General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Price of gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Reb
Squid

Reb is on a distinguished road
Price of gas

Just wondering about the price of gas around the place. In Australia petrol has just cracked the $1.60 litre mark. To fill a 19 litre tank from bone dry thats $30.40. F**king insane. Our dollar is also pretty close to yours right now. about 96/100.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
87 octane gas in my area is 3.86 to 3.99 a gallon depending on the station. $30 to fill it is NUTS!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Tampa: $3.71 - $3.89 for regular today...
Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reb
Just wondering about the price of gas around the place. In Australia petrol has just cracked the $1.60 litre mark. To fill a 19 litre tank from bone dry thats $30.40. F**king insane. Our dollar is also pretty close to yours right now. about 96/100.
We don't have 19 litre tanks, but if we did it would cost 18-20 USD depending on which state we lived in (different state taxes).

BTW, if our dollar keeps falling against yours, you guys will be able to come over here, buy a new bike, tour the U.S for a couple weeks, ship yourself and the bike back to OZ, and have spent less money on the whole deal than if you stayed home and bought a bike there.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Be happy your not in NYC area.... 4.39 for Premium.... and that's the cheapest around. Plus some places are now asking for 25-50 cents more a gallon for credit payments!!!!

J.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
BUSH
Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by calitoz
BUSH

No desire to defend Bush, but it ain't him. Ain't the "BIG OIL" companies either.

It's OPEC, which controls the supply, and U.S. federal, state, local government public employee pension funds which have invested massive, obscenely massive, amounts of money in oil futures, driving up the price beyond all reason.

At $133/barrel for crude, that's $3.16/gallon. Just for the crude oil. Before it even gets here, let alone gets refined, distributed and TAXED 50-65 cents per gallon.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
No desire to defend Bush, but it ain't him. Ain't the "BIG OIL" companies either.

It's OPEC, which controls the supply, and U.S. federal, state, local government public employee pension funds which have invested massive, obscenely massive, amounts of money in oil futures, driving up the price beyond all reason.

At $133/barrel for crude, that's $3.16/gallon. Just for the crude oil. Before it even gets here, let alone gets refined, distributed and TAXED 50-65 cents per gallon.
+1 on that. Spent a few minutes talking to my neighbor yesterday about it. He is a petroleum engineer and basically said the same thing. Limited supply, increasing demand, and the market futures acting on the news. Other overseas markets (China and India) are increasing demand for oil as well with the increase in autos on the road. I think it is time for a motorcycle lane on the interstate. Forget HOV lanes that aren't used.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
San Diego - $4.05 / gallon at the local Shell for regular. My guess is that we will be flirting with $5.00 / gallon by the end of the year.

I'm thinking scooter!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by newb007
+1 on that. Spent a few minutes talking to my neighbor yesterday about it. He is a petroleum engineer and basically said the same thing. Limited supply, increasing demand, and the market futures acting on the news.
And don't forget the devotees from the Church of Global Warming. Mostly leftist/Democrat. They won't drill in ANWR. Won't drill off the coast of Ca. or Fl. Won't exploit the shale oil of Colorado. Won't import from the tar sands of Alberta. Won't build nuclear power plants. Won't build hydroelectric dams.

But they stand there with their thumbs up their asses, stamping their feet and demanding to know why we're so dependent on "foreign energy"!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
+1

Nuke plants on coastlines, clean power

waste heat, distill sea water - clean fresh water

use some power to crack H2O, hydrogen economy

seems pretty simple, then use domestic petroleum ONLY for chemical feedstocks. It's gonna be necessary no matter what in 80 years, why not do it now?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Invest NOW in switching over to more Nuke, Geo Themal, Solar, Wind, Bio Mass power for industry energy. Save the oil we have in the ground for future reserves so I can keep my bike on the road that much longer.

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Face it guys, nuclear power is THE future. It's clean, efficient, and not near as bad as everyone thinks. I work with it every day and absorb less radiation in a month than from 1 day of cosmic radiation at the beach.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Reb
Squid

Reb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Moto Man
Invest NOW in switching over to more Nuke, Geo Themal, Solar, Wind, Bio Mass power for industry energy. Save the oil we have in the ground for future reserves so I can keep my bike on the road that much longer.
Bring on the electic powered bikes. 100% torque at 0 revs.

