General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Oils

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: oil change

You will have to remove the front plastic cover around the oil filter. I have heard its good to get the bike up to operating temperature, let it cool 5 minutes and then drain the oil and removing the filter - be careful its going to be HOT! Supposedly its gets more particles out of the crankcase... If nothing else it drains faster! Use either a real good conventional oil or a sythetic oil and a name brand filter. I have run mine since 600 miles with synthetic oil.

Rick B
02 SH
Old 03-09-2006, 02:36 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

G'day Ali.

Rick is right mate, warm up the bike first. I prefer to go for a short ride to get it to full operating temp, and then drain the oil out.

You should use a new sealing washer on the sump plug, or you can do what I do and anneal it (heat it up, I use a gas torch) and smooth it over with a file or sandpaper before re-installing.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 on the heat up I use a honda filter about 11 bucks and for now I use honda synthetic oil gold bottle red cap without moly!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm using a Walmart supertech filter st7317 which works just as well if not better and it cost a whopping $2.15. There are a couple of threads on this subject, one that's a list of compatible filters. Both recommended and not rec. this guy bought tons of filters cut them in half and looked at all the filtering mech. These have the pressure, thread and length included in the list check it out for the future, I haven't bought a honda filter since. :wink: Oh and the reason to heat it up is it makes the oil thinner so it drains easier and gets more of the dirty oil out. It may bring other particles as well but the main reason is to get as much of the dirty oil as possible. You can never get it all out without flushing it but this way gets most of it.

Here's a link to the oil filter cross ref. https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1987
Old 03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info I used to drive by wal-mart to go to the honda dealer can I stress used to!! what kind of oil are you using I thought about repsol synthetic?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

Sorry wife was getting pissed....dinner and all. It depends on what the purpose of the oil change is. If it's regular matainence then I'll use Mobil one gold cap. If I'm changing it for a track day and I know I'll change it again after I use something cheaper.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Squid

GoBlu

I know it's expensive, but I have been using Repsol (I have a hook-up). The bike seems to idle and rev smoother.

Plus it has a crazy spout that makes it a breeze..
Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Easy.

1. Undo both bolts holding the plastic chin-faring.
a. One is on the right side of the bike when you sit on it and requires a hex wrench (included).
b. The other on the left side is a bolt and requires a socket wrench and an extender and is set straight-into the plastic chin-faring parallel to the oil filter.

2. Warm up the bike a little. If you have a digital guage, 98 degrees is fine, then turn off the bike.

3. The drain bolt is in an unusual place for a motorcycle. It's clearly visable on the SIDE of the oil pan, all the way back on the left side. Place a pan underneath and using a non-included socket wrench with a nice large handle (for extra torque) remove the bolt being extra careful not to lose the washer! If you do, fish it out of the pan.

4. Slide the oil pan to under the oil filter and put a dry rag under where the bolt hole was to catch any remaining drip.

4. Using an oil filter wrench (still not included, though I like to use the rubber-strap kind), remove the oil filter. Goo will ensue.

Note* You can pour a quart of oil thru the works to clear-out dirt and debris and catch it with your pan but this is a bit overkill. Unless you change your oil annually you shouldn't need to do this as the micro-debris will be collected by the new filter.

5. Wipe clean both draining areas.

6. Smear oil around the new filter's rim and hand-tighten it to about as tight as you can by hand which should be around 22 foot-pounds, give or take.

7. Using a torque wrench, reinstall the bolt and washer to the drain plug. Should be around 22-lbs torque or until the bike moves a little when you tug if you don't got one.

8. Insert oil in the cap on the other side of the bike. I recommend Mobil-1 Motorcycle blend without Moly (MX4T 10W-40) but I'm tempted to try Mobile-1 synth (V-Twin 20W-50) because I run hot where I am and I am usually stuck in standstill Denver traffic over 85 degrees F. and doesn't get below 50 deg. F.

9. Wipe everything down one last time and run the engine. It shouldn't leak. If it does, either you went too tight or too loose.

I think the horse is dead, but I'll put pictures on my web page.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 AM
SuperSport

Loco
If you don't have a oil filter wrench, and you are in a bind, you can always use a philips head screwdriver and jab it into the oil filter (you're not going to need it at this point) and then twist. Just beware it will start leaking oil immediately.

