General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Squid

FastWilly is on a distinguished road
Paint problem

The paint on the bottom of my Sharkskinz lower fairing is blistering along the path the exhaust takes. I guess my painter sucks, right? Surely not everyone with a sharkskinz fairing has this problem. Any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Not the painter's fault. You need to line the inside of the fairing along the header with some kind of heat shield. The exhaust is really hot and will bubble the paint and also burn the fiberglass. Thermo-tec makes a great product. I've talked about it a bunch of times before on here. It REALLY works. Used it on a sharkskinz lower on a gsxr I had. The header was within an inch of the fairing and the paint was warm to the touch. Where the heat shield wasn't the header was 4-6 inches away and was HOT. The stuff really works. Wish you would've asked sooner

Last edited by captainchaos; 07-20-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

http://www.thermotec.com/adhesive-ba...t-barrier.html

You can get it at places like summit, jegs, etc. I painted mine in with resin so it would be permanent and it worked like a champ.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FastWilly
The paint on the bottom of my Sharkskinz lower fairing is blistering along the path the exhaust takes. I guess my painter sucks, right? Surely not everyone with a sharkskinz fairing has this problem. Any thoughts?
This is the kind of thinking that pisses me off... You start off by assuming you have done everything absolutely correct and it's somebody elses fault...

It's usually a better idea to start by asking, "What did I screw up...?" If you honestly can't figure out anything you did screw up... Then mayby you can blame someone else... Usually not though...

It's common sense, if it's hot enough that you don't want to stick your hand on it, it's hot enough to burn the paint...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Maybe a bit harsh for a newbie but in many ways you're right.

They build the plastics, they don't paint them so you gotta paint problem talk to the paint people.

If it's really an exhaust problem then you need to talk to those engine folks.

This is what keeps this forum in business and why the archives are so valuable.

You wanna know a lot about a Superhawk? Start searching and reading. It's all there and not everybody agrees. That's what I like about it. Same problems, different approaches, different fixes - lots of alternatives so you can best address your situation.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Don't feel bad you're not the only one. I could never understand all the beautifully painted racebikes and customs I've seen with black ovals burned into the lower fairings. I guess folks just either don't know or don't care.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Maybe a bit harsh for a newbie but in many ways you're right.

They build the plastics, they don't paint them so you gotta paint problem talk to the paint people.

If it's really an exhaust problem then you need to talk to those engine folks.

This is what keeps this forum in business and why the archives are so valuable.

You wanna know a lot about a Superhawk? Start searching and reading. It's all there and not everybody agrees. That's what I like about it. Same problems, different approaches, different fixes - lots of alternatives so you can best address your situation.
Don't worry... I'm all for equal opportunities... I'm harsh on newbies as well as known perpetrators...

The thing is, this is neither a paint problem nor an engine/exhaust problem... The paint does what it is supposed to, the engine and exhaust as well...

The problem is that you are sticking on a fairing where originally there aren't supposed to be one... If that doesn't work... Well don't go blaming the painter... Instead figure out the root cause...

When things I do go wrong (And believe me, they do that quite regularily...) My first question is always, "What did I muck up this time?"
Because usually the problem is me not thinking it through all the way... Not somebody else's fault...
Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
Considering he bought the bike like that and there wasnt a problem I wouldnt give him too much grief. Bought it with a freshly painted/installed lower from someone who obviously knew what he was doing. Expected it to have been done right. Cut the guy some slack.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by Tweety
When things I do go wrong (And believe me, they do that quite regularily...) My first question is always, "What did I muck up this time?"
Because usually the problem is me not thinking it through all the way... Not somebody else's fault...
This is a good philosophy for most things in life, from paint to politics, but it doesn't come naturally, IMO. I think people, and groups of people, have a natural tendency to think they are the standard by which all else should be measured. It's the Copernican center of the universe thing.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Skarkskinz come new with a heat-shield. No probs with mine.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
WAIT, I'm going to defend Tweety here, just cause he's a "newbie" on the board, doesn't necessarily make him a "newbie" everywhere. MAYBE this isn't his first bike, maybe it is. MAYBE, he's a ******* nuclear scientist and smarter than all of us, and just didn't think it through.