They will all have to be fitted with traction control to stop tearing of the rear tires and flipping over backwards. As long as they can do something to make em sound like a V Twin.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Reb
Bring on the electic powered bikes. 100% torque at 0 revs.

They will all have to be fitted with traction control to stop tearing of the rear tires and flipping over backwards. As long as they can do something to make em sound like a V Twin.

Electric bikes would be cool. The problem is the batteries. With current or even foreseeable near term tech, you need several hundred pounds of batteries to store the energy of one gallon of gasoline.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Face it guys, nuclear power is THE future. It's clean, efficient, and not near as bad as everyone thinks. I work with it every day and absorb less radiation in a month than from 1 day of cosmic radiation at the beach.

Yeah. People better get used to the idea of nuke plants if they actually want to HAVE a future. Once you build nukes they essentially run for free and pollute nothing. Like LineArrayNut said, they are the only cost effective way to turn H2O into hydrogen. With plentiful hydrogen, we wouldn't need OPEC. They could use their oil to fondue camel meat.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Ever had camel meat? It's pretty damn tasty. Didn't try it with fondue though...Maybe next time
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, rattlesnake and I'm partial to venison and ruffed grouse. I've smoked Camels, but I've never eaten one.

Does it tastes like chicken?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I only know what camel toes taste like. As for the electric bikes I've been thinking about making my own for a while. There is a guy in Oakland, Ca (http://www.electricmotorsport.com/) who convertes Derbi 125 street and supermotos bikes to electic that look pretty cool. He even converted a Yam R1 to electric that has a top speed of 100 mph with a range of 80 miles and 80 foot pounds of torque.

More here...http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...tning-lithium/

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 AM
rubber side down
Squid

BlackHawk04 is on a distinguished road
That's what i'm talking about.

Originally Posted by Moto Man
I only know what camel toes taste like. As for the electric bikes I've been thinking about making my own for a while. There is a guy in Oakland, Ca (http://www.electricmotorsport.com/) who convertes Derbi 125 street and supermotos bikes to electic that look pretty cool. He even converted a Yam R1 to electric that has a top speed of 100 mph with a range of 80 miles and 80 foot pounds of torque.

More here...http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...tning-lithium/

This is the first electric bike i've seen that wasn't birth control. The problem is that the gas bikes are just too damn sexy. If someone could rig an electric and not make it look like a freakish scooter, i'd be down with some cash offerings.
that thing is halfway cool. It does look like a bike rigged with about 300 lbs of C4 explosive though.....
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
We also have insufficient oil refineries. Also, oil companies are still making record profits. Don't get me started.....
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
You guys are neglecting one thing (I'm not going to go on my tirade about the EPA, Bush Administration, Big oil, etc....) that is we can GROW are fuel right from the ground. Yeah I know, ethanol drops fuel mileage, adds to engine heat, drives up the grain market, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm sure someone will go on about Bio Diesel's higher cloud point, etc... But instead of depending on these ******* (yes I said "*******") ragheads, big oil companies, etc... Why not depend on the American Farmer for our fuel supply?? Consider that one.....
Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
massachusetts- $3.79 for our friend down under that is about $1 (us) a liter. for those of you who were wondering what he was paying it is about $5.96 US per gallon. anyone thought of converting the hawk to ethanol and brewing your own? i wonder how well it would work. it is carburated so it can't be that hard.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:48 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I am a high school teacher, and we are now making biodiesel from the kitchens oil to fuel our lawn equipment. Its our way of saving what we can in this insane prices. I knew the prices were coming, though, as europe has always paid much more for fuel. 3.89 doesn't seem so bad in regards to what they have been paying for so long.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:02 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
$3.99-$4.05 for premium here in Gettysburg Pa.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
In the Us they say we have to give up our cars for bikes.
In China they are giving up their bikes for cars. Go figure.

Last edited by runrowdy; 05-23-2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: because im an idiot
Old 05-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1

I agree in part the price of crude have a direct affect on the price ultimately paid by us at the gas pump but there are MANY aspects that we need to look at. Although Crude plays a vital part of gasoline, there are by-products in the refinery process that are of value. Gasoline is not the only valuable final product derived from crude. So your stats of cost to gasoline at $3.16/gal is misleading. On average it is 44.4%. Assuming that everything is of equal value the calculation of $1.60/gal is more reasonable. You cannot add the price of drilling, research, ect to this price either as it has already been factored in at the Crude level. So $2.40 is for delivery, partial refinery, operational costs, taxes and PROFIT.

