% sure but I think it's more of an issue for us shorties.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Squid

V6Bob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cmw
it seems like this thread is almost worn out but i'll put my @.02 in...

i had a corbin seat on my nt650 and loved it. the best part was i rode to the factory (in hollister, ca) and they made the seat for me.

mail order might be a completely different animal but i, for one, will put in a good word for corbin.

cmw
I've heard from other people with the same experience. Getting one at the factory seems to make people much more likely to be happy about their Corbin. I would assume that when you get one at the factory, they make sure it fits properly.

I bought a Sargent. Great seat.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Why it is always just Corbin and Sergeant? There is other options...
Such as
http://www.saddlemen.com/stealth_seats.html

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/

etc. etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Squid

V6Bob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bluesman
Why it is always just Corbin and Sergeant? There is other options...
Such as
http://www.saddlemen.com/stealth_seats.html

http://www.billmayersaddles.com/

etc. etc.
Why? Because they are the established off the shelf saddles, relatively inexpensive, with plenty of customer feedback available.

I agree a custom like Bill Mayer would be the best. I have a Russell on my BMW K75RT, because seating comfort for my passenger was a big deal. But it's more trouble and expense than most people want. I looked at Rick Mayer (brother, separate business) before I bought my Sargent, and decided that it was too much for me this time around.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Squid

pickle.of.doom
Yep, my *** says "thanks" everytime I sit on my Sargent