General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

rc51

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
You really have to think about,the age of the RC-51. Stock RCs were 135hp at rear wheel. Which when Honda released the bike(12 years ago) was pretty good.
But technology hasn't stopped... 1 liter bike puts about 50hp more (170-185 hp), and suspension has improved..
AS stated above- You can buy an improved, more powerful 1 liter bike now.. Just doesn't mean that it is needed or can be used on the street..
There are only two liter bikes I know of that will put down over 170 at the wheel on a true dyno (we all know there are "corrected" dumps that show way more ponies than there actually are). One is the s1000rr and the 1199r panigale. The others only put out mid 150s to low 160s. And don't let those British magazines fool you. The love to put horsepower numbers at the crank in their articles without explaining the difference. According to a Superbike magazine I have, an 08 gixxer 1000 has 186hp! And my 08 zx14 has over 200hp! Well the sad truth(or happy truth if you are racing against these bikes) is that is the manufacturer's claim.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
Sure... 55.661411,13.361167 - Google Maps

You do know the SP2 has 136 bhp at the crank as stock? So getting around 140 to the wheel isn't even a great challenge?
140 at the wheel would take some effort. Stock RC51s put down 118hp at the wheel. It would take quite a bit to get it to 140 at the wheel. Thats 22 hp. 170hp without a turbo is a bit unrealistic. I would love to see that dyno chart.

Unless you were able to mount the engine directly to the swingarm. Then you could bolt the wheel directly to the crankshaft and have a true 136hp at the wheel.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, I know darned well the difference between the numbers at the crank and the wheel...

The thing is, if you bolt a rotary supercharger to an SP2 engine, lower the compression slightly (shim), and set up the fueling, then 170 at the wheel isn't even a challenge, 140 is long gone and dusted... It's actually "downgeared" for the SC run-in at the moment, and it should be at around 180 at the wheel once that's done, or more depending on bravery/stupidity...

And no, it's not mine... But I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't really need to do that to my bike, after the testride I had... Fifth gear powerwheelies anyone? No clutch, just throttle! (And not a whole lot of throttle even!)

And actually, most stock SP2's put out a good bit more than 118 at the wheel... The least I have seen was around 122-123... There is a significant difference between the SP1 and the SP2...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Superstock

Well, I know darned well the difference between the numbers at the crank and the wheel...

The thing is, if you bolt a rotary supercharger to an SP2 engine, lower the compression slightly (shim), and set up the fueling, then 170 at the wheel isn't even a challenge, 140 is long gone and dusted... It's actually "downgeared" for the SC run-in at the moment, and it should be at around 180 at the wheel once that's done, or more depending on bravery/stupidity...

And no, it's not mine... But I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't really need to do that to my bike, after the testride I had... Fifth gear powerwheelies anyone? No clutch, just throttle! (And not a whole lot of throttle even!)
And actually, most stock SP2's put out a good bit more than 118 at the wheel... The least I have seen was around 122-123... There is a significant difference between the SP1 and the SP2...
Ok, a supercharger didn't even cross my mind. That is definitely a fast bike.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road

are you logging/documenting the build? I would love a play by play with photos!
PS I was assuming that you were talking about NA when you first said 180hp.... unless you went with the Kainzinger package.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
The RC51 was a homolgation special so that Honda could race a 1000cc twin against the Ducatis. Like the Kawi ZX7rr, it got a rep from the street riders for being a little heavy in it's class because it took a good stripping and some HRC kits to come down to race weight and up to race power. Whatever hp world superbikes made (170-180?) in the years the RC51 was raced represent it's potential if you've got the cash to get there.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a very neat project, ..... and a hell of a ride!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
The RC51 was a homolgation special so that Honda could race a 1000cc twin against the Ducatis. Like the Kawi ZX7rr, it got a rep from the street riders for being a little heavy in it's class because it took a good stripping and some HRC kits to come down to race weight and up to race power. Whatever hp world superbikes made (170-180?) in the years the RC51 was raced represent it's potential if you've got the cash to get there.

there have been some that have probably reduced the weight even lower, improved the handling even more and got more power out of it then the HRC factory ever did....

www.durbahn.de
www.kainzinger.com
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
are you logging/documenting the build? I would love a play by play with photos!
PS I was assuming that you were talking about NA when you first said 180hp.... unless you went with the Kainzinger package.
The build is completed, apart from final adjustments of the fuel mapping... I'm fairly sure the owner have documented it fairly well, I'll see if I can find a link... His english is crap however, so I'm fairly sure you will only want the images... Dunno, well see...

My bike (SP2, not my VTR) is at the moment not running, and in need of an engine overhaul... As well as being stripped of anything that I deem unneccesary since it will most likely be track only... It won't be prettied up, it will look like crap... But it will move... And NO! I'm not doing an SC... I haven't got the funds... It's possible I get antsy in the future and reverse that decision but for now no SC...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pwshadow
And don't let those British magazines fool you. The love to put horsepower numbers at the crank in their articles without explaining the difference.
It's not just the British magazines. Ducati has done this for years, list horse power figures at the crank.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
It's not just the British magazines. Ducati has done this for years, list horse power figures at the crank.
Practically every mfr quotes hp figures at the crank, it`s not just a Ducati thing......
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
Practically every mfr quotes hp figures at the crank, it`s not just a Ducati thing......
Yeah, I have yet to find a manufacturer that quotes the numbers at the wheel in their material... It's just not as impressive...

However, I couldn't care less about the numbers at the crank... I measure where the rubber meets the road... And while my tools aren't nearly as sof'stcated as the manufacturers, they show real numbers... All the way from 1 to 9... Eh wait... 10... I got ten fingers, so that's the one...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-06-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, I have yet to find a manufacturer that quotes the numbers at the wheel in their material... It's just not as impressive...

However, I couldn't care less about the numbers at the crank... I measure where the rubber meets the road... And while my tools aren't nearly as sof'stcated as the manufacturers, they show real numbers... All the way from 1 to 9... Eh wait... 10... I got ten fingers, so that's the one...
You need a Nigel Tufnel (he of Spinal Tap fame) dyno, his goes to 11
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
You need a Nigel Tufnel (he of Spinal Tap fame) dyno, his goes to 11
Hmm... Nope, then i need to use my toes as well to count, an my ma says that's not polite...
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Squid

georgiadawg is on a distinguished road
sold the superhawk and miss it already. I will get another in the future.