DEFINITELY, it is the way society is going these days. Let's blame someone first, then figure out the problem.

If the phrase:
I guess my painter sucks, right?
had been left out, Tweety wouldn't have said anything at all. How does the adage go, yeah thats right, "put your brain in gear, before you put your mouth in motion". Think about what you say, or virtually say through typing, before you say/type it.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dnagmour
Considering he bought the bike like that and there wasnt a problem I wouldnt give him too much grief. Bought it with a freshly painted/installed lower from someone who obviously knew what he was doing. Expected it to have been done right. Cut the guy some slack.
Nope... Not cutting him or you any slack... It's just not my thing... Think before you act and think before you open your mouth... Or be prepared to get called on your shortcomings...

Originally Posted by FastWilly
In no place does he state he bought the bike/lower fairing as such... He insted refers to his painter... To me that suggest he either bought it as it comes from Sharkskinz in primer and then had it painted and installed it... Or bought it second hand and re-painted it... (at which time he possibly ripped of the heatshield as I doubt it was burned when he bought it...)

As they come from Sharkskinz with a heatshield and instructions, he wouldn't have this problem... So more likely the latter option... If so why not think it through and note the fact that the back end of the freshly painted surface is within an inch of a very hot exhaust?

Follow that thought through and you atleast should start asking questions, not blaming the painter... It would have taken less than ten minutes to go online and find the information either in our search function or on Sharkskinz that you need some heatshielding...

So again... Not a paint problem... A thinking problem... Like two more have stated... Modus operandi at the moment in the world at large is to blame someone else first, trouble shoot later... And if you scream loud enough the other one will fix your problem just to get rid of you...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM
MotoGP

A few examples... Common sense (yeah, that's an oxymoron if there ever was one...) dictates that if you boil water to make coffe/tea/choclate or whatever it's hot enough to burn you... Yet in the US several companies have to put labels on drink containers to not carry them in your lap to ensure not being sued...

Common sense also dictates that an engine consisting of metal parts moving very fast might hurt you if you stick various body parts to close or into it... Yet every engine imported from the US carries labels that state you shouldn't open or disassemble them while running, again to make sure no dumbass with 9 fingers will sue...

In Sweden, which has considerable faults, any person with such a claim would get thrown out of court and laughed at... If you are dumb enough you will find a way to screw up just about anything, and then it's not the rest of the world that is responsible for fixing the problem or the resulting damage...

Now, I'm not saying FastWilly is that 9 fingered person... I'm saying he's part of the group of "lazy thinking" people that since the world coddle's stupid people and cleans up after them expects the rest of the world to take responsability for his or her's problems...

Now freedom of speech both in the US and in Sweden gives me the opportunity to point this out to people of that group... It even gives me "a right" to do so, altough I'm less fond of that wording, as it also gives me a responsibility to do so with respect...

If you consider my above post to be "harsh" or "giving him grief"... Well that's you opinion and you are allowed to state that... Infact I encourage you to do soo... But no, I will not cut anybody, any slack what-so-ever for being lazy thinkers...

