General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Quick question regarding fork spacing

Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Squid

south is on a distinguished road
Quick question regarding fork spacing

Hey guys, can anybody tell me the measurement between the forks, center-to-center and/or the width of the front fender across its top between the forks?

As a means to "de-link" the VFR's linked braking system, I'm using Superhawk fork lowers on my '01 VFR (keeping the VFR fork uppers and internals--albeit rebuilt with Race Tech gold valves--and triples), and the fender mounts on the Superhawk fork lowers/sliders don't match up with the holes in the VFR fender. I can fab up some adapter plates easily enough, but it'd be nice if the fork spacing on the Superhawk and VFR were the same and I could just fit a Superhawk fender directly to the Superhawk fork lowers/sliders.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I measured the distance between the centres of the rebound adjusters on my VTR, albeit in semi-darkness, and came up with 193 mm. I hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Squid

Thanks, Comedo, that's just the info I needed .

Unfortunately, the VFR looks to be closer to 125mm, so no easy-out for me. Ah, well, brackets it is.

Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Dear South,
Are you sure that 125 mm. is the centre to centre distance? Isn't the nominal width of your VFR's front tire 120 mm? What I measured was the distance between the fork centres taken from the top of the forks.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Squid

Well, if you really want to put the screws to me, I'd have to say it's more like 124 mm, center-to-center at the fork-top preload adjusters (no rebound or compression damping adjusters on the VFR). If for no other reason, I believe the extra width between the forks on the VFR is to accomodate the linked braking system: oversize front calipers, fork-mounted secondary MC, delay valve, and extra plumbing and associated clutter. Just allows a little more clearance to keep that stuff off the rim.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by south
Well, if you really want to put the screws to me, I'd have to say it's more like 124 mm, center-to-center at the fork-top preload adjusters (no rebound or compression damping adjusters on the VFR). If for no other reason, I believe the extra width between the forks on the VFR is to accomodate the linked braking system: oversize front calipers, fork-mounted secondary MC, delay valve, and extra plumbing and associated clutter. Just allows a little more clearance to keep that stuff off the rim.
Eh... I dunno how your math works... But how do you get 124 or 125 mm to be "extra width" compared to 193 mm?! Just my opinion, but 193 mm is larger than 125... Although the VFR does has a pretty wimpy stock fork altogether, the measurement still seems a bit small, to give room for the tire and all the other crap... You are sure it's not 224 mm?!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
how do you get 124 or 125 mm to be "extra width" compared to 193 mm?!
Via stupidity, senility, fatigue, and metric as a "second language" to imperial/US standard measurements . Should've used my calipers instead of a ruler marked in mm and/but numbered in cm, which was/is clearly beyond my capability to read properly . The correct measurement is 204 mm--which is pretty close, but more than I'd care to try and stretch a fender. Although not fully finished, I've got the brackets made up and the VFR fender test fitted satisfactorily. Just need to trim up, slim down, and "prettify" the brackets, and that should be all set.