General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: Should I get the title clean before selling?
Pay the DMV $500 for clean title before selling
88.89%
Give Buyer $500 discount and sell without clean title
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: sell with or without clean title?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Squid

Twins is on a distinguished road
Poll: sell with or without clean title?

Hi All,

I have about $500 in back registration (verified by CA DMV website where you can check fees on any bike with just a plate number) on a 98 VTR that i intend on selling. I was wondering what the group thought about disclosing this and selling without paying the registration for a $500 discount or should I get the title clean first and then sell for full price? Seems like someone might buy for parts or other reason and not need current tags, but on the other hand, clean title is a nice selling point. My inclination is to get the title clean, but I thought I'd put it to a vote in my first POLL

Bike has 10,000 miles and is in good shape with after-market pipes. Never laid down.

Last edited by Twins; 07-14-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: add bike descrition
Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I'd think you'd get a better audience for a bike with a clean title...my 2 cents
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you should sell to the next state over. I've scored some good deals on bikes thanks to California's ridiculous fee's. Back registration does not transfer to AZ. What are you looking to get out of it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Clean title will obviously bring more money and value to the bike. Otherwise it's no good to anyone unless that want to ride illegally, make a stunt bike, track bike, parts bike etc. Of course you could always just disclose it and you never know, you might find someone willing to go thru the hassle with you on getting it registered.

If it were me I'd probably pay the $500 and hope I could recoup it from the sale. Tough economy right now though and its purely a buyers market.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by inderocker
I think you should sell to the next state over. I've scored some good deals on bikes thanks to California's ridiculous fee's. Back registration does not transfer to AZ. What are you looking to get out of it if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind the asking, but I would prefer this not turn into a discussion of selling price. I haven't put a price on the bike yet, but was thinking $3,800 with a clean title. The pipes are Staintune. Of course, the market will dictate actual selling price.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
yeh good luck with that.
Have a showroom new 04 with 3,000 miles that I can't get $4500. for (3 months now)
Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
inderocker is right. Screw the Peoples' Republik of Taxifornia and its DMV. Sell the bike out of state. For less than $500 you could deliver it to Az., Nevada or Oregon.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
inderocker is right. Screw the Peoples' Republik of Taxifornia and its DMV. Sell the bike out of state. For less than $500 you could deliver it to Az., Nevada or Oregon.
LOL! Could be Mexifornia too or Californication per RHC
Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Squid

rhorsley is on a distinguished road
Since the prospective new owner might be looking for a track bike and couldn't care less about registration, I would list it for FMV less fees and explain the issue. Any buyer worth dealing with should understand your situation. And the one who wants it for the track gets a good deal.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
If it were me buying it, I would want more than the $500 in fee's off. I've only got your 'word' as to what the deal is as to why you have $500 in fee's and don't have clean title. With all the scammers out there, you'd have to take more than $1000 off the bike for me to be interested in it.

As far as buying it for a track bike, the fee's are STILL a problem. In order to register it as "non-operational" under my name, I still must transfer title, which means I must pay the fees'. If I never transfer the title/never register it as non-operational...and the fee's would just continue to rack up under your name. So this is good for you HOW?

Buck up and pay the fee's or sell to an out of state buyer.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
If it were me buying it, I would want more than the $500 in fee's off. I've only got your 'word' as to what the deal is as to why you have $500 in fee's and don't have clean title. With all the scammers out there, you'd have to take more than $1000 off the bike for me to be interested in it.

As far as buying it for a track bike, the fee's are STILL a problem. In order to register it as "non-operational" under my name, I still must transfer title, which means I must pay the fees'. If I never transfer the title/never register it as non-operational...and the fee's would just continue to rack up under your name. So this is good for you HOW?

Buck up and pay the fee's or sell to an out of state buyer.
Yeah well, it depends on what he means by "clean title".

If he's got the title in hand and just can't reg it in Ca. without paying fees, sell it out of state and **** Ca. and the homo mafia that runs the DMV. OK, maybe **** the homo mafia is a poor choice of words. Just sell it out of state.

If Ca. is withholding issuance of a "clean title" pending payment of fees, that's a different story.

If it's the former, he can ride to Las Vegas in under 5 hrs, Phoenix in under 6. Catch a flight back to John Wayne for way under $100. It is the duty of every red blooded American to **** the California Goobermint whenever possible.

Last edited by RK1; 07-14-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
By track bike I meant not even worry with getting it registered. Most of the guys in my area who are track junkies are guys riding on bikes with salvage, rebuilt, or non-existing (lost) titles from the previous owner(s). They are not registered at all much less insured. Maybe its different in other states though. I don't know.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Squid

Thanks for all of the input. I did not consider selling it out of state before. Seems like it will be too much hassle for me though, so looks like the state gets my dough to pay back the IOUs.