General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

oxidized metal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Squid

ejizzle is on a distinguished road
oxidized metal

I have a 98 hawk and the rear sets and parts of the swingarms are oxidized is there any product that you guys used to restore the shine any help would be appeciated.:-D
Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Well they're clearcoated parts, and it depends on what the damage is. If anything will help some Mother's will. It's stronger than wax and cleaner wax but still mild enough to not mar the finish. If the "damage" is the on surface you may get some good results but if the clearcoat itself is faded/stained/messed up then it would have to be stripped. If they're really bad/scratched/stained you could just wet sand them and polish them. The rule of thumb when trying out polishes, etc on an unfamiliar surface is to always start as mild as possible and work your way up to something stronger.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
The rearsets and swingarm are not clearcoated.

Mothers aluminum polish is a great product, try it first.

Another suggestion and it will not hurt the metal is to use some WD40 on a rag and rub the surfices well. Saturate the rag pretty good, but be cautious and do not get it on the tires or brake rotor.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
Sea Foam Deep Creep spray

a little of that might get it off...i know it got off a lot of stubborn spots on my swingarm

also Mr. Buffer is a godsend for cleaning/polishing IMO
Old 12-29-2006, 12:12 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Thumper
The rearsets and swingarm are not clearcoated.

Mothers aluminum polish is a great product, try it first.

Another suggestion and it will not hurt the metal is to use some WD40 on a rag and rub the surfices well. Saturate the rag pretty good, but be cautious and do not get it on the tires or brake rotor.
Okay the rearsets may not be but my swingarm was definitely clearcoated (the small rough area at the front of the swingarm is not) because it's the second one I've sanded, wetsanded and polished. I remember twice having to sand a clearcoat off. If you rub Mother's (or any wax or polish) on the stock swingarm does it turn black? No? It's clearcoated, just like the smooth part of the frame is. If it were bare metal it would turn black when you polish it. Not looking to disagree with you but...
If the swingarm looks that crappy just sand it down and polish it. If you don't like the polished look then wetsand to 600 or 1000 grit and leave it with a cool matte finish.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
The "The Clear coat" you are speaking of is not actually a painted on clear coat. The bare aluminum on the frame and swingarm are hard coat anodized, which is many times harder than clear coat and keeps the bare aluminum from oxidizing. That's why sanding off the anodized layer is such a pain in the butt.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RVO27
The "The Clear coat" you are speaking of is not actually a painted on clear coat. The bare aluminum on the frame and swingarm are hard coat anodized, which is many times harder than clear coat and keeps the bare aluminum from oxidizing. That's why sanding off the anodized layer is such a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was something on there. Sounds about right, especially the "pain in the butt" part. But it's not nearly as bad as doing something like the rough part of the frame, which my gsxr had plenty of.