General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

San Diego Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Squid

keb57
San Diego Anyone?

I have been a member of this forum since I bought the SH in March. The SH is a replacement for my 2005 SV1000S, which unfortunately was totaled by a left turning Camry.

I was unhurt, even rode the bike home after the accident and police report, bent forks and all. The offending camry driver's insurance company gave me what I paid for the SV after calm, but forcefull negotiation. Don't know what it is when someone says thats the best they can, but it really stirs a challenge, as you will see.

Went back to the Suzi dealer for a replacement cause the SV is one helluva bike and I was hooked on V-twins after owning it for just 6 months. I came from an 01 Intercepter, that was, without question, the best bike I ever owned. The thing was magic on anything twisty. Its only problem was ground clearance and grunt, and it caught up with me one day as I always knew it would. For another forum.

As good as the VFR was, the SV1000S was really growing on me. With a properly sorted suspension the SV was fast and fun. A real sleeper. The 05 on is a lttle extra, with the lightened crankshaft mass transforming acceleration and handling. The reduced gyroscopic force is for real, and measurable (my neighbor has an 03). Great bike. Easy decision. Go to dealer. Get another one.

Almost. The dealer also carries Honda (and a few others) and I see a brand new 03 Superhawk sitting in the back and ask for the details. 30 minutes later, a young salesman brings me a sheet of paper and proudly beams as he says "what a deal....$9800 out the door for a Honda, which is so much better than Suzuki". During the ensuing conversation, he mentions thats the best he can do. See first paragraph.

Good times. The first shot has been fired, the battles on, and war is declared. I'm almost 50, never paid over MSRP out the door, and I have bought so many new and used bikes, I would be way too embarassed to tell anyone the number. I have a list on the computer. Its long. Its embarassing.
Disposable income separates us from other animals. Life is good.

Anyway 2 weeks later, $7,057 is exchanged for one 2003 Honda Superhawk with full warranty, one shop manual, one year of HRCA membership, and war is over with no real casulties, other than the old check book. Could have done better with more time, but I have a deep seated sense of fair play and honestly, not much deep seated sense.

Saved a few bucks in the exchange, like enough for frame sliders, cruise control (NEP cheapy that works perfect), and a set of pilot roads (for travel) and Diablo Corsas (my personal street/track favorite). Some people like 2 helmets (I do), some 2 bikes (ah, yeah, you guessed it), I like 2 sets of tires which I have no trouble switching between.

As for the Superhawk, I like it. I average 1 to 1.5 thousand miles a month, so I get to know a bike quick. It is less sharp than the SV in most areas, but dropping the front end transformed the steering quickness, at zero loss of very good stability. I have read that it is not a good idea, but besides ground clearance issues, I say it is all good. The bike is solid up to a point and then it gets a little loose, but never dangerous.

It is so much more mellow and relaxed feeling than the SV. This is primarily because of the tall gearing (and slightly more low end) which lets it lope along without ever feeling stressed. Had a Blackbird for 2 years and the SH is pretty close to as relaxed feeing as it was. I like the laid back sport bike feel, cause I can chill getting to the twisties, assume attack mode and still enjoy, and then chill for the trip back.

The narrowness is fantastic. It has to be the slimmest liter bike in existence. Really adds to the aura and does it while haveing a solid, substantial feel as well. High marks to Honda for pulling it off. I do a lot of research, using the internet and the printed word, and sure, everyone mentions the slim feel of the bike, but I wasn't prepared for how great it really is.

For those of you old enough to remember, I would rate it as a gentlemans express, which is in no way a slam, but high praise for any bike, not just a sport tourer.

Notes from ownership, tires make a huge difference, throttle lock is awesome relief on longer trips (hell, any trip for that matter), and don't overfill the tank on a hot day.

Back to attack mode. It is often said that V-twins are easier to ride fast than fours and it is true. The hawk, in the right gear, hangs well with anything between 70 and 120. Got my worst ticket ever with the hawk, following an RC51. 138 in a 55. National forest during bikeweek this year of course. For the record, $285. Same price as if I was doing 85. BTW, I have indicated 157 a few times. Closed course of course. Moving on.

Anyway, I stayed in courteous denial cause I knew he (the cop) could not have a picture, due to me being right behing the RC. We were backing it down when he gunned us and I pulled over immediately when he gave chase. Took the class and didn't even get points. So much for the over 100, go to jail myth. Big difference between downtown Interstate and unpopulated national forest....probably has something to do with it. Stopping quick and being polite can't hurt either.

I digress.

The bike handles fine, whether its high speed sweepers (138 at least), or tight technical. The clutch, gearbox, and carburation are first rate. As a package, its a user friendly interface to sport riding that improves the rider at sane velocities.

After all that I have a lot more to say about the bike, but I'll wait till everyone wakes up. Sorry for the long post, but I feel bad that I have lurked so long and not even offered a hello. Solid group form what I read.

Anyone want a comparison to another bike, I probably owned it. Just kidding. Well........

Laytour
Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Wow. That is quite a write-up. Enjoyable reading. I, too, suffer from buying two of something. I call it the Noah's Ark complex.