PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTION...URGENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTION...URGENT

hi
it was raining last night...i started up by bike let it run for abt 30 seconds and started going to school
about a quarter mile from home ..everything went off ...the lights the ignition everything ...i coasted to a stop and had to push it back home
it was riding fine and it just died
can anyone tell me whats going on?
cheers
hari
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Sounds electrical in nature, check the fuses and go from there... if a fuse is blown check the wiring for any abrasions or missing wire insulation that might cause it to ground out to something metal on the bike
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I agree. One other possiblity relates to having over-filled the fuel tank which can cause an air lock to develop, causing a fuel starvation issue. While this generally only happens when leaving the gas station, if you "jerry canned" it at home it may be something to look at too.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by mikstr
I agree. One other possiblity relates to having over-filled the fuel tank which can cause an air lock to develop, causing a fuel starvation issue. While this generally only happens when leaving the gas station, if you "jerry canned" it at home it may be something to look at too.

hi...can u explian what jerry can is?
i do think it could be electrical in nature as it just died ....it was running fine and boom it was gone
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Possibly your R/R, sounds electrical

"jerry can" = field engineering, rigging, etc.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate it when people do this... but I couldn't resist since I've used a jerry can and I've done some jerry rigging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_can

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_rig
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Squid

chknfrdstk
rectifier

the same exact thing happened to me and it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check your main fuse...hell, ALL of the fuses first. Then check battery connections.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Check kickstand kill switch.... if everything died instantly I'd bet it's that, the main fuse, or a loose/broken battery cable.

If it was the R/R, more often than not, you'd start loosing bits and piece of the electrics as the battery dies... ex. gauges first, then headlight, then motor dies... usually takes a couple mintues for it all to happen... if it was all fine, then instant death... it seems like something different than bad battery or R/R.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
I say it's the battery connection. Make sure your battery connections are good.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
I say it is the fuse. All dark, no lights, no spark, no dice? Battery or fuse.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Test
Squid

more tests based on what you guys suggested...

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Check your main fuse...hell, ALL of the fuses first. Then check battery connections.
Hi I removed the seat and there was a small black fuse box in it ...i pulled out all of the fuses and looked at it and they looked ok...there was a diode but i couldnt say if it was ok or not...now i looked a circuit diagram and there was 30A fuse somewhere on it ...which i beleive was the Main fuse...but in the fuse box all i saw was many 10A's and one 20A fuse...is the main fuse located else where? .....now this regulator thing people have answered abt it ....is there a chance of that just dying out?
cheers
hari
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by chknfrdstk
the same exact thing happened to me and it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier.

hi ...there is another message stating that it takes abt 2 mins for all failures to happen if its R/R...did this happen or did it just conk out?
how much did it cost to fix it? did u fix it urself or did you have to take it to a shop.
cheers
Hari
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
When my RR went, it was not obvious at first. A couple times the bike died after riding for a while then went dead. It would then restart after charging the battery. I changed it before it actually conked out. Based on the facts, I would say something got wet. If it is not a fuse, there is likely a connector that is full of water somewhere. Pull your gauge cluster off and have a look at all of the wiring under there.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:47 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
There is a main fuse I’m thinking on the right side of the bike where the + battery cable hooks up to. Fallow the + cable where it hooks up to if I remember right the starter relay. There is a fuse there which I believe is in series.

Stumpy
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by Stumpy
There is a main fuse I’m thinking on the right side of the bike where the + battery cable hooks up to. Fallow the + cable where it hooks up to if I remember right the starter relay. There is a fuse there which I believe is in series.

Stumpy
hi stumpy
do i have to take any fairings off to see this fuse?
cheers
hari
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Squid

chknfrdstk
Originally Posted by vasaq
hi ...there is another message stating that it takes abt 2 mins for all failures to happen if its R/R...did this happen or did it just conk out?
how much did it cost to fix it? did u fix it urself or did you have to take it to a shop.
cheers
Hari
i wasn't paying much attention to the guages...driving in houston traffic on a bike is hard enough, all i know is that it died. no power anywhere. i want to say it was $100 - $120 or so to have a mechaninc change the r/r out.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:51 PM
SuperSport

Just looked at it if you take the seat off you can see the black box on the left side about half way back form the bolt that holds the rear plastic tail pice on. there is a little tab over the fuse take the one bolt off you can get at it better. fuse is under tab.

http://mckune-motorsports.com/

go to bike mods 2nd pic you can see it hanging there

Stumpy

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-24-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Test
Squid

Just looked at it if you take the seat off you can see the black box on the left side about half way back form the bolt that holds the rear plastic tail pice on. there is a little tab over the fuse take the one bolt off you can get at it better. fuse is under tab.

