General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

RC51 vs SH

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Superstock

woodman
RC51 vs SH

Now that I have owned and ridden both bikes for awhile here are some of my opinions on them.

As a bike to be ridden every day in a variety of conditions the SH is better. I much prefer a carbureated bike to FI, the FI is lurchy and at slow speed it's hard to roll the throttle on smooth without the bike bucking and jumping forward. Yes I have lowered the gearing to help the slow speed response but it still is'nt smooth. This is'nt just the RC51 that does this, all the FI bikes I have owned are like that.
The SH has better low end and midrange roll on power. I don't know if it actually has more power but it is smoother and feels more responsive. Once above 6500 rpm the story changes, the RC51 takes over big time.
Comparing suspension and brakes the RC is way ahead. The handling is quite a bit different. The SH is much more forgiving and with the suspension work that alot of you guys here are doing you probably are'nt giving up much on the street. The RC demands precision and does'nt tolerate mistakes. Anything you do with the handlebars is instantly transfered to the tires and the bike reacts NOW! The SH turn better when on the brakes. The first time I had to trail brake on the RC I was'nt sure I was going to make the turn. It stood up and starting running wide, things got a litte tense. I'm hoping different tires will help this.
When it comes to exhaust note I prefer the sound of the SH. One of my riding buddies just put Jardine 2-1 full system on his RC and it does'nt sound as good as the SH with the Jardines. The RC has a higher pitch raspier sound, not the low rumble of the SH. I'm sure the RC will sound different with other systems but for now that is the only one I have to compare to.
The SH is more comfortable because of the higher bars, but I was surprised to see that the RC has more leg room. I think because the pegs are farther back my khees are'nt bent as sharp.
Thats my observations so far. Some I'm sure you probably already know.

Both are good bikes, just different
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Thanks for the info. It kinda confirmed what I had already suspected about RC51, but it's good to hear it from a SH rider.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Try a power commander for the FI issues it should smooth it out. Your dead on in power delivery though every trackday I've done there has been RC51's to compare with. I always get them with exit speed out of the corners just to be passed in the straights.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
I used to ride my buddies on occasion when I had my R6....only for little 3-5 mile stints, but my impressions were the same as yours when comparing my Hawk to the RC51.

I think the only reason I'de get the RC is for the looks. The difference in performance doesn't really deem it worthy enough for me to switch, although, I've here and there though "what about...". And don't let me get started on the insurance price difference, hahaha.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Superstock

woodman
Originally Posted by oicdn";p=&quot
. And don't let me get started on the insurance price difference, hahaha.
Get your insurance with State Farm and there is no difference in insurance, they are both 1000cc's.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Squid

rhu5
Re: RC51 vs SH

According to specs, both bikes are close in regards to weight (dry) but the RC just looks and feels so much bigger. Can you tell a significant difference between the two ( street, commuting, track, etc.)?

I've only had an opportunity to ride both bikes once and both rides were very short.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Superstock

woodman

Yes the RC does feel heavier even though the specs say it is only about 10 lbs. heavier. The extra weight feels like it is all up high too. I think part of the reason it looks and feels bigger is the full fairing makes it wider. It's also taller, this combined with the extra width makes it harder to reach the ground.
Around town, especially parking lot speeds, it's harder to maneauver. With the top heavy feel it is easier to loose your balance when going slow.

These to bikes share some similarities but they are quite different and it is hard to compare them. The RC51 is not a good choice for commuting, especially if there is much city driving involved. The low bars and the heavy feel make slow maneauvers awkward.

Where the RC comes into it's own is after you leave town and head down some twisty roads. This bike feels like it is glued to the road, the faster you go the better it feels. Once the speed pick up the heavy feel that was experienced around town is gone. The suspension, brakes, steering and road feel are far superior to the SH. Comparing the RC51 to the SH would be like comparing a FZ1 to a R1. They are designed to do different jobs, what one does very well the other does'nt.

If you do alot of city driving and need a small maneauverable bike to drive in heavy traffic but also to take for some sport riding in the twisties the SH is a good choice. It just won't feel as good when you get to the twisties as the RC51 will.

I prefer the RC51 because of where I live. The town I live near is the largest one in 125 miles and it has a population of 10,000. Going through town takes a few minutes and we never have heavy traffic. To get to awsome twisty roads all I have to do is leave my driveway. I live in the Ozark Mountains so all the roads are twisty. There are roads in the national forest that we ride alot that are as good as any around the Dragon in NC and no one live along these roads so no houses mean no traffic, no driveways and no side roads to watch out for.

I live in sport bike heaven and I never want to leave.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Squid

twitcher
you just reminded me why i hate living in the city, even if it is summer here for most of the year.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

Woodman, We visited the Ozarks this summer, and I was jonesing not having the bike there to taste the roads.....Very cool....
Old 02-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Superstock

woodman

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx";p=&quot
Woodman, We visited the Ozarks this summer, and I was jonesing not having the bike there to taste the roads.....Very cool....
Next time bring the bike and I will show you some of my favorite roads.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

Actually, I didn't even have my bike at that point, we had bought my wife hers first....but next time....Absolutly.....
Old 02-05-2006, 06:37 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if anyone has ever actually tried fitting the RC engine into the Hawk/Storm chassis? Do the mounts line up? Is there room for the injectors? Does the aribox fit? Etc...

I have often wondered if this would be doable (as in every time I see a RC engine for sale on eBay). It could end up being a lot cheaper than doing endless mods to get the hp up on the Hawk.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 02-05-2006, 06:39 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

One last thing, I just remembered that the Hawk has the swingarm pivot in hte engine case whereas the RC has it in the frame (engine also though?)

cheers
Mikstr