General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Road America Vids

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Road America Vids

Everybody likes to share their cool videos, right? Here's what I got so far.

First time to Road America on Memorial Day. I brought my new GoPro with to get my first Sportbike footage. Still getting familiar with the camera, so angles and resolution settings may not be quite up to par yet.

I had some new goodies on the bike to try out. The quick shifter was working mostly as it should. There was a few times that the tranny slipped out of fifth and sixth gears. So after the second session I decided to quit using it until I get that situation figured out. Tranny works perfectly fine without it.

You will also notice in the first video that I have some shift lights installed. Those worked flawlessly early in the day. And they would be working in the vid, but after an earlier session my starter button suddenly stopped working. The button, solenoid, and starter all checked out. The hot wire out of the harness to the button was dead. Not sure yet what happened there. Anyway, the easiest fix was to rob the shift lights of the wire running to them from the ECU. It was just kinda just laid in next to the motor and frame so I pulled it out and used it to run a new hot wire to the button directly from the battery.

This is the fast group. On this particular day I was on the slower end the spectrum. I cant wait til Brainerd in July. I feel much more comfortable (faster) there.

Vids are shorted to fit into YouTube's ten minute time limit. They both start at the beginning of lap two.

Road America track day. 5-28-12 - YouTube

Road America track day 2 - YouTube

And here's my one little "oh ****" moment of the day. First lap. Cold tires maybe? Crud on the track? Idk.

Road America Turn 5 - YouTube
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
RA is a hoot!

Looks like you were doing a few 3:00 laps? That's a nice pace for your first time. I did that also my first time about 6 yrs ago. I think I'll be back in July with STT (with my SH) - for 'round two' !

T13...be sure you only maintain throttle and stay close to the apex...it's off camber and running wide might be 'bad" for your paint-job

T5 and that wiggle, were you maybe too hard on the brakes? I know you come in pretty fast for that corner.....?

What tires do you run? pressure?
If it was as hot up here as it was at Autobahn that weekend, you may have also had a tire that was running too hot and got greasy on you??

Last edited by Spoot; 05-30-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I'm running BT-003 RS's currently. Next set will be the R model. I was running 30 hot front and rear. Other than that one time they worked well for me. It was quite warm, but not terrible. Mid eighties, I think. But cloudy and breezy. I ran these tires at Brainerd in the 90's last year. They got a little greasy but always stayed predictable.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
T5 can be tricky, I visited the beach at 5, one time, years ago, got distracted, missed my mark, came in too fast, and ran wide right into the gravel. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, we used to watch the AMA guys back it into that turn, Duhamel, Roberts, Bostrom, Hayden, etc. would just throw their bikes sideways at the end of the straight, square it up, and then rocket up the hill. Exciting place to watch.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

the only other thing I could suggest/guess then, is a small drop of coolant or oil that caused it. If I recall, there are no bumps going into T5 to break traction like that.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Originally Posted by mboe794
Next set will be the R model.... They got a little greasy but always stayed predictable.
you mean the 'pro' ?

Just a little greasy and hard on the brakes.... = fall down or wiggle....?
I'm not sure how hard you brake, so it's hard to judge.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Damn, that was fun watchin'! You seemed to be running nice clean consistent laps, good job.