I realize this may sound like sarcasm, but I've done this several times on my bikes.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

You're a hacker through and through.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Oh hell yes. I may not be the cleanest mechanic, or the most technically adept, but I sure as hell get the job done, and efficiently.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
MotoGP

Yep...done it myself a few times..sometimes ya do what ya gots ta do. Those strap wrenches also work well.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Squid

YellowVTR
I just bought a 2000 VTR...where the heck do you check the oil level, there is no dipstick that I see anywhere. Please help a newb out
Old 03-28-2006, 05:23 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

On the side of the engine case there is a round hole or window near the bottom that you can see the oil level - it should be within the 2 marks with the bike level - IE not on the kickstand. This hole is on the same side as the oil fill plug. Maybe someone on the list has a pic of that area handy to help you out...

Rick B
02 SH
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Squid

YellowVTR

ah ok, I see it now. Thank you!

also, are you supposed to check it after running the engine for a little bit or while its cold
Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
If you don't have a oil filter wrench, and you are in a bind, you can always use a philips head screwdriver and jab it into the oil filter (you're not going to need it at this point) and then twist. Just beware it will start leaking oil immediately.

I realize this may sound like sarcasm, but I've done this several times on my bikes.
Ha, been there done that....You aint from AL are ya Loco??? lol......I am.....
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
From the manual:
Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.
Stop the engine, support the motorcycle upright on a level surface.
Wait for a few minutes and check that the oild level is between the upper and lower marks in the inspection window.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Squid

RazoRRBlade

Ali,

How'd the oil change go? Once you start you can't stop. I am changing out my chain and sprockets at the moment.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Squid

dustinwild

Just a little tid bit that I heard once at a bike shop. Automotive Synthetic oils can actually wreck wet clutches. If you are intending on running a synthetic, it is recommended to run a motorcycle synthetic. However, the only advantage that Synthetics have is that the molecules don't break down as fast, but it will still get just as dirty, and your filter will get just as plugged... So, they actually recommend running a high quality non-synthetic, and changing in more often. This is what I do, and I find that my bike runs smoother, then when I used to run motorcycle synthetic, and change it later.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Squid

plan9 is on a distinguished road
well hell, with this much info I might not need to go buy the book for a while. Tell me- how much oil does she take?

plan9
Old 08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plan9
well hell, with this much info I might not need to go buy the book for a while. Tell me- how much oil does she take?

plan9
4 qt
Old 08-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dustinwild
Just a little tid bit that I heard once at a bike shop. Automotive Synthetic oils can actually wreck wet clutches. If you are intending on running a synthetic, it is recommended to run a motorcycle synthetic. However, the only advantage that Synthetics have is that the molecules don't break down as fast, but it will still get just as dirty, and your filter will get just as plugged... So, they actually recommend running a high quality non-synthetic, and changing in more often. This is what I do, and I find that my bike runs smoother, then when I used to run motorcycle synthetic, and change it later.
I HATE oil threads..so I'll say this and stop....

If you ask 10 people thier opinion on what is best for oil, you'll get 12 opinions. all different.

Read, search, google, ,,, then make up your OWN mind... There is more conjecture and outright BS in your avarage oil threads then a boys locker room after homecoming.

This thread is going that way now.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
I HATE oil threads..so I'll say this and stop....

If you ask 10 people thier opinion on what is best for oil, you'll get 12 opinions. all different.

Read, search, google, ,,, then make up your OWN mind... There is more conjecture and outright BS in your avarage oil threads then a boys locker room after homecoming.

This thread is going that way now.
Here here, I run straight conola oil in my bike, I find that when on a long ride, you can stop, take some out and fry up your own lunch, then just replace it and go....it is cheap and serves a dual purpose....and if you like that one, I have some great swamp land I would love to talk to you about in Alaska....LOL
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
been running rotella dino and a super tech filter for about 5k miles now

no complaints, runs and shifts great
Old 08-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Radiaoktiv
been running rotella dino and a super tech filter for about 5k miles now

no complaints, runs and shifts great
Yeah, but can you cook with it as well??? I mean dual uses, that is what it is all about.....
Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Squid

GrayHawk is on a distinguished road
Cool Oil and Filters

Two excellent articles are available about oil and filters. Check the following links:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

I'm using the Purolator Pure One filter PL14612, which I found at Advance Auto Parts. Ironically, it's the same filter that my Nissan Pathfinder uses. As for oil, they also carry Mobil-1 MX4T. As I understand from reading, the synthetic isn't really recommend until after break in.

After this, you should be an expert about oil and filters!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Squid

scorpius is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Oil

How often do you guys change your oil? What brands do you guys use? Why do you use that brand? what weight oil do you use? What types of filters?

Thanks,
Scorpius
Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
2-3000 miles.
Honda non-synthetic.
They built the engine and they approved the oil.
10w-40.
Purolator Pure One or Wal-Mart SuperTech.

Quick Reply: Oils