http://mckune-motorsports.com/

go to bike mods 2nd pic you can see it hanging there

Stumpy
hey stumpy
thanks ...i found it ...i found the main fuse burnt ..replaced another 30 A and it blew immediately ...tried another 15 A and it burnt the moment the contact was made ...so i am guessing there is a short there somewhere..please give me some suggestions on how to start trouble shooting this?
cheers
Hari
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
well, try pulling out the other fuses and such you found and see if the short goes away - if so you then can narrow it down to a particular circuit - otherwise check over every inch of the wiring harnesses for any thing that is worn through... hopefully you will find it easily and not have to dig into the harnesses themselves to find it. good luck!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

If the main fuse is bad any other fuse whould have burnt also I would look at the main wire first use a light between + on bat and + wire replace 30amp fuse the light will light up but not blow fuse due to light holding down the amps then look around untill you can get the light to go out there is your short. you might have more than one let me know what happens. or you can use a 10 amp braker will just keep going off and on rember battery has to be good. will kill it if you leave this way but amps low should not burn anything up. but dont just walk away and leave it not a good thing to do.

Stumpy
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vasaq
hey stumpy
thanks ...i found it ...i found the main fuse burnt ..replaced another 30 A and it blew immediately ...tried another 15 A and it burnt the moment the contact was made ...so i am guessing there is a short there somewhere..please give me some suggestions on how to start trouble shooting this?
cheers
Hari
Mine just did the same thing 2 months ago.

Pull off your tailpiece and unplug your r/r. With the battery still connected replace the fuse. If it doesn't blow it is the r/r with a short in it.

If the fuse still blows then you have the fun of being very familiar with your electrical system.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
I blew my main fuse once.My rectifier had vibrated lose.the ground wire wasnt making contact.It ruined the rectifier,bought a new one and then the battery would not charge.had to replace the stator too.no problems since.Check out "electrosport" if you need to replace one or the other.Ive heard that the r/r goes out around 25,000 miles.Free sevice manual in" Knowledge base "

Last edited by doggerman; 10-26-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by flyin_hawk
Mine just did the same thing 2 months ago.

Pull off your tailpiece and unplug your r/r. With the battery still connected replace the fuse. If it doesn't blow it is the r/r with a short in it.

If the fuse still blows then you have the fun of being very familiar with your electrical system.

Good luck!
hey flyin_hawk
i think u might be onto something here..i am suspecting the R/R.....i would like some help in locating the R/R...is it possible we could talk on the phone ...if you will send me an email to vasaq@yahoo.com ..i will send you my number or you can send me yours ...i dont know whats the norm on asking for a number on a forum ..i hope its not considered inappropriate.
Cheers
hari
Old 10-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by doggerman
I blew my main fuse once.My rectifier had vibrated lose.the ground wire wasnt making contact.It ruined the rectifier,bought a new one and then the battery would not charge.had to replace the stator too.no problems since.Check out "electrosport" if you need to replace one or the other.Ive heard that the r/r goes out around 25,000 miles.Free sevice manual in" Knowledge base "
well i dont think anything is lose under the fairings but let me check that today and get back to u...
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by RickB
well, try pulling out the other fuses and such you found and see if the short goes away - if so you then can narrow it down to a particular circuit - otherwise check over every inch of the wiring harnesses for any thing that is worn through... hopefully you will find it easily and not have to dig into the harnesses themselves to find it. good luck!
this is what i am going to do after i try flyinhawks suggestion....this makes so much sense. i am going to need a lot of 30 A fuses lol
cheers
hari
Old 10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Test
Squid

If the main fuse is bad any other fuse whould have burnt also I would look at the main wire first use a light between + on bat and + wire replace 30amp fuse the light will light up but not blow fuse due to light holding down the amps then look around untill you can get the light to go out there is your short. you might have more than one let me know what happens. or you can use a 10 amp braker will just keep going off and on rember battery has to be good. will kill it if you leave this way but amps low should not burn anything up. but dont just walk away and leave it not a good thing to do.

Stumpy

Stumpy ...i am not sure if I understand you ..and it kinda sounds scary ...do u think i should begin with Flyin hawks suggestion ? and if that doesnt work out try ur idea?
but thanks stumpy you have put me on track here though....
cheers
hari
Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Test
Squid

hey guys
i just spoke to a guy at the local honda place ( a phone conversation)...he says if the R/R blew it would still start but the battery wouldnt charge. My battery still holds charge and he thinks that it could be the pulse generator or stator/alternator ....the stator seems to be expensive...do u think this is that serious?
cheers
Hari
Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
disconnect your starter at stud on starter unit itself.
then replace 30a. fuse.
does it blow then?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Test
Squid

Originally Posted by hawxter996
disconnect your starter at stud on starter unit itself.
then replace 30a. fuse.
does it blow then?
hey hawkster ...what does this mean "stud on starter "
cheers
hari

Quick Reply: PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTION...URGENT