General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Removing seat/cowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Squid

RnD123
Removing seat/cowl

I've just bought a bike after a number of years without ad having enjoyed the power delivery (but not reliability) of my previous Ducati 900SL, I decided on the VTR Firestorm (as it is known here in the UK). Initial impressions are very favourable!
Anyway, my question (and I apologise if it has been asked before but I had a search through the forum and although I can seat a number of related topics....) - How do I remove the rear seat to get the cowl off? I know there is a lock below the rear light which releases the back of the seat but I just can't remove it entirely. Obviously my used VTR didn't come with manuals.
Thanks in advance if you can answer.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Re: Removing seat/cowl

When you turn the key, lift up a little bit at the end of the seat/cowl. From there, you can free your key-turning hand. Slightly lift up on the tail and pull the whole section backwards at about a 45 degree angle. It should slide backwards and up and out. It'll take a little bit of practice at first.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:48 AM
Squid

Steve

I'm a relatively new owner myself, had the same question, and marmaladeboy was able to help me out as well. As he pointed out at the time, the key (pun intended) is unlocking/disengaging the back end of the seat and lifting it up slightly. If you're careful, the seat will stay unlocked, which will free both hands to pull toward the rear of the cycle. Also, I've found that a little side-to-side "wiggle" pressure will help the seat "fingers" slide free of the frame mounted "shackles."
Old 02-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Squid

RnD123

Thanks guys - managed to get it after (quite) a few minutes, I'll just have to keep practising! Thanks again....