Make an honest mistake, or ask a question, and I will help out fixing the problem, or discuss the merits of this or that to time's end... But blame other people for your own lazy thinking or fail to do the slightest amount of research before you ask one of the standard formulaeic questions and I will be harsh... It's one of my simple enjoyments in life...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Squid
Squid

Wow, you need to get some coffee and relax. This is the kind of things that drive people away from forums. It's a shame cause there is sooo much good information here. Dont answer the question if it bothers you. Maybe he should have included more information, maybe not. Maybe he should have searched the web for the answer. He went to the experts. AND got some quick replies that answered his question. This is the place for simple answers to questions. The rant about the decay of society as a whole belongs somewhere else IMO.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dnagmour
Wow, you need to get some coffee and relax. This is the kind of things that drive people away from forums. It's a shame cause there is sooo much good information here. Dont answer the question if it bothers you. Maybe he should have included more information, maybe not. Maybe he should have searched the web for the answer. He went to the experts. AND got some quick replies that answered his question. This is the place for simple answers to questions. The rant about the decay of society as a whole belongs somewhere else IMO.
Again, you have your opinions and I have mine... Since you keep trying to educate me on how to behave on the forum I will be "harsh" to you as well... Consider the fact that you are relative to me a "newbie" still, and yet people keep talking to me on this forum... Newbies and otherwise... Go read my previous posts... All of them... Then form a reply... Other than that, accept that people are different than you and have different opinions...

Now If you want the last word, go ahead...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Squid
Squid

Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Squid

to captainchaos and the others that recognize something said in jest and offered a helpful reply I offer my hearty thanks. To those such as tweety who take themselves way too seriously (and are SUPER fun to hang around I'm sure) I invite you to write down all you think you know about me and the perils of western society you've derived from my four sentences, roll it up real small, and cram it up your a$$. You may not have noticed that I didn't take the fairing off and beat the painter with it. Instead I asked here first what the problem may be. I even made a small joke. I'll look elsewhere next time and avoid the humorless "holyer-than-thous" on the forum. Lighten up, you jag.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM
MotoGP

Ok, so what we can derive from this is that i'm (according to you) uptight... And you according to me, have questionable humour (atleast if you want to make sure it's percieved as a joke, use a smiley)

I'd gladly left it at that... Aside from the name calling... Dnagmour having a different opinion than me I completely respect and value (I might even listen).

You however have just proven yourself to be dumber than the average person... I might have said someting you didn't like and like others pointed out I wasn't overly polite... I did not however resort to namecalling... You did... So please feel free to look elsewhere for help next time...

And no... No smiley...
Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Squid

Unhappy

mr harsh no mercy tweety got his feelings hurt
Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Wow, look at the new guy to the forum making a wonderful first impression.

See now you have a problem. You will at some point need information from this forum. It is probably already written down, but you won't be able to find it, even using the search function. Certain people, Tweety being one of them, have the ability to remember where it is written, or to recount the information for you.

BUT, now you have pissed him off. There are people that like him and appreciate his genuine willingness to help everyone.

At no point do I see any jest in your original post. Just finger pointing, and I see it again, it's not your fault that you're a horses ***, it's Tweety's fault cause he's uptight.

Grow up. You've been insolent to one person multiple times in one post.

Good luck with your bike, hope you can figure it out by yourself, doesn't look like you'll get much help now.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
ahem...
Attached Thumbnails Paint problem-arguing_on_the_internet.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by HawkFanatic
ahem...
YES a classic! I love that poster.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
lol
Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM
MotoGP

Show me an argument and I'll show you two losers... Nobody ever wins an argument... Not online or offline...

Btw *****... Nope... didn't hurt any feelings... Though I did pinch my finger when I put the fuel tank back on this afternoon... Can I blame you...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
MotoGP

Oh and BTW that was a smiley and a joke...

Though just FYI... Dont do carb work on a full tank... 16 L is small when you run out... It's danged big and heavy once it's on your finger...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
My Sharkskinz lower was on the bike when I bought it in '02. It had the heat shield on it and no melted paint. Washing it one day last year I noticed a black oval, and found the heat shield (stick on type which I figure is what came on it) had actually burned through in a spot and was letting the paint blister. I ordered a big square of it from Summit and it's been fine since. I also bent the mounting tab on the lower a bit to get it a little farther from the header, it was less than 1/2" away. Not sure if anyone else has had that problem over time or not.