General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

please help !! 99 superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM
FNG!
Squid

ls503king333 is on a distinguished road
please help !! 99 superhawk

i've got a 99 superhawk i was riding around when bike died i couldnt restart or even get to light up.. so i trailered it home and left it for the night..... i then took off the rear feiring and looked at the starter relay the 30 amp fuse was not blown so i started taking the relay out of the boot while i was removing it, the gauges lite up they worked for a while until i tried to bump start it then it died with no lights or anything i left it for two days (had to take family to the beach) i came back and turned the key the gauges came on until i pushed the start button,now nothing???? WTF WTF WTF!!!! when the gauges first came on a clicking noise was coming from the "starter relay" when i pushed the button. i took out all the wiring from the tank back and inspected it for shorts/grounds my high beam fuse was blowing right after i put it in before the bike died does this have anthting to do with it?? anything helps
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Step 1: Remove and charge battery.
Step 2: While battery is charging, clean both ends of positive and negative cables, clean harness connector terminals and starter solenoid terminals, clean harness connectors and regulator/rectifier terminals.
Step 3: Check stator windings for short to ground and proper resistance between the 3 wires (your Service Manual has specs).
Step 4: When all terminals are cleaned and reconnected and the stator checks out OK, reinstall the battery.
Step 5: Start bike and check charging system output.

Rex
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Oh the headache I remembered...

Same symptom for me and mine previous, turned out to be a shorted cell in a new battery that I had installed. Assuming the battery was good because it was new, I spent hours and hours searching for something else to cause the trouble.

Easy to pull and load test (parts store), if good, then look to other causes. The customer 'no service' refused to take it back! (Advance/Discount Auto Parts)

High beam fuse is another issue, but if shorted it could cause a weak/failed battery to be a no starter.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Squid

11strings is on a distinguished road
Had the same story happen to me. Ended up being the battery, as suggested above, but when I took my battery to the parts house and had it tested, they told me it was fine. After checking EVERYTHING else 10 times or more, I chanced it and bought the battery anyhow. Problem solved. Good luck!