General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Newbie w/ a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Squid

svi40 is on a distinguished road
Newbie w/ a couple questions

First I guess I should say hello to everybody. I aquired an 02 superhawk about 2 weeks ago an I'm in love! Stepped up from a Bandit 600 (which I miss dearly) and I couldnt be happier.

I've been reading around a good bit and there is tons of good information on here. I'm still a bit stuck on some things though.

Firstly, what in the world is that beer can thing on the front left of the bike? Just ahead of the oil filter. I know I've seen pics of bikes on here without that thing. I wouldn't mind at all if mine didnt have it!

Second, I HAVE to get a good exhaust on this thing. It's begging for it. I'm pretty much set on Micron low mounts. The high mounts are nice but I love how the low slung factory level exhaust goes with the lines of the bike. My question is, do Microns, or any other manufacturer's low mount pipes taper in towards the middle of the bike like the factory pipes do? I really really like the way that looks and wouldn't be happy if they came straight back.

That's pretty much it for now, I'm sure there will be more though. Thanks again for the help!

-Keith
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Hey Keith,welcome aboard! Without a pic I'm going to take a wild stab and ask if you live in california? I know bikes there get those wonderful charcoal emissions canisters. Yeah the sound really makes these bikes. I've always liked pulling my pipes closer together too, but I always did it with high mounts and could just bend the hangers in. All the low mounts I've seen do seem to point straight back. Not sure since you can't bend the passenger pegs (easily anyway) if you could use some spacers to get the angle you wanted...you may have to experiment
Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The vapor storage canister, part of the EVAP system, has been required on all CA bikes since 1984. Its been on all cars since 1970. It doesn't affect the way the bike runs, just don't overfill the gas tank (keep it below the fill collar).
If you decide to remove it, keep the parts since CA Bureau of Automotive Repair has been talking about MC smog checks for several years. It may never happen, but who knows.

How many miles on yours? My '05 has almost 20k and the stock exhaust has gotten somewhat louder. Plus I don't want to mess with the carbs since mine runs so good.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
My Micron's can be mounted in either the stock position using stock brackets, or mounted in the high mount position using the included high mount brackets... I do like the tucked in look of the Jardine high mounts, however, after mounting my Micron's in a high mount position, they are absolutely sick looking... At first I thought they where to wide, but they really fill out the back of the bike and look nice and beefy...

but to answer the question, the Micron's can be run in the same position as your stockers do.

and yes... EXHAUST IS A MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST
Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Squid

That makes perfect sense. The original owner of the bike sold it becuase he was moving back to California. I'm going to have to figure out a way to lose that ugly ole thing.

I figured out the exhaust though. I had thought about a bafflectomy but dismissed it to debate over high mount or low mount aftermarket pipes. I figured, well what the hell I might as well try a bafflectomy. I drilled 4 holes, that was nice. Then 8, that was actually a big difference. Then I cut, hammered, jabbed, poked, prodded, grinded, and BINGO,... it's Puuuurfect. I can't believe the difference. If aftermarkets truly sound substantially better than this I would be amazed.

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Squid

btw - I took video of all stock, 4 holes, 8 holes, and full. I see if I can figure out a way to post it. That type of information really helped me make a decision earlier so I'll try to return the favor.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
When I removed that first baffle and drilled holes into the second the stockers sounded as good or better than any of the aftermarket pipes Ive ever had, and I've had a bunch over several superhawks. Plus for some reason they were the only pipes that didn't pop on decel either. From this point on it's going to be about the look, and if you care a few pounds less.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
post it on youtube.

I think the vtr has one of the best sounding bafflectomied pipes around. Yes, even the aftermarket has a hard time bettering it IMO; all that volume in a rigid container makes for great deep booming noises. And you can't beat the price.

Downside: still heavy and stock looks (negative for some folks) and you can't go back.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
to the club!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

codfish124 is an unknown quantity at this point
and i just put some two bros on mine and i can feel the waight deferance a lot i had debaffled my stockers sounded good but there still 40lbs. goog luck hope you get the right exhaust