Let's take a look at crude prices and why it has escalated to a level that is has. Supply and demand aka market value are the main reason. And this is purely speculative. Crude prices are driven by in part, OPEC's desire to curb their output at a critical time to inflate the buying frenzy, the instability of Irag and Vanezuela, the economic down turn of the US economy and ultimately, the greed by all the companies and state/provincial/ferderal goverment. Take a look back to 2003 when crude prices started to rise and you will see a corrolation between the prices and the reasons I stated above. While you're at it, take a look at the profits made by Exxon, Shell international, etc. This was/is a boon for all those involved. Remember profits are calculated in percentage of cost, so it is the big oil company.

You look at the cause for the various triggers for the escalation of crude and it points to the inept decisions made by the Bush administration and it's inability to manage/control or unwillingness to manage/control. It is naive of us to think that the most powerful nation on earth does not have the pull it needs to make changes.

Again crude prices is completely speculative. We are not running out of oil for our needs!! A report recently put out indicated that the Aberta Oil Sands have about 600 years remaining capacity to power Canada. It is also 'speculated' that the production will outstrip the Saudis in 10 years.

Bottomline is that we CANNOT only attribute the rise of crude prices to the rise in the cost at the pump eventhough it is so conveniently done on a regular basis by those directly bennefitting in this rise. If that is the case, price should go down when the price does but it never goes down as quickly or of a greater value compare to the upswing.

Until we say enough is enough, there is no incentive for any controlling parties to change. Unfortunately this is so short sighted as our dependence for crude oil is not only for transportation. It affects every aspect of our lives and economy. When inflation rises as drastically as it has, the economy suffers and everybody hurts. Thank you Mr. Bush.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Squid

tudor is on a distinguished road
1.30 per litre that equals 4.92 per US gallon here in Czech Republic, Europe. Gas is 95RON "Special", we also get gas in 98 and 99RON numbers, even more expensive!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
Calitoz's numbers and points are quite correct and logical, although there are some points to consider. It is quite true that there is no loss in refining oil - all of the products are used and sold. Oddly enough, when gas prices rise, everyone wants the government to get involved, and when it is cheap, everyone wants them to stay away. For example, propane is a product of refining, yet the 'Big' oil companies cannot sell it directly to the public, and it still gets jacked in price by the dealers. So much for a positive reult of government involvement. Many products that we buy increase seasonally because companies know that consumers will buy it no matter what, yet no one complains about that; we just happen to notice gas increases posted on big signs on a daily basis. Compound this issue with the fact that the increase in purchases of effiicient cars hasn't exactly decreased our consumption; it has actually increased. As stated in another thread, my father works as a senior process engineer with a 'big' oil company. He has never defended the actions of his company as they make profit hand over fist. However, the wasteful attitude of many folks doesn't help. I had a lady next to me at the pump who was driving an Infiniti SUV and was bitching about gas prices costing her more money to commute 45 miles one way to the Capital Beltway. My reponse is, 'Why do you need that big of a vehicle to commute?'. For those of you that have the 'size is safety' mentality, I have seen full-size SUV's totalled by much smaller cars. The fact is that oil companies have had synthetic oils for about as long as we have had diesel-powered oil pumps in Alaska, and those big, bad oil companies have also been exploring the concept of synthetic gasoline for quite awhile. As long as we use internal combustion engines, some fuel company will be making tons of money. Since I have a somewhat 'green' mentality, I don't think about how many 100 years of oil supply is out there; I'd rather look for a real solution.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Biggest thing driving up the price is people buying oil futures, they see it as the safe investment just like they saw real estate being a safe investment and poured all their $$ in to that. There exists enough oil on the planet to last another 500 years or so (not that it'd be a good idea to keep burning it) so the illusion of running out of oil in our lifetime is just that, an illusion. 5-10 yrs from now we will be looking back on the oil bubble just like we did the real estate bubble.

Quick Reply: Price of gas